Notices

Old 07-31-2009, 11:10 AM   #1
KingDani
Zealot
KingDani began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000s,Gigabyte U60 UMPC, SmartQ v7,EKEN M001
Some more Qs 'bout 700 , from your DR-loving friend

Hello all great Sony Reader fellas.
As previously have reported here , i am a proud DR1000s owner , and as some might remember , i have been graced with your cooperation on some comparisons made with SR 700.
now i have some questions from you :
1. i have got hold a 700 , and i can't help to notice , it works fantastically speedy , with small ( i tested 2mb non-scanned ebook ) and terribly slow with large ( 144 mb non-scanned ebook with pictures on occasion ) . is it some settings i should change to hasten the process? it takes 5 minutes to load the large one ,and even then it struggles to browse through pages. it says a "fromatting..." before showing the ebook , which frightened me at first , since the reader is not mine. but i guess it tries to redraw lines and columns.
2. between 505 ( or 500 ) and 700 , is there any sensible difference , in terms of loading books? honestly , i was amazed by the speed of browsing of this thing , and since most books i read are non-specialty driven ( i am a physician by the way ) , and they are all under 10mb , and since 700 supports MP3 audiobooks and pictures too , i thought maybe it can act as a really portable option ,as opposed to the cherished gigantic screen of DR1000

cheers
KingDani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:26 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Note that the PRS-600 will be out within a month (New Sony model to be called PRS-300 and PRS-600) and may have some improvements over the PRS-700.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2009, 12:28 PM   #3
KingDani
Zealot

well thanks for the heads up , but i can resist but to say , it would be outright stupid to call something that is specs-wise superior , numerically inferior.
anyway ,
i got this other question too:
. how does the battery fair for audiobooks? 2-3 hours?
Old 07-31-2009, 06:25 PM   #4
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDani View Post
Hello all great Sony Reader fellas.
As previously have reported here , i am a proud DR1000s owner , and as some might remember , i have been graced with your cooperation on some comparisons made with SR 700.
now i have some questions from you :
1. i have got hold a 700 , and i can't help to notice , it works fantastically speedy , with small ( i tested 2mb non-scanned ebook ) and terribly slow with large ( 144 mb non-scanned ebook with pictures on occasion ) . is it some settings i should change to hasten the process? it takes 5 minutes to load the large one ,and even then it struggles to browse through pages. it says a "fromatting..." before showing the ebook , which frightened me at first , since the reader is not mine. but i guess it tries to redraw lines and columns.
2. between 505 ( or 500 ) and 700 , is there any sensible difference , in terms of loading books? honestly , i was amazed by the speed of browsing of this thing , and since most books i read are non-specialty driven ( i am a physician by the way ) , and they are all under 10mb , and since 700 supports MP3 audiobooks and pictures too , i thought maybe it can act as a really portable option ,as opposed to the cherished gigantic screen of DR1000

cheers
I have the 505 and MP3 use does deplete the battery faster. (I never timed how long it lasts)

What format are the books you are using?

How are you putting them on the Reader?

Do you use the Sony eLibrary program? (I found that this helps in faster loading and opening)

Answers and or more information will help members in offering ideas / solutions / help.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:57 AM   #5
KingDani
Zealot

i found the new ipod nano 16bg , the best device for audiobooks so far. but i really would not object to some accessory device , which can comfortably acts dually inclusive , if it pass 3 hour mark , i am really a nutter on audiobooks.

as for your questions , I used both the USB and SD card methods , but found SD cards to be faster if it inserted to a separate card reader . i had no idea that using the device itself might let device reformat faster

i used the elibrary , but just for one file , i will try large files with this method and report back

and i always use PDF file format

cheers
Advert