Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-28-2012, 07:34 AM   #1
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
which tablet

I am looking at Onda VI10 Elite ICS 7inch 5 points multitouch 4.0.3 1024*600px 1GB RAM 8GB HDMI for my husband to use as an ereader. we have decided that a tablet is the direction he wants over an dedicated ereader. He has been lured by the app store and all the things he can play with minus rooting an ereader. This would also be very handy for work emails on the road.

we want to know we are on the right track tho. I gather there are heaps of software for ebooks and I already have calibre for putting stuff on my kindle. we have also made sure the screen is High Resolution 1024*600px.

For me and my vision problems I had to get e ink hence the kindle touch, but he has none so I can not see with a decent screen why he can not have colour and apps.

http://www.merimobiles.com/ProductDe...I3432&CartID=1

can anybody see a problem with this.

thanks

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:02 PM   #2
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
I would stay away from no name Android tablets. It is best to go with a reputable brand. Reviews say the screen is bad and the battery life is awful. Get an IPS screen and something with at least 8 hrs of battery life, since he's going to use it on the road.

http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/3053...-notch-review/
http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/3021...lite-thoughts/

If you are buying a tablet without seeing it in person (which I highly recommend you do), you should extensively read online reviews.

Also, as an Android tablet owner, I caution you that the app availability situation can be troublesome, depending on how wide a variety of apps and what sort of apps he wants. If he only wants email and reading apps, he may as well get Kindle or Nook Tablet. If he wants gaming, he should get a Tegra3 based tablet.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2012, 01:27 AM   #3
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

AINOL Novo 7 Elf is the one in the lead now. He is not much of a gamer. Just simple things and he likes the more basic apps he has on his iphone to keep records of his collections and intersts. We just thought it best to have basic flash game capabilities he plays the zynga draw game with the daughter. He just likes to fiddle. He doesnt work away but is on the road all day. It would be his back up email and ereader while waiting for clients. He carries a laptop and iphone, but firing up the laptop is annoying to read and the iphone useless for that. We plan to use this as a test to see who likes to read using one as we have 18 year old twins. Both say they want a tablet over an ereader for reading books. I personally think one if not all 3, husband included will change their minds and want dedicated ebook readers once they play with the tablet and the novelty wears off. Hence a total unwillingness to spend big bucks on a samsung or apple tablet. I feel they all have iphones or the galaxy s2 for phones all their little fun things can be done on them and save the eye strain and have a plain old eink ereader.

thank you so much for pointing out the terrible screen
Old 04-29-2012, 04:15 AM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I've never heard of them so I couldn't recommend them. Personally I'd go with a name brand and especially shop for a device that has a good screen.

For the price range your looking at the closest would be the Lenovo A1 or the Samsung galaxy tab2.

I'd strongly recommend the tab2 especially if he plans to play flash based games.

In a side note,I went from a dedicated eInk device to a 7" tablet and I have not looked back. The hassle of having to convert everything to one file format, or cropping PDFs to fit on a 6" device is completely eliminated on my tablet I can read any format with color... just awesome. In addition all the productivity apps really make the tablet a better choice, for me.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:28 AM   #5
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
I would agree with =X= and charmian. Even if your family doesn't end up using it as an e-reader, I suspect you will find that a tablet is a useful thing to have around. Spend a bit more and get a quality one.
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2012, 09:13 AM   #6
applesauce
Addict

thanks everybody we will do a lot more looking around

applesauce
Old 04-30-2012, 01:41 PM   #7
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmian View Post
If you are buying a tablet without seeing it in person (which I highly recommend you do), you should extensively read online reviews.
You highly recommend they buy a tablet without seeing it in person? Why?
ApK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:48 PM   #8
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
Whoops, that was a mistake. I meant that I highly recommend you don't.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:02 AM   #9
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I spent the last 6 months doing a tablet search. I looked at all of the android based tablets and ended up concluding that the onyl two on my radar were the Samsung Galaxy and the IPad. I ended up going with the IPad. I miss being able to play my flash based games on the IPad but have found plenty more to play that I enjoy even more.

I choose the IPad because so many of my friends have one and if I wanted to be able to play some of my favorite non-flashbased games, I would need to have an IPad. It took a long time for me to get there. 1) They are expensive 2) Apple drives me nuts in many ways 3) I am stubborn. In the end, the desire to play with my friends overruled my Apple drives me nuts feelings and I went with the IPad.

If your hubby thinks that it is important to be able to play with your daughter and needs flash, go with the Samsung.

The reviews I read on most of the other android tablets basicly were a really mixed bag with some people loving them and others having tons of trouble. I found less of that with the Samsung and the IPad.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote