Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-04-2010, 11:56 AM   #61
h1uke
Zealot
h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: dxg, k3w,k4nt,kpw
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS64 View Post
will there be any updates at all?
I'm still using the one I installed 2 weeks ago since I have no idea where to check for updates...
current agreement is that the FBReader flavor of a Program has to take over and this will be
the only supported version on Kindle. Hopefully, the maintainer(nickname: Dzha) will announce the beta release soon.

So, please stay tuned.
h1uke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:17 PM   #62
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS64 View Post
Well, except that one thing (select a word somehow) FbKindle is perfect for me. I finally have syllabication, I can get a much nicer page view (I can finally add a defined gap between paragraphs), and I just can switch back and forth between FBK and Kindle itself.

Duokan for me is so far just works for changing the device date in case I have to reboot (my kindle refuses to connect to my WiFi, without Duokan I probably would have sent it back already since with the wrong date the newest books always end at the end of my book list).
For reading books Duokan is not usable since too many letters (especially German umlauts) do not appear at all or are displayed with a completely wrong font.

I agree PDF rendering is better in Duokan than in Kindle itself, but then again my opinion is that you need a way bigger display (bigger than Kindle DX) to read most PDFs, so better still means "not usable" here too.

I'm still searching for a tablet device where I can easily read musical sheets...
What is syllabication?
Yes, I agree that Kindle is too small for pdf, but at least Duokan can reflow the text (however badly), and even in normal mode, pdf's can be quite readable rotated. After many attempts using programs like ABBYY reader to OCR pdf's and convert them to html for editing, then converting them to mobi, I have given up on large books in pdf like the Oxford Book of American Verse, because making the table on contents alone is a mammoth task.

Is there any reason that the cursor doesn't work in fbKindle? Is this because Launchpad doesn't support it?
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2010, 09:25 AM   #63
blanca_luz
blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle DXi-Touch-Keyboard-FireHD; Nook Touch Glowlight; Sony PRS-T1...
This is really amazing!!!
Now I can read all my Fb2 properly in my KDXi and switch back to kindle normal mode, if I wish, within seconds.
And now I'll start playing with Epub format. It's really amazing.

Thanks to all of you who make this possible!!!!

And thanks WS64 for your config. It looks great!!!

Now I think I've got the best reader ever
blanca_luz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:30 AM   #64
meem
A Reader who can think..!
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi - Kindle DX (B004)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meem View Post
Is it supports all languages or UTF-8 ? or just for Latin language ?
I am still waiting for an answer ...
meem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:48 AM   #65
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by meem View Post
Is it supports all languages or UTF-8 ? or just for Latin language ?
In general, FBReader supports UTF-8 and also many other standard language encodings. Even for UTF-8, two remaining issues are a) what font is selected and b) can the language be detected and is it supported (e.g. for hyphenation). I see from the original post that DejaVu Sans is the default font, and this supports a relatively wide range of characters. Right to left languages are supported since FBReader 0.10.0.

Last edited by wallcraft; 12-07-2010 at 02:57 AM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2010, 04:25 AM   #66
meem
A Reader who can think..!
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi - Kindle DX (B004)
Thank you for your care.
So, It's worth to try.
meem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:36 AM   #67
ebookrights
Banned
ebookrights began at the beginning.

Device: none
What is a better alternate OS to use right now FBReader or Duokan?
ebookrights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:35 AM   #68
jetfin
Enthusiast
jetfin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jetfin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jetfin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jetfin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jetfin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura One, KPW, K3, K2i, K2US
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebookrights View Post
What is a better alternate OS to use right now FBReader or Duokan?
FBreader is not an OS, just a program that amongst others supports epub and fb2 formats.

Having said that, it basically depends on what you are looking for -Duokan still has a way to go in terms of getting rid of bugs and improving support for epub and mobi formats. In my eyes, Duoakans main strength is its PDF support which is much better than kindles -and that's basically what i'm using it for now: It's become my PDF OS...

fbKindle (FBreader) works great for epubs and gives you complete control over text/paragraph/page formatting -the nice thing is that you can quickly switch to fbKindle from the Kindle OS and back again without rebooting...

Hope this helps...
jetfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:24 PM   #69
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Just wanted to thank everyone involved for their work on this. It's nice to finally be able to load up epubs on my Kindle if I choose to.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:06 PM   #70
xlendi
xlendi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G, Nokia N810
Hi! It's just GREAT. Now I can read all my old epub files originally created for Sony PRS-600 to my Kindle! It’s cool feature. Only problem I have with *.pdb files in Czech. Will be Windows-1250 encoding supported soon? Standard FBReader (e.g. this one for maemo devices) supports just every possible encoding.
xlendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:07 PM   #71
h1uke
Zealot
h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: dxg, k3w,k4nt,kpw
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlendi View Post
Only problem I have with *.pdb files in Czech. Will be Windows-1250 encoding supported soon? Standard FBReader (e.g. this one for maemo devices) supports just every possible encoding.
First of all, the kindle flavor of FBReader is 100% "standard" and does support the Windows-1250 encoding.
But, it is implied by default that this encoding scheme is also supported by host OS.
Unfortunately, that's not true in case of Amazon linux, so we have to provide our own definitions for CP1250.

Unpack the attached archive and copy the result to

fbKindle/share/zlibrary/encodings/

directory on your kindle. After that your .pdb files in Czech will work, just make sure that
the following settings are made when adding the book to the library:

Code:
[Common tab of Book Info dialog]

Language - Czech
Encoding Set  - East European
Encoding - Central European (windows-1250)
I tried this book and the above worked for me.

HTH,

h1uke
Attached Files
File Type: zip windows-1250.zip (1.4 KB, 354 views)
h1uke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:04 AM   #72
xlendi

Thanks, it works

JUST COOL! I will prepare the post to the Czech e-book forum and inform the Czech and Slovak readers that now it's possible to read almost all pdb books in correct Czech!
Old 12-16-2010, 06:40 AM   #73
janvanmaar
Addict
janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3G, Samsung SIII
Quote:
now it's possible to read almost all pdb books in correct Czech!
This was always possible, of course. This just saves you the conversion (but frankly, keeping and reading books in old Windows-1250 encoding just sounds awkward to me, you will probably have to convert to UTF at some point anyway since that is the current standard)
janvanmaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:45 AM   #74
xlendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by janvanmaar View Post
but frankly, keeping and reading books in old Windows-1250 encoding just sounds awkward to me, you will probably have to convert to UTF at some point anyway since that is the current standard
Sure, you're right. I personally have converted all my books to Unicode too. With Calibre it took about twenty hours or less. But because the history of e-books reading in the Czech Republic (on old Palm OS devices) there are tons of Czech books in pdb at Windows-1250 which is the Microsoft's standard for Czech documents till today. And FBReader on Kindle does support both. I'm sure that the the possibility to read plain pdb files with correct Czech could be one of the main reason for "old readers" to change their Palms or mobile phones to Kindle.

Last edited by xlendi; 12-16-2010 at 09:13 AM.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:39 AM   #75
zetlorf
zetlorf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I'm wondering when we see the new version of fbReader/fbKindle?
zetlorf is offline   Reply With Quote