Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-26-2012, 03:38 PM   #16
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Again, it is extremely hard to tell from those photo. You again stacked them which throws the focus off for one or the other and causes shadowing, and in the side by side you took it at a very low angle which causes most of the screen to be out of focus. Try straight on side by side shots.
Maybe they should call the K4B the Kindle Paperwhite. It's not white like a ghost but it's the nearest I have seen without a light built in.

I can clear tell on the 3rd one the black is the better of the two. I guess you have to have looked at hundreds of pics like I have since they came out to immediately notice the difference. The Silver has that tint to it that just looks so ugh. I like the black's background which is so nice and clean with no tint.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:41 PM   #17
oldbook
Enthusiast
oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Low ligth, that a good hint. I will try it.
oldbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2012, 04:04 PM   #18
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Maybe they should call the K4B the Kindle Paperwhite. It's not white like a ghost but it's the nearest I have seen without a light built in.
Blossom, your posts makes me want a K4B. I wish it had a touch screen though. I really prefer touch screens mainly because I do a lot of highlighting. I have to say my Kindle Touch screen is definitely whiter outside in the sun compared to my PW with the light at its highest. Kinda sad really.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:17 PM   #19
oldbook
Enthusiast
oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

some last picts, some of them in the dark
maybe I have not a good K4S but a bad K4B?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle6.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	260.6 KB
ID:	94964   Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle7.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	94965   Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle8.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	94966  
Old 10-26-2012, 04:24 PM   #20
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbook View Post
some last picts, some of them in the dark
maybe I have not a good K4S but a bad K4B?
Not sure what the dark pics are for but yeah I would say your K4S is one of the good ones. eInk varies specially in the Silver line of the K4. Like I said I would read with both of them in low lighting not dark but you know lamp side and see which ones is more comfortable and I would keep that one.
Advert
Old 10-26-2012, 04:25 PM   #21
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Blossom, your posts makes me want a K4B. I wish it had a touch screen though. I really prefer touch screens mainly because I do a lot of highlighting. I have to say my Kindle Touch screen is definitely whiter outside in the sun compared to my PW with the light at its highest. Kinda sad really.
Yeah the downside of the K4 is if you takes alot of notes or highlight it can be a bit of a pain. If you just read though it's the perfect Kindle.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:41 PM   #22
DrunkenDonkey
Connoisseur
DrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle PW2
On these pics, I like his K4S more, but he's got a recent purchase directly from amazon, so they might as well started making them with the new screens and the only difference is a small varying screen quality. Daylight pics are awesome
DrunkenDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:16 PM   #23
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Not sure what the dark pics are for but yeah I would say your K4S is one of the good ones. eInk varies specially in the Silver line of the K4. Like I said I would read with both of them in low lighting not dark but you know lamp side and see which ones is more comfortable and I would keep that one.
You told him to take photos in less light, so I think that is what he did. Interestingly the photos of the two K4 models in the low light both show the Black having darker text with more contrast. The first photo gave the edge to the Silver but I think only because it was in the center and the lighting was focused on it and dropped of to the side models. I agree that this Silver model is much better than most I've seen including the one I had.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:18 PM   #24
Martyd
Zealot
Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard,nexus 7,Kindle Voyage
So Amazon puts out a silver with a good screen to move all of the old stock that's in retail stores. Customers who go to the site and then buy at B&M, may get the dreaded low contrast screen. Great marketing idea.
Martyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #25
oldbook
Enthusiast

Forgot to mention: On the K4S was 4.1 preinstalled.

The back cover finish on the black seems to be more robust without gabs on the corners.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:43 PM   #26
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
Hello oldbook...

Go back and re-read your first post. Ignore everything that came after.

If you have to turn handsprings to make one seem better than the other, then the difference is irrelevant. I am not even going to comment on which (if either) of the two looked better in your various pics.

Just enjoy your Kindles, either or both of them, as the mood takes you.
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:07 PM   #27
oldbook
Enthusiast

Hi there

So, I tested both of them today in various daylight conditions:

The black one shows fingerprints and dust in bright sunlight very well

In bright sunlight the grey is easier to read but afternoon reading shows that the black one has a slight darker font.

If you compare it with the black frame the font is still "dark grey".....but darker than the silvergrey fonts.

The silver-grey material look in daylight better too.

Conclusion: I will sent the silver-gray back, keep my old K3G Keybord, keep the new K4B and cancel the KPW preorder.

Last edited by oldbook; 10-28-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:01 PM   #28
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbook View Post
Hi there

So, I tested both of them today in various daylight conditions:

The black one shows fingerprints and dust in bright sunlight very well

In bright sunlight the grey is easier to read but afternoon reading shows that the black one has a slight darker font.

If you compare it with the black frame the font is still "dark grey".....but darker than the silvergrey fonts.

The silver-grey material look in daylight better too.

Conclusion: I will sent the silver-gray back, keep my old K3G Keybord, keep the new K4B and cancel the KPW preorder.
Good job on testing. It's all about the lighting and where you read that counts.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:31 PM   #29
Lutraa
Well Read
Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK 3G, K4B, Nook HD+, Galaxy S3
Is the 2011 K4S the same as the 2012 K4Gray? I ask because I wondered if the silver model was shinier than the gray one I could have bought instead of the K4B I got earlier this month. Elsewhere on this site there is speculation that the screens on the 2012 models are better.

Although the bezel colors differ, I really don't detect any difference in reading ease or eye strain between my 2012 K4B and my graphite 2010 KK3G. I don't think I'd like a bright-colored cover that butted up against the screen, though.
Lutraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:02 PM   #30
Binko
Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I just yesterday received a Black K4 as a replacement for the Paperwhite I returned.

For pure reading it is wonderful. The contrast is the highest I've seen in any eInk device and I can tell the hardware is a newer generation because the page turns are almost instantaneous like they were with the paperwhite.

I especially love how black the text seems instead of the varied shades of washed out dark gray on the PW.
Binko is offline   Reply With Quote