Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-05-2011, 09:24 PM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Android continues to pull ahead of iOS

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...es_iphone.html
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:27 PM   #2
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Kenny, you came BACK!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:37 PM   #3
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Shhh. I'm only here for the beer.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:04 PM   #4
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:35 PM   #5
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
The main reason for the non-investor to attend to marketshare is get an idea of how software availability will be in the future. Not just in sheer number, but in quality. It's not the only thing that matters (monetization does as well), but a huge platform lead will draw development. You can look at the Wii era and see both heavy resistance from certain developers, and their eventual acquiescence once the share got big enough. Indeed, there are a number of similarities. Wii owners didn't buy nearly as many 3rd party games as other platforms did, but once the lead extended far enough, Activision was finally lured in and COD, predictably, sold millions of copies on Wii.

Games like Civilization Revolution are pretty serious games -- not the normal phone fare. I'd love to see their successors debut on Android and not just eventually meander on by.

In terms of non-gaming software, the deficit has already closed as far as I can tell. There are a few items in earlier stages of development on Android than on iOS, but the last holdouts appear to have already made the leap and seem eager to support the platform fully.

Another welcome:
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:15 PM   #6
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Interesting.

Also, welcome back.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:24 PM   #7
kennyc

Thank ye
Old 07-06-2011, 05:26 PM   #8
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Hey Kenny C welcome back, How's the Xoom been holding up? Especially after the 3.1 update?
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:31 PM   #9
kennyc

Love the Xoom. Not real happy with Motorola's lack of getting the SD-Card working or the 4G that still isn't here. .... Looking forward to seeing what Amazon comes up with ...
Old 07-10-2011, 01:32 AM   #10
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
The main reason for the non-investor to attend to marketshare is get an idea of how software availability will be in the future. Not just in sheer number, but in quality. It's not the only thing that matters (monetization does as well), but a huge platform lead will draw development.
It will draw development from companies big enough to pay for developer staff for both platforms (Amazon, Netflix, Pandora, etc) but for companies that do not want to play on both sides, it will probably be iOS for the foreseeable future. Companies that want to make money simply aren't ignoring iOS in favor of Android yet.

There are several apps that I have for my iPod touch that I can't get for my wifes cell phone. Yes, there are apps that mimic what these apps do (Instapaper, for example. Real Racing for another. OneNote for iOS) but I can't get her those apps from those developers that she likes using on my device, and I've found nothing that works so well as them for her phone.

Fast Company says that 'the pace of App Store sales is accelerating at a rather rapid rate' and that developers have made 2.5 billion developing for the 200 million iOS users.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:51 AM   #11
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
There are several apps that I have for my iPod touch that I can't get for my wifes cell phone. Yes, there are apps that mimic what these apps do (Instapaper, for example. Real Racing for another. OneNote for iOS) but I can't get her those apps from those developers that she likes using on my device, and I've found nothing that works so well as them for her phone.
Weren't you taught in troll school that the use of anecdotal evidence only weakens your argument in the face of the actual facts that started this thread?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anecdotal_evidence
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:36 AM   #12
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually, I was responding to a subsequent poster, not the OP. The facts in the OPs post stand for themselves.

Last edited by RockdaMan; 07-10-2011 at 03:41 AM.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:57 AM   #13
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
Actually, I was responding to a subsequent poster, not the OP. The facts in the OPs post stand for themselves.
That was obvious from your quote, but that does not change the point concerning the use of anecdotal evidence. Your first paragraph was an obvious on point response to David's comments, that is why it was not in my quote of your post. The troll involving anecdotal facts started after that, and is what I quoted.
Anyway, I guess I should really stop feeding the troll.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:08 AM   #14
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
The troll involving anecdotal facts started after that, and is what I quoted.
How was it a troll? I get (but don't accept) your point about anecdotal evidence, but a troll?
Old 07-10-2011, 09:35 PM   #15
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
That was obvious from your quote, but that does not change the point concerning the use of anecdotal evidence. Your first paragraph was an obvious on point response to David's comments, that is why it was not in my quote of your post. The troll involving anecdotal facts started after that, and is what I quoted.
Anyway, I guess I should really stop feeding the troll.

Yes you should, but you should also report it when you see it happen.