Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-24-2008, 01:47 AM   #16
suineg
suineg began at the beginning.

Device: Sony E-Reader
A sony laptop incompatible with charging a sony ereader?

Hilarious
suineg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:43 PM   #17
Shadowman
Shadowman began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500
THX a lot Dordale! But where is the thread? ;-)

Last edited by Shadowman; 07-24-2008 at 01:50 PM.
Shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2008, 01:47 PM   #18
Shadowman

Hey Suineg,

Yes it is hilarious, but look to this Memory Stick Chaos. My old SONY Memory Stick from the PRS 500 doesn't fit the 505 ;-) All money making. I lost in the last year a lot of trust in SONY...by the way, myDesktop VGN 520 (that's our third in the family) didn't charge my 505 either and 275 bucks for a refurbished PRS 500 is rediculous... my VGN 520 became the warrenty was over on the left and on the right green stripes on the screen, they became bigger over the time... This device is 2 years old...Questions?

Have a good day!

Shadowman

Last edited by Shadowman; 07-24-2008 at 01:49 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:13 PM   #19
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Woops!

Shadwoman--Here's the link to the 505 Hack:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23143

But, please note--from what I've read in this forum, the hack does NOT work correctly with the newest firmware released today (7/24/08). So if you've updated your firmware, you'll need to wait for an updated hack.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:35 AM   #20
Shadowman

OK Thx. I plan to update my reader today. Si I'll wait for the new hack. ;-)

Shadowman
Advert
Old 08-08-2008, 09:04 AM   #21
vinniet
Connoisseur
vinniet has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-500
Unhappy

I think I know the answer but I wanted to see if I am right. I charged my PRS500 overnight then I was half charged. When I turned it on it rebooted. I came to the first arrow-circle thing then it shut off. When I try to turn it on I get a flash of yellow light by the power switch. Also when I plug it in via USB I get that too.

Think the battery got drained and I need the AC adapter? I am just worried and going through withdraw without my reader.
vinniet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 01:08 PM   #22
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
I will play the broken record here. USE A PSP CHARGER FOR YOUR READER, NOT A USB CHARGER!!!!!

Seriously, usb charging on a pc is iffy at best (it sometimes drains the battery!), and usually doesn't work from a wall charger.

The PSP charger (yellow round jack) ALWAYS works. It's faster than usb charging too. You can get PSP chargers (wall outlet or car charger) ANYWHERE. You can even get a PSP power/data cable if you really want to charge from a ccomputer's usb connection. (Use the round yellow PSP plug, NOT the mini-usb plug!)
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 09:15 PM   #23
vinniet
Connoisseur
vinniet has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
I will play the broken record here. USE A PSP CHARGER FOR YOUR READER, NOT A USB CHARGER!!!!!

Seriously, usb charging on a pc is iffy at best (it sometimes drains the battery!), and usually doesn't work from a wall charger.

The PSP charger (yellow round jack) ALWAYS works. It's faster than usb charging too. You can get PSP chargers (wall outlet or car charger) ANYWHERE. You can even get a PSP power/data cable if you really want to charge from a ccomputer's usb connection. (Use the round yellow PSP plug, NOT the mini-usb plug!)
OK Like I said in my post I thought that was what it was. I do not need a PSP charger since it came with a charger. SO CALM DOWN!!

Seriously I had this fear since it did boot up and then when it was reading the books it went black. I thought I bricked it since I charged it the night before for a year the same way via USB.
vinniet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:41 PM   #24
memewolf
memewolf began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
If I reset my reader will I lose my books...either soft reset or hard reset???

Since I do not have a DC plug in what is my best option again?
memewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:14 PM   #25
Fayth
Zealot
Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
The charging with USB cable works only when connected to a computer. It should, however, charge from a laptop. Did you try another USB port or another laptop/PC?
Alternatively, you can buy a PSP car charger which will work fine with the Reader.
Here's one: http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/6093.htm
For the record, I've charged my reader with my PS3, because I didn't feel like booting up my computer at the time.
Fayth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:18 PM   #26
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
These Sony readers always had the flaw of not charging from USB if the battery gets too low. It doesn't matter what PC you hook it up to then. They really should have shipped with a PSP charger.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:36 PM   #27
Lirael
Moomin
Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by memewolf View Post
If I reset my reader will I lose my books...either soft reset or hard reset???

Since I do not have a DC plug in what is my best option again?
I can't speak for other models but with the 505 a soft reset leaves all your books intact, a hard reset does not. It's probably best to back them up before doing anything.
Lirael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:13 PM   #28
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcinfoman View Post
I plugged it into my computer usb port to recharge like I do every night for about an hour then turned off the computer.

This will drain the reader, as the power is cut off to the USB ports when the computer is off.

Just leave it hooked up for a while, and it should come back. Most likely, the reason it seemed to start working on the Mac is, you got the battery charged enough for the unit to respond.

My iPHone acts like this at time.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote