Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-09-2015, 08:20 PM   #61
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianinmaine View Post
Mostly it's easier to use the image to develop in, then export what you compile or need as dependencies. Fun to be able to, but practical?
I recall that Twobob had one, quite large, graphics package that had so many cross-compile related problems that he **had** to build it native compiled (on a K5).

It only took the Kindle 4 1/2 days to finish the job.

Moral: Sometimes it is necessary, even if not practical.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 12:49 AM   #62
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Touch (5.3.7)
yeah - pretty sure that was his messing with midoori or something gtk related...
brianinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2017, 07:44 AM   #63
tinkerwinker
tinkerwinker began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Guys, how does this image work with OTG? Could it do it with keyboard and mouse and such?

In case someone is looking for the dead link in the first post, here it is.

The links to the files are dead as they were hosted in the expired domain too, but you can find more mirrors around this thread (thanks for sharing!)

Hey Everyone! I’ve been playing with my kindle recently and decided to post about what i’ve been doing. I’ve installed Debian Unstable on the Kindle via a chroot. Here is a tutorial on how to do it yourself. What you will need:

My Debian Image (Available Here) (Use 7zip)
The Chroot BootLoader (Available Here)
Jailbroken Kindle with USB Net Hack

Great! Lets get started. Start by copying debian.ext3 and bootdebian.sh to your kindle via usb. Put your kindle in usb network mode by using “;debugon” and “~usbnetwork” Connect to your kindle via SSH. The following steps must be done over ssh, not using luigis terminal! type the following commands:

Code:
cd /mnt/us
./bootdebian.sh
Congrats, you should now see:

Code:
[*] Mounting Rootfs...[*] Preparing Filesystem...[*] Preparing Network Connections...[*] Starting Shell...
bash: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_US.UTF-8)
I have no name!@kindle:/#
You are not running debian, but if you try, a lot of things won’t work. This is because its an unconfigured debian install. Lets fix that

Code:
dpkg --configure -a
You will run through the install process, select your area and timezone. If you get an error about dash, run the following command:

Code:
/var/lib/dpkg/info/dash.preinst install
And rerun the dpkg command

Now type,

Code:
exit
./bootdebian.sh
and you are running a working debian install! You can install software via apt-get! Im currently working on an easy image with working x, so you could run graphical apps! Im currently saving for a sheeva plug for easy compiling, if youd like to help i have a donation button on the side of the screen

The Following Steps are Optional!

Extend Filesize: By default, i set up the file size at 500mb. This is enough to install some apps, but if you want more, run the following commands on a linux host. Copy debian.ext3 from your kindle first. (This example will increase it by 500mb)

Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=debian.ext3 bs=1M count=500 oflag=append conv=notrunc
e2fsck -f debian.ext3
resize2fs debian.ext3
Onscreen Terminal: You can run apps on your kindles display using a terminal developed by luigi. By default, luigis terminal only uses half the screen. I modified it to use the entire screen, you can get the modified version here: http://xkid.biz/projects/kindle/kiterm-20110107fs.zip I dont think i could write a better tutorial then tinyapps.org, you can view the tutorial here: http://tinyapps.org/docs/kindle_stan..._terminal.html
tinkerwinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 08:43 AM   #64
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do not expect to compile code in this chroot for the Kindle.
Debian/Unstable uses a kernel and gLibc that is newer than what is running on the Kindle.
And it is hardware floating point, the Kindle uses software floating point.

Your info box says you only have a Kobo.
Have you actually tried this on a K3?

The links that you do have that are working, are to very old add-ins for the K3 keyboard, not for current Kindle models.

Just scroll up to post 48 of this thread, it has links to the original on several cloud servers.
Than one is specifically setup for compatibility with the '5' series (touch screen) Kindles.

Lots of luck, getting X11 running on the K3 keyboard.
It has been tried before.

If you had stuck with the touch screen models, which this thread topic is intended for, you would find they are already running X11.

Last edited by knc1; 02-05-2017 at 09:08 AM.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:28 AM   #65
tinkerwinker

hello knc1,

sorry if I haven't been clear enough, but beside the first line what I wrote is not "mine".
In the first post of the topic there is a link to the tutorial, and many were complaining that the link is dead. So I used the timeback machine of the internet archive, I copy and pasted it here. It may be outdated, incorrect, whatever, I don't know, I just paste it

I do not own a kindle, actually not even a kobo as mine broke few months ago, but in the local ads I found a cheap one, so I was getting couple of infos before buying it, that's all. I used to kobo more as a tablet than a ebook reader really, so before getting the kindle I wanted to know if that is doable.

The kobo I found is a touch one, so as you tell me, it should be doable!

thank you for your reply
Advert
Old 02-06-2017, 08:44 AM   #66
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerwinker View Post
hello knc1,

sorry if I haven't been clear enough, but beside the first line what I wrote is not "mine".
In the first post of the topic there is a link to the tutorial, and many were complaining that the link is dead. So I used the timeback machine of the internet archive, I copy and pasted it here. It may be outdated, incorrect, whatever, I don't know, I just paste it

I do not own a kindle, actually not even a kobo as mine broke few months ago, but in the local ads I found a cheap one, so I was getting couple of infos before buying it, that's all. I used to kobo more as a tablet than a ebook reader really, so before getting the kindle I wanted to know if that is doable.

The kobo I found is a touch one, so as you tell me, it should be doable!

thank you for your reply
You are in the wrong forum, this is for the Amazon grayscale Kindle.
There is a different forum here for Kobo devices.

Do not post things here as if it was something you have used, or at least tested on one of the devices that we support.

The Internet is full of B.S. but that does not mean we want similar content mis-placed here.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:42 PM   #67
tinkerwinker

knc1, again: I haven't posted anything from my experience, I just recover the link from the very first post of this topic( this one: http://xkid.biz/wordpress/?p=4 ) and pasted it here, as I clearly stated by saying:

Quote:

And I did it for anyone who wants to read that link. That's all.
Beside that I just kindly asked if the OTG worked with such setup. -that's it-
No BS, no weird stuff.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:49 PM   #68
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerwinker View Post
Guys, how does this image work with OTG? Could it do it with keyboard and mouse and such?

The links to the files are dead as they were hosted in the expired domain too, but you can find more mirrors around this thread (thanks for sharing!)

Hey Everyone! I’ve been playing with my kindle recently and decided to post about what i’ve been doing. I’ve installed Debian Unstable on the Kindle via a chroot. Here is a tutorial on how to do it yourself. What you will need:

My Debian Image (Available Here) (Use 7zip)
The Chroot BootLoader (Available Here)
Jailbroken Kindle with USB Net Hack

Great! Lets get started. Start by copying debian.ext3 and bootdebian.sh to your kindle via usb. Put your kindle in usb network mode by using “;debugon” and “~usbnetwork” Connect to your kindle via SSH. The following steps must be done over ssh, not using luigis terminal! type the following commands:

Code:
cd /mnt/us
./bootdebian.sh
Congrats, you should now see:

Code:
[*] Mounting Rootfs...[*] Preparing Filesystem...[*] Preparing Network Connections...[*] Starting Shell...
bash: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_US.UTF-8)
I have no name!@kindle:/#
You are not running debian, but if you try, a lot of things won’t work. This is because its an unconfigured debian install. Lets fix that

Code:
dpkg --configure -a
You will run through the install process, select your area and timezone. If you get an error about dash, run the following command:

Code:
/var/lib/dpkg/info/dash.preinst install
And rerun the dpkg command

Now type,

Code:
exit
./bootdebian.sh
and you are running a working debian install! You can install software via apt-get! Im currently working on an easy image with working x, so you could run graphical apps! Im currently saving for a sheeva plug for easy compiling, if youd like to help i have a donation button on the side of the screen

The Following Steps are Optional!

Extend Filesize: By default, i set up the file size at 500mb. This is enough to install some apps, but if you want more, run the following commands on a linux host. Copy debian.ext3 from your kindle first. (This example will increase it by 500mb)

Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=debian.ext3 bs=1M count=500 oflag=append conv=notrunc
e2fsck -f debian.ext3
resize2fs debian.ext3
Onscreen Terminal: You can run apps on your kindles display using a terminal developed by luigi. By default, luigis terminal only uses half the screen. I modified it to use the entire screen, you can get the modified version here: http://xkid.biz/projects/kindle/kiterm-20110107fs.zip I dont think i could write a better tutorial then tinyapps.org, you can view the tutorial here: http://tinyapps.org/docs/kindle_stan..._terminal.html
Note the part of the quote I marked as bold.

You are writing in a manner to make the reader think that you had actually done what you wrote.

But you don't identify the model of Kindle that you used (it makes a big difference).

Specially because the things you reference are for keyboard Kindles and this thread is about the touch screen Kindles.
Which was the number one give away that you where either making all of this up or cut&paste (without credit) from something that you did not understand.