Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #46
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Absolutely f*cking fantastic. Great job, Amazon. These idiots have really re-obfuscated the entire framework, so that all method (and possibly class) names have changed AGAIN.

Sorry for the rude language, but I'm totally pissed off.
So, I guess 5.3.0 will go down in history as the first "middle finger" update. 5.1.0 was just a warning shot across the bow...

EDIT: Although I have the "safe" 5.3.0 now, they could always OTA another full lockdown update. I guess they are suggesting that we go find a different product line to play with. Their huge Paperwhite sales backlog must have given them the idea that they do not need or want our business anymore...

But then, it is nice hardware. We could just replace the OS with something a little more owner-friendly.

Last edited by geekmaster; 11-09-2012 at 01:14 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:08 PM   #47
kaznelson
Old Kaz
kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Era
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Absolutely f*cking fantastic. Great job, Amazon. These idiots have really re-obfuscated the entire framework, so that all method (and possibly class) names have changed AGAIN.
Sad, "Collections Manager" very and very good...
kaznelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2012, 01:10 PM   #48
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
So, I guess 5.3.0 will go down in history as the first "middle finger" update. 5.1.0 was just a warning shot across the bow...

But then, it is nice hardware. We could just replace the OS with something a little more owner-friendly.
Well, my attempts to just get a discussion started on that topic has fallen onto deaf ears here in the past.

So let my modify my prior proposals a bit - - -
Instead of asking for all volunteer developers, why not try paying them?

Define a KickStarter.com project to replace this Amazon {censored} with something 100% open source (kTizen or whatever).
**AND** do not do it the way the Chinese do, make the sources available.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:20 PM   #49
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Well, my attempts to just get a discussion started on that topic has fallen onto deaf ears here in the past.

So let my modify my prior proposals a bit - - -
Instead of asking for all volunteer developers, why not try paying them?

Define a KickStarter.com project to replace this Amazon {censored} with something 100% open source (kTizen or whatever).
**AND** do not do it the way the Chinese do, make the sources available.
The K5 hacking wiki shows that yifanlu strongly suggested that "somebody" put android OS on the kindle, quite some time ago.

For a starter, perhaps we could just start with a 5.3.0 image and strip all all proprietary stuff. I have working touchscreen and eink code (the "geekmaster signature capture" script). We could get USB networking up first, then a SIMPLE GUI up, and go from their.

I like development that progresses with "baby steps". Not only do you get quick (almost interactive) feedback, but you can actually share all those little milestones without a massive interdependent "all or nothing" framework in-progress for aeons, with few who understand it...
Old 11-09-2012, 01:49 PM   #50
h1uke
Zealot
h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: dxg, k3w,k4nt,kpw
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
strongly suggested that "somebody" put android OS on the kindle
I'd say that besides the K5 makes an excellent e-reader, it can become only
a mediocre android tablet...

Due to the lack of pointing device, there is no chance for older kindle models
to run android, but at the same time personally I find these models even more
interesting and challenging than the K5.

The current OS is owner-friendly enough. Amazon's approach isn't..

Anyway, reading this may help one to better understand the process of 'androidizing' the linux kernel.
h1uke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2012, 01:58 PM   #51
geekmaster

The Nook Simple Touch has similar hardware as the kindles, and runs an older android. Perhaps that would be a good code base to start from, already having a lot of the hardware support we need built-in...

Or another OS. Some simple linux desktop on the existing GPL code base would be nice, and probably right up twobob's alley. We should start a collection to get him a Paperwhite.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:31 PM   #52
h1uke
Zealot
h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: dxg, k3w,k4nt,kpw
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Okay! Finished working/sandbox-testing, now I'm gonna need a real live guinea pig ;D.

You'll need to:

* Be on 5.2.0
* Be JailBroken
* Not be terribly upset if it fails and you end up on 5.3.0 without a JailBreak .

What to do:
my unit came a couple of hours ago. It had v5.2.0.

- successfully installed Jailbreak
- successfully installed v5.3.0 update downloaded previously from Amazon
- 5.3.0 loads and shows "you are jailbroken" icon
- subsequent attempts to install usbnet_0.4N fail with error code 007

more later
h1uke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:40 PM   #53
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaznelson View Post
Sad, "Collections Manager" very and very good...
Bah... - no worries
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #54
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Installer "Access SafetyNet"

Question: The installer is script.?

EDIT: No initramfs. forget that idea

Spoiler:
What's to prevent creating Ixtabs bundle as a built-in addon.

The first time it runs it installs the recovery stuff (provide known configuration) and also:

Insert a few lines extra in the end of the updater. (so it runs everytime - whatever)

At the END of the OTA script (before it reboots) it does a few sanity tests:
checks for relevant iptables entries, do we have the bins and upstart still in place?

If not - trigger a post-install refix. thinking about it just do an quick (sanity) clean-up and ram the "recovery" .bin back through the installer.

Assumption: the installer script "hacking enhancement mechanism" could be clever enough to check the lines are still in the installer script and add them if not. (conditional patch?)
(also check they are not pre-pended by a # perhaps )

generally: be ready to restore it to last known good configuration if mangled with.

Worst that can happen is that it will fail to provide access if it failed. which is no worse than is the situation now. (and maybe some redundant unlinked bins, a borked OTA script and no entry in upstart, I don't see how the very simple upstart addition could go wrong but I am open to correction)

The overhead would be tiny. the result would be bulletproof? no?

I suppose the point is that would future proof all future updates against access tampering

That's my thought anyway. HTH

Last edited by twobob; 11-09-2012 at 09:49 PM. Reason: clearer I hope
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #55
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
For those seriously entertaining the idea of chaning hardware, I wold say, why not look at Kobo Glo? Same XGA Pearl screen as the paperwhite. Light isn't quite as ... white, but Kobo was nice enough to put the firmware on a Micro SD card you can remove and play with!! (Kobo software devs, on the other hand, need all the help they can possibly get, even if they don't admit it.)
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #56
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In other news I wore the hat in my picture again the other day. Still fits. Who knew
Old 11-09-2012, 05:32 PM   #57
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
For those seriously entertaining the idea of chaning hardware, I wold say, why not look at Kobo Glo? Same XGA Pearl screen as the paperwhite. Light isn't quite as ... white, but Kobo was nice enough to put the firmware on a Micro SD card you can remove and play with!! ...
Which is nice. but I don't have one. Thanks for the tip though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
"(Kobo software devs, on the other hand, need all the help they can possibly get, even if they don't admit it.)"
I know the feeling, always happy to get my hands dirty. Perhaps one day...
Old 11-09-2012, 05:42 PM   #58
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Vegastar: w00t!

Thanks for testing this .

A simple test would be to try to reinstall the screensavers hack, but if you saw the jailbreak message, all should be well .
_____
Works for me! I got the jailbreak message, but then did have to reinstall the screensaver hack. The linkss files were still in place, though. Thank you so much!
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:30 PM   #59
rogerinnyc
Addict
rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma and Aura One; Kindle Voyage; Galaxy Note 10
Works Here Too!

@NiLuJe,

Thanks for the quick turnaround and fix. Worked great on my PaperWhite running 5.2.0.

Just to be clear, and maybe help others, the sequence was:

1. Installed your 1.7 jailbreak bridge, then updated
2. Installed the 5.3.0 firmware (downloaded from amazon), then updated
3. Checked and saw that the Python and Linkss folders survived the firmware update, but the screensaver hack wasn't working (as expected).
4. Re-installed your Python 1.0 hack, then updated
5. Installed your 4.0 screensaver hack (over 3.0), then updated.

Voila! Screensaver hack working beautifully.
rogerinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:35 PM   #60
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@rogerinnyc (and others): Thanks for the feedback .

FWIW, reinstalling Python isn't necessary (the current version doesn't install anything outside of the userstore, it's basically just unpacking a tarball & generating the bytecode for Python's standard libs) .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote