Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-10-2014, 02:53 PM   #991
AllenH
Enthusiast
AllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I should add here (possibly related to noexpert's experience also)- that I didn't reperform the jailbreak using the new 5.4.x method- I assumed that the jailbreak once there is always there, as I noticed a reboot included ***jailbreak*** even after the firmware update. So, I then went ahead with the DevCerts from 2012, the rescuepack, and then the new python, new linkss. I did get a 006 (?) error in there, but I just reapplied said component- I think it was linkss - and things went ok, other than the lack of covers.

No changes were made by me to the folder of covers etc., from before so I'm using any of the older options I had in 5.3.x without alterations.

Hope this helps a bit! I'll also try and drag up the creation dates for you- sorry for the delay.
AllenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:40 PM   #992
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@AllenH: If you're running FW 5.4.4, you need to update the JailBreak.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2014, 05:30 PM   #993
AllenH
Enthusiast
AllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

@NiLuJe aha! That must be it then! I didn't realize as it still presented a jailbreak message upon reboot. What is also interesting is it appears to have properly installed components within the system as far as I can tell (re: folders on the drive and successful messages for .bin updates). But, there must be some code in the new jailbreak that's critical.

Didn't realize, NiLuJe! Thanks for that clarification!
Old 03-10-2014, 05:32 PM   #994
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@AllenH: You'll of course have to reinstall anything that failed w/ a U006 error, of course .
Old 03-10-2014, 08:53 PM   #995
AllenH
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@AllenH: If you're running FW 5.4.4, you need to update the JailBreak.
This was right on the money, NiLuJe! In fact, most of the installs worked fine, but something critical in the jailbreak wasn't working. Once I a with the new 5.4.4 jailbreak installer, I reinstalled the rescue pack, then after a reboot, cover mode just started working! I was quite surprised! So, I didn't even need to reinstall linkss- must have added the proper commands but just not run them yet. In that case, the weird file dates/times appear to be just fine for operation on my end.
Advert
Old 03-13-2014, 06:17 AM   #996
hanog
Enthusiast
hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi!

I uninstalled the snapshot versions, then I installed versions from the first post. It's working PW1 FW5.4.4, cover mode, blackborder, pinfo is ok.

Strange thing:
The cover mode is ok when I sideload a .mobi or download from amazon cloud, but if I sideload .AZW3 books with embedded fonts (embed with calibre), the cover feature does not work. Can't extract from the book or what?
hanog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:51 AM   #997
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@hanog: If there's no cover pointer in the metadata, it won't work. Make sure your file is sane, and/or try with another one. If you can replicate the issue at will, PM me one of the 'broken' file and I'll check it out .

The next snapshots will fix the pinto issue, I'm just waiting for the next Linaro release to push them .
Old 03-14-2014, 05:05 AM   #998
jdubon3
jdubon3 began at the beginning.

Gonna rehash an old issue...

Any chance somebody is willing to set up a tap-to-open feature for kindles in an auto-wake case? It'd be nice to see my covers for more than a tenth of a second... No, i would not like to damage my case by removing the magnets...

Again, just putting it out there with the hopes that somebody would be willing to put the time in since me no speaky code
jdubon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 01:37 PM   #999
nypaulie
Gātheist
nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, FireHD6 Gen4
Here's my latest set of reboot screens. I also modified the ubiquitous "splash" screen... the plain boy-under-tree image which comes up between the other. This is the one that displays the progress circle which you can see has gone to about 7 o'clock in my shot.
For shutdown/reboot:
"/usr/share/blanket/shutdown/bg_medium_reboot.png"
For the in-between "boy-under-the-tree":
"/var/local/blanket/low_level_screens/images/splash.png"
For the startup:
"/usr/share/blanket/splash/bg_medium_defaultbg.png"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reboot1.png
Views:	204
Size:	308.3 KB
ID:	120284   Click image for larger version

Name:	fixedsplash.png
Views:	169
Size:	611.9 KB
ID:	120359   Click image for larger version

Name:	reboot2.png
Views:	180
Size:	276.3 KB
ID:	120360  

Last edited by nypaulie; 03-16-2014 at 01:50 PM.
nypaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:12 PM   #1000
Sharkbuff
Sharkbuff began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Bypass screensaver

Hi NiLuJe - is there any way to completely uninstall or bypass the screensaver? My power button on my kindle touch is not working (13 months after purchasing it frustratingly enough!) so I am hoping to find a way to switch off screensaver mode so that it is always on and I won't need the power button...
Sharkbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:05 AM   #1001
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Sharkbuff: there's a KUAL button for that, in the helper extension, IIRC.

Be warned that it'll murder your battery, though.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:23 AM   #1002
nypaulie
Gātheist
nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, FireHD6 Gen4
@Sharkbuff: If you tap a magnet to the bottom right corner of the case it will turn the screen back on. Getting a cover with one built in will also do the trick. My pix (#999) show one I got for $8 (PM me for a link).
nypaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:20 AM   #1003
kosmi
kosmi began at the beginning.

linkss and yifanlu Custom Screensaver 2.0

Thank you NiLuJe for this great linkss,

Unfortunately linkss don't work together with Kindle Touch Custom Screensaver 2.0 by yifanlu (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=165576).

I installed linkss according to your IMPORTANT NOTE REGARDING UPDATES:
"Here are general update instructions for these hacks:
No need to run the Update_*_uninstall.bin updates, ever.
You simply have to apply the latest Update_*_install.bin updates, one by one.", but forgot to remove yifanlu code.

The fix is very simple:
run "update_kindle_touch_custom_screensaver_1.0_uninst all.bin"
or remove by hand with:
mount -o rw,remount /
# unloading module
/usr/bin/lipc-set-prop com.lab126.blanket unload custom_screensaver
rm -f "/usr/lib/blanket/custom_screensaver.so"
rm -f "/etc/upstart/custom_screensaver.conf"
mount -o ro,remount /

After reboot linkss works like a charm This code works for KT 5.3.2.1

I post this info here if you wish to update your installer to delete yifanlu's SS files (if any) or to update the preinstallation notes.

Is there a way to publish source files as attachment or link to git at first post to the exact files used for building "kindle-linkss-0.16.N.zip".

And finally a small wish - to create the Preview Mode on the KUAL for viewing all SS files from linkss/screensavers and linkss/overflow folders and ability to delete/discard the ugly looking PNG's on screen.

Thank you again NiLuJe
kosmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:58 AM   #1004
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@kosmi: Woo, blast from the past . Nice catch, I'll update the installer.

The easiest way to get a properly set-up sources + build scripts tree is by downloading the package from the snapshots thread (cf. the WHERE_ARE_THE_SOURCES.txt file in the rot of the release package).

As for a preview, there's one in cover mode, because there's only a single file, so it's easy enough to do (both UI & code-wise). Doing the same for the full folder is more complicated. Doing it like the cover mode through KUAL would be madness (~100 items, awesome to navigate! ). And, at the time where the hidden image viewer actually worked, doing it that way was messy and hackish to do in a non-stupid way.
And you mentionned making it interactive, which pretty much means building a Kindlet from scratch for something that is much, much, much less painful to do from a proper computer, so I probably wouldn't consider it, even if I actually had the skill set to build such a Kindlet from scratch .
Old 03-28-2014, 04:33 AM   #1005
kosmi
kosmi began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@kosmi: Woo, blast from the past . Nice catch, I'll update the installer.

The easiest way to get a properly set-up sources + build scripts tree is by downloading the package from the snapshots thread (cf. the WHERE_ARE_THE_SOURCES.txt file in the rot of the release package).

As for a preview, there's one in cover mode, because there's only a single file, so it's easy enough to do (both UI & code-wise). Doing the same for the full folder is more complicated. Doing it like the cover mode through KUAL would be madness (~100 items, awesome to navigate! ). And, at the time where the hidden image viewer actually worked, doing it that way was messy and hackish to do in a non-stupid way.
And you mentionned making it interactive, which pretty much means building a Kindlet from scratch for something that is much, much, much less painful to do from a proper computer, so I probably wouldn't consider it, even if I actually had the skill set to build such a Kindlet from scratch .

Hi NiLuJe,
thank you for your short replay. I'm searching for exact sources used to create the specific/current version (if any), not for daily snapshot.

For the preview: I was thinking there was a framework with simple commands ( show picture, print text, display button, draw frame, etc...) for building simple or not apps.
kosmi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch