Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 07-23-2011, 11:20 PM   #1
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bebook; prs-950; nook simple touch; HTC Jetstream tablet
another copyright question

As long as I'm thinking about copyrights, I have one more question.

I'd like to make an epub of a book were written in Old English with ligatures,etc. Recently a book was published but the font has been changed from Old English to modern English.

Does the change create a valid copyright in the same way that a translation seems to do? I should point out that there is the ABBYY Fraktur OCR edition that will automatically change the ligatures to modern text without any human intervention as would be required in the case of a language translation.

The Fraktur is extremely expensive, and while I can scan and correct a recent Arno Press facsimile of the Discourses, manual corrections are very time-consuming because ABBYY FR10 cannot recognize the ligatures and will process them as highly variable errors. I've done this before with 3 books and proofing each required several days.

Last edited by bobcdy; 08-15-2011 at 01:23 AM.
bobcdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:20 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Changing fonts is not enough change to copyright a work. As a matter of fact fonts themselves can be copyrighted and you might have to change the fonts to avoid a copyright violation. This, of course, is not legal advice.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2011, 02:25 PM   #3
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bebook; prs-950; nook simple touch; HTC Jetstream tablet
DaleDe: thanks for the reply. If I proceed with working with the modern publication, all fonts in that book would be changed to the basic ADE fonts in the resultant epub.
bobcdy is offline   Reply With Quote