Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-11-2014, 10:45 AM   #1
Psymon
Chief Bohemian Misfit
Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, ADE
Is "tap to zoom" iBooks only?

I have a chapter in my book that has smaller-sized images -- basically thumbnails -- here and there in the text, which in iBooks you can tap on and you see a nice, full-size, hi-res version of the pic. I just assumed (naively) while making this that all readers could do that with images, i.e. you tap them and they "zoom" to fill the screen and you can get a closer look at the pic.

In ADE (on my PC), though, this doesn't seem to be the case, so people would only see the smaller image -- which is rather a drag.

Any suggestions? Here's a screenshot of one of the pages with one of the thumbnails, if you want to see what I was trying to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot - thumbpic.png
Views:	291
Size:	200.0 KB
ID:	128182  
Psymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 12:03 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psymon View Post
I have a chapter in my book that has smaller-sized images -- basically thumbnails -- here and there in the text, which in iBooks you can tap on and you see a nice, full-size, hi-res version of the pic. I just assumed (naively) while making this that all readers could do that with images, i.e. you tap them and they "zoom" to fill the screen and you can get a closer look at the pic.

In ADE (on my PC), though, this doesn't seem to be the case, so people would only see the smaller image -- which is rather a drag.

Any suggestions? Here's a screenshot of one of the pages with one of the thumbnails, if you want to see what I was trying to do.
The tap on the image trick is not well supported with ePub 2 readers. (iBooks is really an ePub 3 reader in effect) It would be possible to place a second image somewhere else in the text (toward the end perhaps) and then provide a link in the text to that larger image. By the way what value do you see in the 18th century ct combination being preserved? I modified mine in a book I am working on along with the long s as not adding to the readability.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 12:22 PM   #3
Psymon
Chief Bohemian Misfit
Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
The tap on the image trick is not well supported with ePub 2 readers. (iBooks is really an ePub 3 reader in effect) It would be possible to place a second image somewhere else in the text (toward the end perhaps) and then provide a link in the text to that larger image.
Gee, too bad, I'd just assumed that all (or most) readers did that, where you just tap on an image and get the bigger version. Oh well. Perhaps my best bet is just to re-do that chapter and insert full-page versions of each of the images used in there (there's only 3 of those portraits, so it's not too bad).

Quote:
By the way what value do you see in the 18th century ct combination being preserved? I modified mine in a book I am working on along with the long s as not adding to the readability.
Oh, I definitely wouldn't incorporate the long-s in this text, but personally I love those ligatures! I wish this font had them for "st", too, but it doesn't. Others involved with this project have commented that they really like them as well (without my even mentioning them -- they brought it up themselves), so I guess I'm stickin' with 'em.

Thanks for the reply, Dale! I guess I gotta bite the bullet and just re-do that chapter using full-page images instead. Oh well.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:18 PM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
There's no reason why any reader could not implement a "tap to zoom" feature on images, ePub 2 or 3. I've been wishing for that since the first ePub firmware appeared for my Cybook Gen3. Unfortunately, it looks like very few readers offer this feature.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:25 PM   #5
Psymon
Chief Bohemian Misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
There's no reason why any reader could not implement a "tap to zoom" feature on images, ePub 2 or 3. I've been wishing for that since the first ePub firmware appeared for my Cybook Gen3. Unfortunately, it looks like very few readers offer this feature.
I suppose that's probably why I just presumptuously assumed when I did that chapter up the way I did it at first (with just thumbnail images) that it was commonplace.

To paraphrase that old saying: be careful what you wish for, chances are you won't get it.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:38 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psymon View Post
I suppose that's probably why I just presumptuously assumed when I did that chapter up the way I did it at first (with just thumbnail images) that it was commonplace.

To paraphrase that old saying: be careful what you wish for, chances are you won't get it.
ePub 2 was developed before touch screens became prevalent so that selecting the image to zoom is a bit problematic. There are many devices still sold today that are not touch screens which would limit your market.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:49 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Zooming in on images also works very well in Marvin for the iOS.

JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 05:38 PM   #8
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Zooming images also works well on the "classic" Kindles. Those w/o touch, like my K3, require that you use the 4-way control to highlight the image and then press the center button.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:02 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Mantano (which uses the Adobe RMSDK for ePub2) has a "Tap to Manipulate Image" feature. You can rotate, pan/zoom, etc.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 01:41 PM   #10
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
ePub 2 was developed before touch screens became prevalent so that selecting the image to zoom is a bit problematic.
Not more than selecting a link, yet developers (Adobe in particular, I guess) have been too lazy to implement image selection. (Even image links haven't been implemented until recently!)
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 07:11 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Works nicely in Moon+ Pro, too.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote