Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 09-30-2012, 08:22 PM   #1
richardhc
richardhc began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
[Android App] Calibre Companion - incompatible

For Calibre Companion Google Play says "this app is incompatible with all your devices"
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and have just updated to Android 4.
Is this because the updated tablet is using the Media Device Transfer Protocol?
richardhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:04 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardhc View Post
Is this because the updated tablet is using the Media Device Transfer Protocol?
No, I am running 4.1 with no problems. Since this app connects via wireless, MTP isn't a consideration.

I'm sure Steve or Charles will drop by at some point to clarify or correct this issue.

Good Reading!
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2012, 02:16 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
There shouldn't be any problem with running CC on your tablet. It is a mystery to me why GP is complaining, because the Galaxy Tab 10.1 is officially listed as supported. Here is the list of supported Tab 10.1s.
Galaxy Tab 10.1(GT-P7500)
Galaxy Tab 10.1(SC-01D)
Galaxy Tab 10.1(SCH-I905)
Galaxy Tab 10.1(SHW-M300W)
Galaxy Tab 10.1(SHW-M380K)
Galaxy Tab 10.1(SHW-M380S)
Galaxy Tab 10.1(SHW-M380W)
Galaxy Tab 10.1v(p3)
Is the update an "official" one? If not, then there might be a problem with how the device is reporting itself to Google Play, for example as something other than a Tab. You can check what devices GP knows about by going to play.google.com, signing in, clicking on "My Orders & Settings" (at the bottom of the page), then the "Settings" tab. You should see all the devices that GP knows about. If the upgrade is official, is it new? It could be that GP needs some time to upgrade its devices database.

Another thing to try is to sign on to google play from your upgraded tab. It might help if you force GP to reinitialize itself. To do this, go to settings, apps, google play store and press "Clear Data", then restart GP. I don't know if this will change anything.

Unfortunately we have no control at all over how GP decides if a device is compatible. The only restriction we put on CC is that the device must be running Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) or higher. Clearly your tablet satisfies that restriction. Sigh...

EDIT: we also require that the device have WiFi. Is it possible that your tab doesn't have it?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:47 AM   #4
richardhc
richardhc began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I think I know what the problem is - we live one of the 150 or so "banned" countries and while we can download free apps we can't download a paid app. Which is a royal pain and unbelievably dumb on Google's part (Apple users have no problems paying for apps here in New Caledonia).
We'll try to download the program next time we are in an "approved" google country.
richardhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:19 PM   #5
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
I have two Android devices: a Nexus 7 tablet and an HTC Evo 3D phone, both running Android OS 4.03 or higher. The Nexus tablet will connect with both Wireless and Content Server modes. The HTC phone will connect only with the Content Server mode, the Wireless attempt failing with the "Not connected to calibre" message.

Now granted, I can get connected by CS mode, I'd still like to know what the problem is with Wireless mode and the phone. I'm just built that way. Anyone have any ideas? I have tried this with calibre running on a Mac laptop and my Windows 7 machine.

Thanks.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2012, 04:55 PM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
I have two Android devices: a Nexus 7 tablet and an HTC Evo 3D phone, both running Android OS 4.03 or higher. The Nexus tablet will connect with both Wireless and Content Server modes. The HTC phone will connect only with the Content Server mode, the Wireless attempt failing with the "Not connected to calibre" message.

Now granted, I can get connected by CS mode, I'd still like to know what the problem is with Wireless mode and the phone. I'm just built that way. Anyone have any ideas? I have tried this with calibre running on a Mac laptop and my Windows 7 machine.

Thanks.
It is hard to know what is going on.

The first thing to look at is what might be different between the two cases. Are both devices connecting to the same computer running calibre? Does anything change on that computer between attempts to connect the Nexus and the HTC? Are the CC connection setups on the HTC and the Nexus identical? Are both devices connecting to the same wireless network?

If the computer running calibre is the same for both devices then my guess, and it is only a guess, is that the content server setup on the two devices specifies an IP address and port while the wireless device setup is "automatic". Under this hypothesis, I would further guess the HTC is not handling broadcast network packets in the same way as the Nexus, leading to the HTC failing to find calibre.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:50 AM   #7
shiquanwang
shiquanwang began at the beginning.

Device: none
I am facing the same issue.
From Google Play: "This app is incompatible with all of your devices."
From Amazon appstore: Please check your billing address or payment method is in supported countries.

Anyway that I can buy the app (I am willing to pay).
shiquanwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:58 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiquanwang View Post
I am facing the same issue.
From Google Play: "This app is incompatible with all of your devices."
From Amazon appstore: Please check your billing address or payment method is in supported countries.

Anyway that I can buy the app (I am willing to pay).
We don't sell CC through any channels except Google Play or Amazon. There is no alternative if they won't sell to you.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:01 AM   #9
shiquanwang
shiquanwang began at the beginning.

Device: none
Wow~~ such a pitty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
We don't sell CC through any channels except Google Play or Amazon. There is no alternative if they won't sell to you.
shiquanwang is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android 4, calibre companion, ics, samsung galaxy 10.1