Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-19-2011, 11:30 AM   #1
prsmith
prsmith began at the beginning.

Device: Vox
Kobo WIFI E-Reader - is it any good?

Hello,

I see that Wal-Mart has the Kobo WIFI ereader on sale in Canada for $88. I have been following teh growing pains of the Vox, and was not enamoured with the screen sensitivity of the Touch (maybe because I was trying store samples)

All I want is an ereader that I will have along with the Asus Transformer Prime in the near future. I also want teh ereader to be able to read elibrary boks

Is the subject reader any good? Any problems or deficiencies I should worry about?

Thanks for any advice you send my way

Preston
prsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:30 PM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
FWIW, the "rightness" of the screen sensitivity of the Touch in the beta version we have for testing will make a great many people here very happy.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2011, 12:30 PM   #3
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
For Epubs and Library epubs it's great (Not really for PDF's, the touch handles them better but still not very good.) Battery life is good and the price is too.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:39 PM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The WiFi device is still being actively developed. It's been a long time since we have had an update--but we've been told that one there are plans for adding Pulse and other features. That being said, it is an older device, and although Kobo will no doubt support it for quite some time, they may stop adding features into it while they are still actively developing for the Touch.

I think it is a heck of a bargain and a great simple reader.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:00 PM   #5
JedV
Kobo Toucher
JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kobo Touch
Like taming said above, firmware changes happen. The retail displays I have seen for the Kobo Touch are never the latest firmware version, and show in my opinion, a sub-par product.

I prefer the Kobo Touch because you can set the screen refresh interval from 1 to 6 pages (i.e. the 'black flash' that occurs during page turns). On the Kobo Wifi, the screen flashes black once per page turn. I also believe that the processor is somewhat slower, so book loading and page turns are not as fast.
JedV is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2011, 03:36 PM   #6
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
I'd go with the Touch. Page turns are much faster and the Touch is quite speedy when doing things compared to the WiFi. Also navigating amongst multiple books in your library with the WiFi using the green pad is a pain.

The touch part is quite decent in my opinion. Occasionally it won't register a page turn touch so I hit it again and it turns two pages. But a page turn back and all is well.

And it's nice to read that the sensitivity of the touch will be adjusted in the next version.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 04:33 PM   #7
46jimbo
Zealot
46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Touch + Kobo Aura
I have both devices. The Touch is definitely the superior reader. But $88 for the Wifi is a good deal too.
46jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 04:53 PM   #8
digiSara
Groupie
digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: Kobo wifi
I've been using the Wifi, every day for nearly a year and still love it - for me, I have no reason to move to the Touch, since the Wifi does everything I need it to do. For that price, it's a good deal!
digiSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 05:57 PM   #9
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
I think the wifi version is great. I have a touch now but you can't go wrong with the wifi.
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:12 PM   #10
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I loaned my touch to son for week and went back to reading on wifi. It still is a joy to read on but took a while to break my tapping screen for page turns. Paging through library is noticeably slower than touch. Blank screen between page turns has never bothered me but have never liked stiff rubber cover on 5 way switch. Overall using the wifi was going back with comfortable old friend. Still a low priced bargain.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:08 PM   #11
prsmith
prsmith began at the beginning.

Device: Vox
Thanks folks for your thoughts and honest answers

I hit my local Wal-Mart today to get one and they sold about 150 of them in a heart beat when the sale flyer hit the streets

So I am back on hold assessing the Vox and waiting for the Transformer Prime

Preston
prsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:20 PM   #12
taming
Trying for calm & polite

The Vox is a very different device/experience than the Touch or the WiFi. It is not eINK, it is heavier, and the battery life is not as good. Here in Canada, we are beginning to see things like $25 gift cards with the Touch. I am also expecting to see it discounted at places like Walmart.

I am not trying to talk you out of buying a Vox, or any other more tablet like device, just be aware of the differences.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:10 AM   #13
ErinLindsey
ErinLindsey began at the beginning.

Device: K-Fire, Kindle 2, Kindle 3, Kobo, iPad3, iPad Mini, HTC Evo
I bought a Kobo Wifi back when Borders was going out of business (paid about $69 before tax, think they were originally $99) and even tho I've owned 4 Kindles now, I do like reading on the Kobo. I prefer my Kindles, but the Kobo Wifi is a great ereader if you can get it cheap. (they're $59 at Best Buy right now. Refurbed tho..)
ErinLindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:34 PM   #14
AndyfromVA
Zealot
AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook 1E, K3, K4, Paperwhite 2
I also bought a Kobo WiFi at a Border's going-out-of-business sale and paid only $50. It's a cool little e-reader. My version had 100 Gutenberg classics preloaded and I've really enjoyed them. The Kobo WiFi is very light, thin and easy to use. It has a nice, sharp e-ink screen and, to my eyes, the screen is every bit as readable as the ones on my Nook and Kindle. It's not as quick as my other e-readers but it does the job. However, the Kobo Touch, Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard and Nook Simple Touch are so cheap right now it's hard to justify buying the Kobo WiFi.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote