Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-16-2009, 03:01 PM   #1
ankit
ankit began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
sony ebook store or amazon?

Not sure if this is the right place for this question. I recently ordered a PRS300 (still waiting for it to be delivered). I spent the last couple of days looking at the various ebook stores, formats and converters etc. I am now fairly comfortable with stripping DRM, and converting between formats etc (played with free books on amazon and the sony store).

Now that I would actually like to buy a book (available for the same price on both amazon and the sony store), I am not sure which route to go. Should I get it from amazon (on my iphone), de-drm it and put it on the sony reader? This way I have the book on my iphone as well as the PRS300, and know that I will still be able to read it if I switch away from a sony reader. If I buy from the sony store, I am stuck with reading it on the PRS300, and am tied to the sony format (at least until they switch to EPUB).

What do most people here do? How good is the conversion from the kindle format to something sony can read? Is there a chance that I might lose out on the formatting etc? Will sony allow us to re-download the book in EPUB format once they switch?

I would like to just buy it from Sony and be done with it, but buying from Amazon definitely has its advantages!
ankit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:11 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankit View Post
What do most people here do?
Don't know about most, but I never buy a format I can't uninfect.

Quote:
How good is the conversion from the kindle format to something sony can read?
Usually pretty good. Calibre makes pretty good ePub's and if need be they can also be tweaked by hand or with Sigil. The .5x versions of Calibre made nice LRF's too, haven't tried it in the newer versions to see if anything's changed.

Quote:
Will sony allow us to re-download the book in EPUB format once they switch?
Someone has posted that Sony told them the answer to this was yes, don't know who they talked to. I don't think I've seen anything 'official' from Sony on the subject.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert