Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-15-2013, 01:56 PM   #676
WashWest
Enthusiast
WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindly Paperwhite, PRS-350
Could it be Replay by Ken Grimwood?
WashWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:34 PM   #677
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WashWest View Post
I would say that's exactly what it is. And it's also finally available as an ebook.

And to the OP, just based on your description, you can extrapolate to what the ending is...
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2013, 03:46 PM   #678
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I agree it is Replay.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:57 PM   #679
sleven
sleven might easily be mistaken for a Texansleven might easily be mistaken for a Texansleven might easily be mistaken for a Texansleven might easily be mistaken for a Texansleven might easily be mistaken for a Texansleven might easily be mistaken for a Texansleven might easily be mistaken for a Texansleven might easily be mistaken for a Texansleven might easily be mistaken for a Texansleven might easily be mistaken for a Texansleven might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle
It is indeed Replay, thanks for the info, it was driving me crazy.
sleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:28 PM   #680
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
What a helpful group! K for all!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2013, 06:04 PM   #681
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Isn't that what all of us would like to do.

Start over as a teen, but remember all we had learned?
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:08 PM   #682
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Thread merged with the 'Name That Book' thread, in the Reading Recommendations Forum.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:05 AM   #683
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I'm trying to think of the name of a book where the earth is shaped like a doughnut and aviators like Amelia Earhart are trying to fly round it. I should remember the title but can't.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:01 AM   #684
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I'm trying to think of the name of a book where the earth is shaped like a doughnut and aviators like Amelia Earhart are trying to fly round it. I should remember the title but can't.
Probably Circumpolar by Richard A Lupoff
He wrote a sequal as well (Countersolar)
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:31 PM   #685
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
Probably Circumpolar by Richard A Lupoff
He wrote a sequal as well (Countersolar)
That sounds about right. I didn't know there was a sequel though.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:49 AM   #686
johnc.eire
johnc.eire began at the beginning.

Device: kobo H2O
Having been helped before in this thread, I thought I'd try again with another novel I've lost track of...

Plotline is a 'post nuclear apocalypse' one, written as if it were a diary by a teenage girl whose parents are now dead. The tale tells of her experiences as she seeks (and eventually finds) other survivors.
Can't remember the name of the girl, but she has a pet parrot - a Hyacinthine Macaw - that goes by the name of Terry Dactyl(?sp.), that she has owned since birth (of the girl or the bird, I'm not sure).
The girl/parrot relationship is so close that a mental bond has formed. When the bird is flying, the girl feels that she is swooping through the air, etc.
The girl is also expert in martial arts - an ability that saves her from danger more than once in the tale.
One of the people she meets up with is a 'rich kid' boy slightly younger than herself, who is some sort of engineering genius. He plays the most awful tricks with words ... rebuilding a car engine is 'mantling', for instance.
At the end of the story, the girl is somewhere in the middle of America in her travels. She looks up at the sky & sees the contrail of an airplane - this is one of the signs she has been seeking, that she is no longer alone.
Following the line of the contrail, she finally arrives in California and finds a group of survivors that she joins up with.

There are other 'bits' I can remember, but not too accurately & I don't want to make the picture too muddy.
Any help with locating this book would be greatly appreciated.
johnc.eire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:58 AM   #687
Witty Username
Addict
Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Touch, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc.eire View Post
Having been helped before in this thread, I thought I'd try again with another novel I've lost track of...

Any help with locating this book would be greatly appreciated.
Emergence by David R. Palmer

There's a wiki page about the story:

Emergence wiki link

Last edited by Witty Username; 05-26-2013 at 07:03 AM. Reason: add link
Witty Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:06 AM   #688
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Emergence by David R. Palmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witty Username View Post
Emergence by David R. Palmer

There's a wiki page about the story:

Emergence wiki link
http://books.google.com/books/about/...d=1BtbAAAAMAAJ

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:36 PM   #689
johnc.eire
johnc.eire began at the beginning.

Device: kobo H2O
Witty Username, Alansplace: Thank you both for such prompt responses. Thanks also for the links. The wiki link refreshed my few remaining memory cells about the final part of the novel - about the 'Nathan Hale' and the 'Bratsvo' - I'd completely forgotten about that part.
johnc.eire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:05 AM   #690
Polly7
Ebook/Ereader Lover
Polly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura about

Device: K4B
Hi there,
I'm trying to remember a book title. It's a young adult/urban fantasy. The main character is a teenage male who wants to be a DJ. Weird things start happening in his town around halloween, and the cause is some sort of spirit that looks like a child. The geeky boy in his class is actually a member of an ancient order who fight evil, and reveals his hidden prowess outside a nightclub when he destroys five testosterone and drug fuelled yobs with nothing more than a broom handle, a metal bin lid and some serious martial arts moves. The main character then gets taken to the secret underground base of this group and told about their purpose. The novel climaxes with the protagonist going into the block of offices and flats that has a missing floor thirteen where the malign spirit rules. If anyone could help that would be good, as I first read this book when I was 12/13 and its been bugging me for around severn years now.
Polly7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children's books, christie, forgotten title, four just men, mystery stories, teen sleuths