Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-26-2012, 07:34 PM   #16
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
I too liked those phones they had on "Earth Final Conflict" where they just pulled the screen out of a cylinder like device, but I don't think the bendy sheets they are talking about will contort as much as that. I think that they are perhaps just less likely to break.

That is not to say that a screen that could roll up into a tight tube wouldn't be welcome.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:01 PM   #17
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The most important aspect of it isn't so much the "bendiness", but the fact that a reader with such a screen, even if rigid, would be a lot more resilient to accidental breakage.
Tough call for me which is more important, the durability or the ability to unfold a small package into a larger usable display surface, but since apparently BOTH benefits are in play here, this could be a real boon all around!
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2012, 07:51 PM   #18
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I think that this technology would make large size readers feasible. The current technology gets heavier and more fragile with size (not only is there more heavy glass, but the frame has to be made even stiffer to keep the glass from flexing), and I suspect that a reader bigger than the current 9.7" limit would be too heavy to use comfortably. Once you get rid of the glass, the device could be a lot lighter, and then holding it for long periods of time wouldn't be a problem. We could finally see letter/A4 size displays.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote