Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 06-26-2010, 12:43 PM   #1
robot
Edge User

root

Ok. So i tried to make it as easy and safety as possible.

First official notice: I doesn't recommend anyone not familiar with linux systems or interested in android or eDGe development to apply this update. It doesn't give you any improovement exept for ability to run apps that required root access. Also you agree that I didn't take any responsability for any problem coused by this update or by any apps or action used root access incorectly. Also this can void your warranty.

Now fun begins:
1. You'll need to have "Better Terminal Emulator Pro" installed first. You can get it here http://www.magicandroidapps.com/wiki...l_Emulator_Pro
2. Download this file http://www.filefactory.com/file/b24168h/n/update.zip
3. Put update.zip to the root of your SD card.
4. Press and hold "rotate" and "menu" buttons while turn of EE using power button. You need to hold "rotate" and "menu" for about 7 seconds to start firmware update process.
5. Whait. EE will reboot several times (just as when you aply any update).
6. Android will load as usuall.
7. Run Better Terminal Emulator Pro and type this commands:
suandr
ash
the first one will grant you root, while second give you advanced shell with root permissions.
That's all, but to start development we will go futher 'cos no software, or hardware keyboard on eDGe support some special characters which required to use shell. Also I was unable to enable adb 'cos adbd say unable to bind to port 5037... nevermind...

8. Make sure that you have wi-fi connection (to local router at least), in Better Terminal Emulator Pro type this commands:
netcfg
busybox telnetd -l /bin/sh
9 On your computer run your favorite telnet\ssh emulator (Like Putty http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~s.../download.html) and start telnet connection to IP listed in output of netcfg (I got this mlan0 UP 192.168.137.9 255.255.255.0 0x00001043
so my IP: 192.168.137.9).
10. You got remote shell with root. You can type in ash, to get advansed shell.
11. ... you're welcome

I doesn't have much time to program something usefull (at least now. I tried a few things. But very unstable) So I hope that there will be some people who can (for example compile Firefox for e-ink screen) or sync both displays...

Old 06-26-2010, 09:32 PM   #2
keng2000
Edge User

Many thanks,
I will try it. the first thing to do is adding Droid Fonts to support more languages.

One question:
Which version of rooted update.zip?

Last edited by keng2000; 06-26-2010 at 11:09 PM.

Advert
Old 06-26-2010, 09:36 PM   #3
fgruber
Edge User

Yeah great job. It would be great to add support for adhoc wireless networks in order to get thetering with a cellphone

Old 06-27-2010, 05:33 AM   #4
robot
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by keng2000 View Post
One question:
Which version of rooted update.zip?
The latest (coyote 1.0).

Old 06-27-2010, 06:27 AM   #5
robot
Edge User

p.s. I still didn't find a way to send an image to eink screen and support didn't want to release the sources or send an example in near future (they didn't say no, but during last monthes every week I send them email and they said that "working on it"). So I will be very thankfull if someone find the way to use e-ink display (maybe compiling some directfb layer or something like this?).
p.s.s. as I see everything connected to e-ink started with "esi*" or "ep3521*" or "fb*" fbdev, dfb. Hope this help.

Advert
Old 06-27-2010, 08:39 AM   #6
keng2000
Edge User

to be save for returning back to normal state,
Could you supply unrooted update.zip.... or the location that the EE keeps the new firmware.

Thanks,

Last edited by keng2000; 06-27-2010 at 08:53 AM.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:00 AM   #7
robot
Edge User

I specially didn't replaced any files, and didn't changed permission to original system. All that this update do is adding patched su version, which (againg, for safety) were renamed to "suandr", and then chmode this file to 4755 to give superuser permissions. So in order to get back to normal you just need to delete "suandr" from system/bin.
But if anything go wrong you'll need to backup your data using EE's backup app, and then apply so called golden update http://www.entourageedge.com/support...ate.golden.zip It will restore system to original factory state. To use, simply rename the file to update.zip and copy it to the root of an SD card or USB drive. Plug-in the storage device to the eDGe while it is powered off and when powering on the eDGe hold the 'menu' and rotate button for the first 5 seconds of start-up.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:56 PM   #8
keng2000
Edge User

REPORT 1:
I have tested rooted update.zip. Unfortunately, It is unsuccessful, after updating, Serial/SKU is unknown, wifi and e-ink app don't work.
Issue suandr is OK, but ash is unknown. No directory or file except Toolbox! and can't change to any dir.

Restore golden update fix the problem, I am back to original state.
Note: Local Backup do backup the Library list but no actual file backup.

I found original update @ http://www.entourageedge.com/support...1.0/update.zip
Will try to use it next time failure.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:27 AM   #9
robot
Edge User

Ok. I got one more report from another user and figured out that with coyot allready installed it takes a little more work to install rooted update. So here's how it work:

1. You'll need to have "Better Terminal Emulator Pro" installed first. You can get it here http://www.magicandroidapps.com/wiki...l_Emulator_Pro
2. Download this file http://www.filefactory.com/file/b24168h/n/update.zip
3. Put update.zip to the root of your SD card.
4. Press and hold "rotate" and "menu" buttons while turn of EE using power button. You need to hold "rotate" and "menu" for about 7 seconds to start firmware update process.
5. Whait. EE will reboot but display "e-ink calibration" page. This is still OK (!)
NEW 6. Download official unrooted update http://www.entourageedge.com/support...1.0/update.zip
7. Extract "update.sh" file from root of rooted version of "update.zip".
8. Replace "update.sh" in non rooted version of "update.zip" with the "update.sh" from step 7. And copy resulted "update.zip" to your sdcard.
9. Once again put sdcard in EE and press and hold "rotate" and "menu" buttons while booting EE using power button.
10. Wait while update finish. Now everything must work as usually (include wifi and eink) and you must have a root installed.

keng2000, the golden update is needed when something go really wrong (like not booting i mean hang up).

Old 06-28-2010, 08:50 AM   #10
keng2000
Edge User

REPORT 2:
It's fixed my previous problem. I found "ash" after upgrade better terminal to advanced shell.

anyway, my objective is making EE to read other languages than English..
from information that you, robot provided, I have done adding Droid fonts into /system/fonts
now EE can display my language correctly.

I am trying to update keyboard and will report soon

REPORT 3:
I have done adding keyboard with my language. Now my EE is perfect.

Last edited by keng2000; 06-28-2010 at 01:40 PM.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:04 AM   #11
robot
Edge User

Android's Droid fonts allready support almost all languages. At least, if you change your location\laanguage preference in setup menu, and after this menu shown correctly in your language, then Droid fonts contain all needed characters set.

BUT if you talking about e-ink epubs, than that's another story. EE developers told me that they didn't include an option to load custom fonts or use custom css (and that's a little confuse me 'cos it's default option in adobe reader mobile). So I didn't spend many time to find out if there's an hack to load custom fonts, but anyway, you much likely need to look at esi/etc/fonts.conf , /system/esi/bin/ e.t.c.
But on the other hand, one of developer of "adobe reader mobile" told me that it's unlikely that I'll be able to add custom fonts if EE doesn't compile this option. But you'll never know until try it.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:53 AM   #12
10tklz
Edge User

My only real interest in rooting my eDGe would be to enable Hebrew fonts which most definitely do not show up while surfing (all I get are those little squares) and to be able to type Hebrew characters as well. If adding other languages works for you guys I may well give this a whirl.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:06 PM   #13
walt526
Edge User

My only interest in rooting the eDGe would be to try to add Android Market. Has anyone tried doing that yet?

Old 06-28-2010, 12:48 PM   #14
robot
Edge User

And my only real interest is to get web browser work on e-ink side )

Old 06-28-2010, 02:38 PM   #15
robot
Edge User

As for market you can typein this commands in shell
setprop gsm.sim.operator.numeric 310004
setprop gsm.operator.numeric 31000
setprop gsm.operator.alpha “Verizon Wireless
setprop gsm.sim.operator.alpha Verizon
setprop gsm.sim.operator.iso-country us
setprop gsm.operator.iso-country us
To fake EE as mobile phone.
But anyway you need to install market.apk (or vendor.apk) 'cos there's no market app on EE.