Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-19-2011, 12:25 AM   #136
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_au View Post
I noticed that they have now increased the borrowing limit to 12 items.
Gees, I read a book a week so it seems a little wasteful and just encourages people to checkout books they are not going to have time to read unless you are a pretty good speed reader
I agree increasing the limit to 12 is a bit much. I was very pleased when the reservation limit was increased from 2 to 6 (where it remains) but I think anything over 6 for the borrowing limit is just wasteful and will lead to borrowers hoarding books - especially as Singapore doesn't have an option to reduce the borrrowing time as many other libraries do. ADE does allow you to return them early but many people seem unaware of this option.
I am a very fast reader and can easily read a book in a day but I normally borrow 2 or 3 at a time and then a few days later I return them and borrow some more. I never borrow to my limit as you can never tell when your reserved books will become available.
I suppose those who may have infrequent access to the internet or those who are going away on holidays may benefit from being able to borrow more books in one go but surely that is only a small number of people?
I would think that most people only read a few books at a time so all the other books they just borrowed are just going to be sitting in their account inaccessable to everyone else until they get around to returning them.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:37 AM   #137
Ryvyan
I read what I want.
Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, iPhone 6, Kobo Clara
Deleted because meh, no point.

Last edited by Ryvyan; 11-20-2011 at 06:44 AM. Reason: nvm.
Ryvyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:02 PM   #138
egillespie
egillespie began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox
I think that Singapore's Foreigner e-book borrowing loophole finally got closed? I am no longer able to access my account, not for the past 3 or 4 days.

Really, I wouldn't mind paying an annual fee (of a reasonable amount) to be able to access library systems remote from me, that have collections I am interested in. My local system is pitiful, and the average seems to be about 10 patrons on the wait list for book here.

If the above is true, then I will be very sad and disappointed--but on the other hand, I can't fault them. Just wish I could pay to be a member!
egillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:18 PM   #139
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by egillespie View Post
I think that Singapore's Foreigner e-book borrowing loophole finally got closed? I am no longer able to access my account, not for the past 3 or 4 days.

Really, I wouldn't mind paying an annual fee (of a reasonable amount) to be able to access library systems remote from me, that have collections I am interested in. My local system is pitiful, and the average seems to be about 10 patrons on the wait list for book here.

If the above is true, then I will be very sad and disappointed--but on the other hand, I can't fault them. Just wish I could pay to be a member!
See this thread (including a way to generate a NRIC number)...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=168105
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote