Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 04-07-2012, 02:46 PM   #1
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad Mini4, Kindle Voyage
Question T1 Modified Home Screen w/o Rooting?

I am thoroughly confused. I've tried to read all the threads and wiki articles and they seem to contradict each other. I am not interested in rooting my T1 at this time but I would really llike the home screen to show last read instead of last added. My T1 has the most recent firmware installed.

Is this still possible w/o rooting? If so, could someone kindly point me to (hopefully simple) instructions.
GeckoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:43 PM   #2
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
On home screen tap on Books button. Books sorted by bar at top of page, to left of magnifying glass button is down arrow A Z button that you should tap on. This brings up sort books by selection menu. Select Last read. Now your books list is sorted by date last read.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2012, 04:44 PM   #3
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
On home screen tap on Books button. Books sorted by bar at top of page, to left of magnifying glass button is down arrow A Z button that you should tap on. This brings up sort books by selection menu. Select Last read. Now your books list is sorted by date last read.
I do know how to sort in the books listing; I'm talking about the home screen display which "out of the box" shows the three most recently added.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:46 PM   #4
toby53
Enthusiast
toby53 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS T1 & Basic KOBO
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
Not sure if this is what the OP is asking for , they seem to want last read on the home page instead of last added
toby53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:07 PM   #5
seabee
Connoisseur
seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kobo Mini
This topic do exactly what you asked for without rooting, I did it on my PRS-T1 successfully months ago.
It doesn't actually modify any software but puts instructions in the books database that changes the time of book addition to the reader inside the database each time a book is read, making that book the most recent addition to be displayed on the home screen.
Look at #11 post for detailed instructions on how to apply the modification.
However, if you add new books to your reader, they still shift/replace your most recently read books on the home screen (and the next book you read will replace them again).
Didn't tried with last firmware (1.04), only with 1.03.
WARNING: you need to apply the modification both on the internal memory and the micro-SD cards (if you have one or more).

Last edited by seabee; 04-07-2012 at 06:09 PM.
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2012, 10:16 PM   #6
GeckoFriend
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee View Post
This topic do exactly what you asked for without rooting, I did it on my PRS-T1 successfully months ago......
Didn't tried with last firmware (1.04), only with 1.03.

According to Wiki:
"Alas, this no longer works under firmware version 1.0.04.12210 and possibly some prior versions."

That is what I am confused about; some of the posts in that thread indicate it does still work. I'm hoping someone can confirm yes or no.

I'm also not sure that will be worth it since I add books regularly and would need to repeat the hack each time.

Maybe I'll reconsider rooting but I'm cocerned about the warranty if I have any issues. Does anyone have advice or experience to offer?
Old 04-09-2012, 08:51 AM   #7
idle
I Do Like Ebooks
idle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocketbook Ultra 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoFriend View Post
I'm also not sure that will be worth it since I add books regularly and would need to repeat the hack each time.
You won't need to repeat the hack after adding books. You do that only once, and since that moment, your books will be sorted by add-or-read date.
idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:50 AM   #8
GeckoFriend
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by idle View Post
You won't need to repeat the hack after adding books. You do that only once, and since that moment, your books will be sorted by add-or-read date.
Thanks for that info; I misunderstood something posted earlier. Still unclear what is meant by "sorted by add-or-read date". Are the books sorted by add or are they sorted by read?
Old 04-09-2012, 04:59 PM   #9
idle
I Do Like Ebooks
idle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocketbook Ultra 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoFriend View Post
Thanks for that info; I misunderstood something posted earlier. Still unclear what is meant by "sorted by add-or-read date". Are the books sorted by add or are they sorted by read?
Well, both. Or maybe it's better to say "either".

Imagine there's only one slot for "sort by" date. This info is updated with current time:
1) when the book is added
2) whenever it's opened

So you'll get a list of recently handled books, regardless of whether it was handled by adding or opening. A newly added book therefore gets on top of the list, but books opened later will gradually push it down.

Clearer?
idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #10
GeckoFriend
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by idle View Post
Well, both. Or maybe it's better to say "either".

Imagine there's only one slot for "sort by" date. This info is updated with current time:
1) when the book is added
2) whenever it's opened

So you'll get a list of recently handled books, regardless of whether it was handled by adding or opening. A newly added book therefore gets on top of the list, but books opened later will gradually push it down.

Clearer?
Yes, thank you. That now makes sense.