Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-21-2014, 07:03 AM   #421
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
@Nick_1964: I suggest you to insist. This is my own experience (recapped):

me: [bug description]
customer service: Non-Kobo eBooks are not supported
me: if you say this device can read X and Y you can't support only Y
cs: this is an issue with the book itself and being this a non-Kobo ebook we cannot support it
me: no, this is a problem related to the firmware software that reads that file format
cs: no, that's not a bug
me: You have not asked me a testcase, so can I ask you if you tested it? This bug is confirmed by other 5 people.
me: have you tested it?
cs: ok, send me the book, I'll test it

Now it's Tier 3.
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:08 PM   #422
bobb40
Enthusiast
bobb40 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bobb40 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bobb40 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, Kindle4, KoboGlo
Re: KoboGlo SVG faults

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Malor View Post
@bobb40: Your doc is an epub2 or an epub3? svg tag is supported only in epub3.
If it's an epub3, can you upload the document?
It is an epub2 which I built and zipped.

It passes epubcheck-3.0.1 without error:
- dogmatix:fix> /usr/local/bin/run_epubcheck Single\-handed_Passage.epub
- Epubcheck Version 3.0.1
-
- Validating against EPUB version 2.0
- No errors or warnings detected.

Insofar as I can determine, it is in accordance with EPUB 2.0.1 (http://idpf.org/epub/201) and OPS (http://www.idpf.org/epub/20/spec/OPS_2.0.1_draft.htm), particularly paragraph 2.5.3 (Mixing SVG and XHTML Mark-up in the Same Document). And all readers I've tried, except KoboGlo, display it as I intended.

A shabby copy of this ebook is available in various formats on archive.org, with copyright acknowledged but ignored. Amazon sells a barely-better version, which I bought out of curiosity -- the author is a long-ago friend of mine. With copyright status uncertain, I'm loathe to make my rendition of this ebook publicly available; can I send it to you privately? Or make it viewable by you on GoogleDrive?

Thanks,

Bob Barry
bobb40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2014, 01:04 PM   #423
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobb40 View Post
Insofar as I can determine, it is in accordance with EPUB 2.0.1
Indeed I wrote a folly. I do not know much about svg, now I read that you can use the svg syntax directly inside your xhtml source if you use the xhtml + mathml + svg profile.

You can send it to me at this address: 2srnezkdcv@snkmail.com (sorry, it's not for you, I hate spam spiders)
Old 03-22-2014, 10:24 PM   #424
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
My apologies if this problem has been raised already, but I have gone back several pages and can't find a reference to it.

After the previous upgrade back in February or whenever it was, I found that my Kobo Touch was not able to upload newly purchased books from Kobo. I contacted them and they suggested I needed to do a Factory Reset. So I did that and then the new books went on.

Now with the most recent upgrade, which did go onto the Touch when I connected it up, the most recent book purchase (I only buy them every now and then) once again would not upload. It just sits there suggesting it's making the connection, but nothing happens.

I'm getting a bit fed up with having to do a Factory Reset every time I want to get a new book on, so at this stage I am going to use the (ahem) copy on Calibre, which works without a problem.

Have others had this problem, and is there a fix for it, or is it just a problem with a 2.5 years old ereader?
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:16 AM   #425
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Bookpossum: Some questions to get some more information:

- How are you trying getting the Kobo books onto the Touch? WiFi or via the desktop app?
- If you sideload books, do they get added to the library on the device?
- This could a sign the internal database is corrupt. You can check for errors in it using my Kobo Utilities plugin in calibre or any SQLite database browser.
- This could also be a sign the internal memory is failing. If this is either an N905B or N905C, the internal memory is a micro SD card and can be replace. But, at 2.5 years old, it is probably an N905 which has fixed memory.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2014, 07:23 AM   #426
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi David, and thanks for replying so promptly. I'm not very technically savvy, but I'll try!

1. I was putting the books on through the desktop app. I never have the Wifi turned on on the Touch.
2. By sideloading, do you mean via Calibre? If so, yes, they do show in the library on the Touch.

I don't store a lot of books on the Touch these days - it states I have 1208 MB of 1400 MB available. I don't know which model I have. I got it from Borders in the US before it was available in Australia, at the time I joined MR, so about July/August 2011.

Maybe it's just senility setting in. Most things seem to be designed to fail after a few years, which is a shame.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:31 AM   #427
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Hi David, and thanks for replying so promptly. I'm not very technically savvy, but I'll try!

1. I was putting the books on through the desktop app. I never have the Wifi turned on on the Touch.
Have you updated the desktop app to the latest version? It should do this automatically, but it hasn't for me the last couple of times. The latest version is 3.6.0.
Quote:
2. By sideloading, do you mean via Calibre? If so, yes, they do show in the library on the Touch.
Either using calibre or manually copying the book files onto the device. If calibre is connecting and able to send the books, it means the device database is OK.
Quote:
I don't store a lot of books on the Touch these days - it states I have 1208 MB of 1400 MB available. I don't know which model I have. I got it from Borders in the US before it was available in Australia, at the time I joined MR, so about July/August 2011.
At that age it will be an N905. But the model number should be on the end with the USB connector.
Quote:
Maybe it's just senility setting in. Most things seem to be designed to fail after a few years, which is a shame.
Thinking about it, it doesn't sound like failing memory. It sounds like there is something wrong with the desktop application. Making sure you have the latest version might be it. Or uninstalling and clearing the Kobo data from the PC might do it as well. If you can try another PC, that might work as well.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:29 AM   #428
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

Many thanks for this David. I'll investigate further and see how I go. I have a Mac, as does my husband, so I could try his Kobo site as a cross-check.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:24 AM   #429
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

Update:

Spot on David - it was on 3.2.3. I downloaded 3.6.0 (technical assistance by Mr Bookpossum) and the new book duly downloaded onto the Touch.

Thanks again very much for your excellent diagnosis and helpful advice!
Old 03-26-2014, 11:51 AM   #430
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by fed851 View Post
Some side book that are not recognised. I discovered that if I change something on author or title [...] there are two books both recognised by (different name or Author, what I've changed) Kobo
I can read the book you've sent to me via PM, but I recently experienced this bug with one of my books.
The bug happens when you manually remove the book, unmount, remount and re-add it. If you delete the book using the GUI interface you have no problem.
I add this bug to the list. Can you please update your bug report, adding this workaround and this explanation?
Old 03-28-2014, 07:14 AM   #431
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
Quote:
@Nick_1964: I suggest you to insist. This is my own experience (recapped):

me: [bug description]
customer service: Non-Kobo eBooks are not supported
me: if you say this device can read X and Y you can't support only Y
cs: this is an issue with the book itself and being this a non-Kobo ebook we cannot support it
me: no, this is a problem related to the firmware software that reads that file format
me: You have not asked me a testcase, so can I ask you if you tested it? This bug is confirmed by other 5 people.
me: have you tested it?
cs: ok, send me the book, I'll test it

Now it's Tier 3.
Did it, sended the book twice at own request, they ask me for a screenshot of the disformed lay-out.
Don't you have your own reader ???
Sended the screenshots and 4 books that have the error.
Did you have the book from Kobo ( they can see it at your account so stupid question... ) no at Google books.
Sorry no support.
Did found out that some books have also the <span>a</span> code in it, not the <font>a</font> but when the <span>a</span> reach the end of the page it does exactly the same, the word is not correctly placed to the next line but breaks at that point.
It is possible that a book doesn't transfer well, but it doesn't fill it with the <span>a</span> and <font>a</font> tags by itself during transfer and don't breaks by accident wrong at the end of the line with that tags.. but no, sorry.. forget it..

Last edited by Nick_1964; 03-28-2014 at 07:45 AM.
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:58 AM   #432
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse

Well, if you have time, try to send them a testcase that passes epub2check and that clearly and simply exposes the bug. This is what I've done.
Probably if you send them a book, they think "Hey, what if the problem is in the book itself? Time wasted in favour of competitors". And I can't blame them.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:08 AM   #433
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
Quote:
Well, if you have time, try to send them a testcase that passes epub2check and that clearly and simply exposes the bug. This is what I've done.
Probably if you send them a book, they think "Hey, what if the problem is in the book itself? Time wasted in favour of competitors". And I can't blame them.
I did, even send them the screenshots of the same page in the sony prs-t3, calibre reader,adobe and aldiko all showing the correct lay-out.
So I just use calibre's conversion and added the rules, if found this, replace by that and the result is a clean lay-out.
It is no problem,but it is a bug and beginners can't do it, they maybe can't even get the drm of it,needed to edit them..
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:25 AM   #434
bobb40
Enthusiast
bobb40 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bobb40 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bobb40 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, Kindle4, KoboGlo
EPUB SVG Faults [Kobo Incident: 140220-000183]

With the demise of the Sony reader, and the unavailability and uncertainty of the Nook, Kobo readers have become the leading eink devices for reading EPUBs.

The Kobo specification page for the Glo (https://www.kobo.com/koboglo/techspecs/) proclaims:

Quote:
OPEN Read almost any eBook on your Kobo Glo. Supports ePub and Adobe DRM

File Types EPUB, PDF, JPEG, GIF, PNG, TIFF, TXT, (X)HTML, RTF, CBZ, CBR
The Kobo devices are listed by Wikipedia and other references as capable of reading EPUB.

But the spec for EPUB 2.0.1 (http://idpf.org/epub/201) and OPS (http://www.idpf.org/epub/20/spec/OPS_2.0.1_draft.htm), clearly states "OPS Reading Systems must support SVG [except animation and scripting features]". And "rotate" and "dy" are among the basic attributes of SVG. So if SVG's "rotate" and "dy" are not supported, EPUB is not supported.

Attached is a bare-minimum EPUB "KoboGlo Bug Demo" which passes epubcheck:

- dogmatix:fix> /usr/local/bin/run_epubcheck kgbd.epub
- Epubcheck Version 3.0.1
-
- Validating against EPUB version 2.0
- No errors or warnings detected.

This EPUB demonstrates SVG's "rotate" and "dy". It is a simple test case for post 418 on this forum. It displays normally on most EPUB readers, but demonstrates faults of KoboGlo.
Attached Files
File Type: epub kgbd.epub (4.8 KB, 185 views)

Last edited by bobb40; 03-30-2014 at 11:48 AM. Reason: added explanation ("...test case...") suggested by davidfor
bobb40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:13 AM   #435
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobb40 View Post
This EPUB demonstrates SVG's "rotate" and "dy"; it displays normally on most EPUB readers, but demonstrates faults of KoboGlo.
It would be a good idea to describe what you think is wrong. That way when someone tests it, they know what to look for. Or if someone already knows something about the problem, they can respond. And it would be a good idea to mention which epub readers you think work correctly.

I tested this on my Touch. The first page displays two lines of text. One is horizontal in the middle. The other is vertical on the right side. But each letter is reversed. I assume there is a problem with this text, but as you didn't describe it, I don't know what. Is the line in the wrong place? Or should the letters be the other way round? Or???

The second page is a mess. The text is all at the top of the page.

I also opened this with ADE. The rotated text reads correctly, but it isn't vertically centred on the page. The second page looks the same as on the Touch.

And I sideloaded as a kepub. I just added the ".kepub" into the name instead of doing the full conversion. Both pages look how I think you mean for them to look. And they agree with what the calibre viewer displays.

I think this means the problem is in the RMSDK. Which means it will be up to Adobe (or whoever maintains it now) to fix. Maybe it is fixed in RMSDK 10.

And yes, I am being obtuse in my comments. But, as someone who has spent a very large percentage of their career fixing software bugs or other problems with computers, I don't want to hear "It doesn't work". I want to hear how it doesn't work and how it should work. And I want to hear that in excruciating detail.

Tags
pocket app