Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-14-2011, 12:02 PM   #121
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
That and the book fit more with the movie format. Deathly Hallows only visits Hogwarts when Harry, Herminone (sp), and Ron go there. For the most part, the book follows the three of them on their adventures. Given that the movies focused on Harry, Ron, and Herminone (sp) adventure it was a more natural fit.

I think that is why I prefered the 7th movie and was fine with the 8th until the final battle. The movie did not drop detail only because they split it in two but because the book did not have the same backdrop in Hogwarts and vacations that all the other books did. There was less of the important, all be it background, material to remove.

There was no need to change the duel between Voldemort and Harry. There was no reason to drop the entire discussion of asking for forgivness and redemption. Instead they wanted a more massive battle between Harry and Voldemort. It wasn't needed and it really altered the overall ending message of the books.

In the end, Harry wins, not because of superior magic, but because he is willing to sacrifice himself to protect the people that he loves, essentially his friends and classmates. Voldemort cannot grasp the concept and has destroyed his soul because he fears death. The only way for Voldemort's soul to be saved is for him to realize that he has hurt others and ask for forgivness, seek redemption. By not doing so, Voldemort has guarnteed that he will spend eternity living as that pitiful scrap of flesh that you see in Harry's talk with Dumbledore. Voldemort dies when his wand, which he could not believe did not answer to him, turns on him and bounces his killing curse at him. In the movie, all discussion of redemption is lost drowning the good vs evil discussion under the guise of a more souped up and unnecessary duel.

bleeech
Your description is enough for me.

ditto!
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:22 PM   #122
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
There was no need to change the duel between Voldemort and Harry. There was no reason to drop the entire discussion of asking for forgivness and redemption. Instead they wanted a more massive battle between Harry and Voldemort. It wasn't needed and it really altered the overall ending message of the books.

In the end, Harry wins, not because of superior magic, but because he is willing to sacrifice himself to protect the people that he loves, essentially his friends and classmates. Voldemort cannot grasp the concept and has destroyed his soul because he fears death. The only way for Voldemort's soul to be saved is for him to realize that he has hurt others and ask for forgivness, seek redemption. By not doing so, Voldemort has guarnteed that he will spend eternity living as that pitiful scrap of flesh that you see in Harry's talk with Dumbledore. Voldemort dies when his wand, which he could not believe did not answer to him, turns on him and bounces his killing curse at him. In the movie, all discussion of redemption is lost drowning the good vs evil discussion under the guise of a more souped up and unnecessary duel.

bleeech

Oh now that I completely agree with!! I heard through one of the podcasts some of the plot changes. They gave spoiler warnings but I wanted to hear it. I was fuming. HOW COULD THEY DO THAT???? It changes everything?!?!? BAH!

And lets not forget Harry being perfectly happy with the wand that chose him at age 11 that he used the Elder Wand to repair his broken wand. And the explanation how the Elder Wand is the only wand that could repair other wands. But noooooooooo they had to nix that. Bah!

I didn't like Hedwig dying but I did like the change they made to show her coming back to defend Harry & being killed for her efforts rather than just being hit by a flying curse.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2011, 12:30 PM   #123
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I love the books. I have re-read them many, many times. The last time I re-read them I said screw it and downloaded the pirated copies. I am tired of holding those big ass hardbacks or the uncomfortable paperbacks.

I want the e-books. I waited for two years before I threw my hands up in frustration and took the morally wrong route. I was thrilled when I learned that I could correct this mistake by buying the books in October. I am now wondering if I will correct that mistake when the e-books are available. I am tired of being jerked around by JKR and her advisors.

And that is what she is doing. Either release the e-books or don't but stop leading folks on.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:51 PM   #124
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
In the movie, all discussion of redemption is lost drowning the good vs evil discussion under the guise of a more souped up and unnecessary duel.
As long as you brought that up, I should add that my wife, who has read and enjoyed all the books, had given me a bit of a spoiler about Snape's roll in things, and when I saw it addressed in the last movie, it didn't quite live up to what my wife had told me, so I pulled out the book. Indeed, while the movie did an adequate summary, you really got a better sense of Snape's nature and motivations in the book.

Last edited by ApK; 12-15-2011 at 11:47 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:57 PM   #125
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, there was something about how Snape had been played in the movies that did not make the big reveal as powerful in the movie. And I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that the teachers were treated in the same way all the students who were not Harry, Herminone, and Ron were treated. They were there and kind of fleshed out but never as developed as they were in the books.

Neville is in many ways the best example. We learn about Nevilles parents earlier in the books and see him really grow in the books. There is growth in the character in the movie but you still have difficulty believing that he becomes the leader of the rebel movement at Hogwarts. In the books it makes total sense but in the movie it falls a bit flat.

The secondary characters just did not have the time to be fleshed out in the movies and so some of the bigger reveals fall a bit flat. Snape is the other biggie.
Advert
Old 12-14-2011, 01:43 PM   #126
RHWright
Addict
RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST, Nexus 7
For me the books and movies are two distinct things.

While they are related, the demands of two different art forms makes comparison problematic. It really only helps in highlighting what works best/worst in each and how much that is usually different.

Kinda like comparing the sounds of the Beatles to the tastes of a good wine.
RHWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:24 AM   #127
beautifulsoup
Addict
beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many ereaders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Oh and they never said the store was post-poned indefinitely either. They said it would open sometime in the first half of 2012.
June 30th, perhaps, in that case.
beautifulsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:20 AM   #128
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

No, on June 30th there will be an announcement that due to continuing problems the store will not be opened for at least another 6 months followed by a poll asking if people really want the e-books.

Call me jaded.

Last edited by ProfCrash; 12-15-2011 at 09:23 AM.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:59 AM   #129
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHWright View Post
For me the books and movies are two distinct things.

While they are related, the demands of two different art forms makes comparison problematic. It really only helps in highlighting what works best/worst in each and how much that is usually different.

Kinda like comparing the sounds of the Beatles to the tastes of a good wine.
I agree, I see them as two different universes.

While I think some parts of the films could have been better, they had to carefully pick which plot lines from the books they'd pick to follow since it'd be impossible to film everything. I wouldn't have wanted to see everything in the books on screen.

Something had to give. I think they did a darn good job selecting what was important.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:11 AM   #130
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskyRose View Post
Something had to give. I think they did a darn good job selecting what was important.
Allowing that what's important in the books to one reader might be utterly trivial to another, I'd say the filmmakers did a darn good job of selecting stuff that makes for a good movie.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:15 AM   #131
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
O.K.

[QUOTE=ProfCrash............Call me jaded.[/QUOTE]

Jaded.

carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote