Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-20-2010, 06:20 AM   #46
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Peter Beagle: A Fine and Private Place.

Few have read this, but it's worth getting hold of. Probably not an ebook; I've got the pback.

I originally read it after a friend lent it to me many years ago; it was so good that I went out and bought it. Waterstones and other major bookstores didn't have it in stock, so had to order it. It's probably available on Amazon.
The most original story: set in a graveyard; main characters are two ghosts and a guy who (for reasons later revealed) can't leave the graveyard and is looked after by a talking raven who steals food for him.
Highly recommended.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:41 AM   #47
ensyed
Enthusiast
ensyed began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I too have several

Ender series
Miles Vorkisigon series (I imagined M J Fox as the lead character)
foundation series
Several books by Georgette Heyer
Dune
PG Wodehouse

A book I recently read and enjoyed is Blood of Flowers.
ensyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2010, 07:49 AM   #48
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
'Brave New World' by Aldous Huxley

It changed who I am.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:53 AM   #49
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Lemmus - A Time Trilogy by Julian Jay Savarin
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:42 PM   #50
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I can't narrow it down to a single book.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2010, 02:11 PM   #51
Steve Anderson
Addict
Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, laptop, more
I can't narrow it down either, no way. But today I'm going to go with A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole.

It's not what I usually read or write (I'm more of a historical espionage/crime noir thriller kind of guy) but I'm fascinated by this book because it doesn't seem to work and yet does.

Otherwise, I'd go with the better books by Graham Greene, Elmore Leonard, Patricia Highsmith ... Okay, I'll stop. I had to pick one.
Steve Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:02 PM   #52
Jonimeesermann
Connoisseur
Jonimeesermann began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia e71, Ipod Touch, Sony PRS 300
Definitely Harry Potter 4: The Goblet of Fire. Good Plot, exciting story, and a real breakthrough from its predecessor.
Followed closely by Tom Clancy's The Sum of All Fear.
Jonimeesermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:21 PM   #53
Coreman
Coreman began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
This one is easy for me...my criteria is what book would I buy again if I was traveling and needed something to read, even though I may have the book at home.

I have (3) paperback copies of "Red Storm Rising" on my bookshelf, all purchased while traveling and as a direct result of some very poor choices in reading material selection before those trips.

I'll bet most people don't recall that book came out about (9) months before a real meeting between Reagan/Gorbachev in Keflavik, Iceland. So when the meeting took place, I was already familiar with Iceland and Keflavik and the strategic importance of Iceland.

The other book I really enjoy is "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court"...just love how Twain plays the Connecticut Yankee off against Merlin...
Coreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:32 PM   #54
GrouchoM
Enthusiast
GrouchoM began at the beginning.

Device: none
I haven't read many but I'd have to say

1984 by Orwell
The Brothers Karamazov - Dostoyevsky
The Metamorphoses - Kafka
Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man - James Joyce
GrouchoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:43 PM   #55
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
The Lord of the Rings, hands down. I read it every exam period when I was supposed to be studying in college, and I've read it aloud to my kids several times.

The books that turned me on to reading as a kid were the Tom Swift, Jr. series and Tom Corbett, Space Cadet (esp. The Revolt on Venus).
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:06 AM   #56
Vintage Season
Pulps and dime novels...
Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura/Kobo Aura One LE/iPad Air
If you are going by the single volume I have purchased, read, and given as a gift more than any other tome in my collection, it would have to be Stranger in a Strange Land, by Robert A. Heinlein. There have been times when I felt like Mel Gibson's character in the film Conspiracy Theory, checking out of a used bookstore with multiple copies of Stranger, in various formats.

Now, if your definition of "favorite book" could be expanded to include "favorite series of anthologies," the honor would have to go to Isaac Asimov's three-volume Before the Golden Age (spanning 1931-1938) and continuing with all twenty-five volumes of Isaac Asimov Presents The Great SF Stories (1939-1963). What a colossal literary education, in paperback form!

- M.
Vintage Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:42 AM   #57
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
To pick only one is very, very difficult. Ultimately, it has to be Lord of the Rings though. Reading this in me early teens was a life changing experience, and is the only book (apart from Dune) that gets re-read at least every other year.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 04:42 AM   #58
Mrraow
Bookworm
Mrraow doesn't litterMrraow doesn't litter

Device: Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Peter Beagle: A Fine and Private Place.
Another excellent choice. I'm off to re-read it now!
Mrraow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:53 AM   #59
dfigueroa
La Guera en Manzanillo
dfigueroa is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2 Global
At the risk of being trite, or being laughed out of here:

The Prince of Tides or
When We Were Six, lol!
dfigueroa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:34 PM   #60
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
1984 by George Orwell

We're almost there now...
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote