Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-30-2010, 07:26 PM   #1
kajoob
kajoob doesn't litterkajoob doesn't litter

Device: Kobo
Arrow How the hell do you use Locations?

There's a small blurb in the user manual about viewing your progress, but I can't find any Amazon documentation on how exactly Locations works. Having another way to specify your place in a text that is independent of typeface, font size, or margins is a great idea, but I have no clue how to use it. Does anyone have a primer on this?
kajoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:54 PM   #2
pizda
Enthusiast
pizda began at the beginning.

Device: kindle, iPad
Maybe it is only a coincidence but I figured out the strange "Location x-x". I think that 1 location is the amount of thext displayed on screen when you select the biggest font size. I set biggest text and then every next page changes location by one. Location 1-2, next Location 2-3, ... Making the fonts smaller makes the location indicator hard to figure out.
pizda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2010, 08:39 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
**Sigh**
A location is 128 bytes of content.
Bigger font = less locations per "page"
smaller font = more locations per "page"

Quote:
Making the fonts smaller makes the location indicator hard to figure out.
Not really. In the book I'm reading right now, the indicator says: "Locations 1730-37".
It simply means that the "page" represented by your font-settings, words-per-line, etc... contains the locations 1730 through 1737.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:54 PM   #4
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Unfortunately, what everyone is saying is that it's one big guess unless you want to sit with your calculator. I just make an approximation based on how far through the book I think I am. Than I guess again, and again. Ha! reminds me of structural engineering calculations in the old days.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:50 PM   #5
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
Unfortunately, what everyone is saying is that it's one big guess unless you want to sit with your calculator. I just make an approximation based on how far through the book I think I am. Than I guess again, and again. Ha! reminds me of structural engineering calculations in the old days.

cheers
Exactly. It's not even something you can calculate, because locations count bytes you can't see.

One heavily formatted page (screen) of text can have many times more locations than the next page of text, even if they have the same number of words.

Read a book that was converted from something like Word, and you'll have a big mess of ugly code that proves the main reason why locations are so cryptic and why they won't ever become a standard.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2010, 10:28 PM   #6
mdovell
Zealot
mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle DX
here's something kinda related...what do the dots mean in collections that are under the titles? I'm under the assumption that longer means a longer book but I'm not totally sure
mdovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:41 PM   #7
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
here's something kinda related...what do the dots mean in collections that are under the titles? I'm under the assumption that longer means a longer book but I'm not totally sure
Yes. It's a rough estimate of the length of the book.

(I wondered if each dot was reflective of 1,000 locations, but it doesn't hold up that way as the size goes up. e.g., The Stand has 19,000+ locations, but 15 dots.)
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:23 AM   #8
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
I wish they would just figure out how to display page numbers, relative to the font size you are using.

Locations is so confusing, even Amazon doesn't explain them in the manual. Telling, indeed.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:26 AM   #9
Dwayne_Matheson
Connoisseur
Dwayne_Matheson is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
I really don't see the problem. Read the book, who cares what page number you are on? Does it really make a difference? If you need a reference point for where you are, even though the Kindle remembers that for you, see what percent you have completed.

Read people, stop staring at where you are in the book and start enjoying the story!
Dwayne_Matheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:28 AM   #10
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
I don't see it as a problem, but I do see the implementation is more confusing than not.

Either give us page numbers or get rid of locations. I simply find the location number completely useless. At least a page number would further resemble a paper book.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:31 AM   #11
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Actually, I like locations, and the % indicator of where I am in a book.

I see pg numbers in my Kobo -- eg pg 4 of 57 (which varies as I change the font size) on the base line. Unfortunately, "pg 4" doesn't usually match with the "actual" pg number on the right hand size of the page in light grey. And, I can't tell how many chapters or pages are left without a laborious trek through the table of contents.

Using an e-reader, I haven't an issue with losing "page" numbers in the same sense as a physical book. So, for me, "locations", last location and the % calc work quite well for me to keep me "oriented".

To each her/his own.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:53 AM   #12
jangell2
Addict
jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
It seems to me that the most frequently valuable "location" information is the percentage. Since the Kindle will return to the place where I was last reading automatically, I haven't even bothered with bookmarks yet.

However, if I wanted to direct a fellow Kindle user to a particular place in a book, then I would need Locations. That's the only use for Locations that I can think of.
jangell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:20 AM   #13
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
i think the dots show how far into the book you are i.e.what % of the book you've already read. they are based on last page read
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:47 AM   #14
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I'll admit it took me a while to understand locations and how they work. I guess it would he more accurate to say learn how to use them. But know I really like locations and think that locations is a better system for ebooks than page numbers.

So my advice is don't try to learn how they work just use them as if they where page numbers.

First of to find determine how far into a book you are just use the percentage indicator.

To give somebody a page number then use this method.
A page number list something like 504-592 just use the first number '504'.

The reason I like locations is because they are dead on accurate regardless of what setting or device you are using.
For instance I read a lot of personal material on my kindle and BlackBerry so wispresync does not work on my ebooks. (since wispresync only works on amazon purchased ebooks). With locations I can easily keep the books I'm reading synced by just jumping to the correct location.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:50 AM   #15
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jangell2 View Post
It seems to me that the most frequently valuable "location" information is the percentage. Since the Kindle will return to the place where I was last reading automatically, I haven't even bothered with bookmarks yet.

However, if I wanted to direct a fellow Kindle user to a particular place in a book, then I would need Locations. That's the only use for Locations that I can think of.
Percent is okay, but in and of itself is not enough, imo.

I use locations to get a feel for how 'big' one book is vs. others I've read. I like to have an idea as to what I am getting myself into (time wise) when starting a book. I just drop the last digit from the location number to give me a quasi page number. Works for what I need.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote