Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 06-28-2013, 09:14 PM   #1
epubfan
epubfan began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Please implement faster index-search

I have a library with 21.000 books and the index-search (title, author and so one) is very very slow (3 minutes and longer).
Any chance to implement a faster index-search-algorithm to calibre?

epubfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:40 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by epubfan View Post
I have a library with 21.000 books and the index-search (title, author and so one) is very very slow (3 minutes and longer).

Your Anti-Virus is probably killing performance
OR
You are doing an unqualified search (Not specifying the search field) or adjusted the tweak to limit fields searched when not qualified.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:03 AM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

I got faster results after removing comments from Search preferences - see attachment

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	107438  
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:39 PM   #4
epubfan

OK, thanks.
Qualified search in 1 column is faster.
My default search before was "title, authors, tags, series, publisher".
But i am nevertheless a little confused that searches in 5 colums need so long time.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:42 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
OK, thanks.
Qualified search in 1 column is faster.
My default search before was "title, authors, tags, series, publisher".
But i am nevertheless a little confused that searches in 5 colums need so long time.
IMHO Tags is the un-qualified search performance killer.
Each tag is a record below the skirts. How many different tags do you have?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:06 AM   #6
epubfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
IMHO Tags is the un-qualified search performance killer.
Each tag is a record below the skirts. How many different tags do you have?
active are title, author, date, size, words, language, format.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:18 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
active are title, author, date, size, words, language, format.
I suspect format may slow things down because I think it refers to the extensions of files in the book folders

I thought there was a corresponding database column with a different name that was faster - but I've forgotten the name and I can't see it anywhere so maybe I dreamt it

BR
Old 06-30-2013, 07:33 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I suspect format may slow things down because I think it refers to the extensions of files in the book folders

I thought there was a corresponding database column with a different name that was faster - but I've forgotten the name and I can't see it anywhere so maybe I dreamt it

BR
Does this refresh your memory --> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=188312
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:01 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
- approximate_formats() is what I was thinking of, good to know I've better things than Calibre. perchance to dream upon

epubfan - suggest you do a search on approximate_formats to see what its all about - its a function rather than a column - you'll need to create a custom column - see attachment

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	107516  

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-30-2013 at 11:14 PM. Reason: add screen shot
Old 06-30-2013, 08:08 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
- approximate_formats() is what I was thinking of, good to know I've better things than Calibre of which to dream on

epubfan - suggest you do a search on approximate_formats to see what its all about - its a function rather than a column - I don't know for certain that functions can be used in searches but I'd be surprised if they can't.

BR
Just create a custom column based on other columns and then use that fiction call in the definition of the column. When I'm back at my PC will post how to do it.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:35 AM   #11
epubfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Just create a custom column based on other columns and then use that fiction call in the definition of the column. When I'm back at my PC will post how to do it.
Hm, then all informations in 1 db-column and searches will be faster or what is the trick?
Old 07-01-2013, 10:23 AM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

No idea... All I was trying to do was to aid with the possible format column issue. Try searching the calibre forums for other people with performance issues...

The column I refer can be added via Preferences | Interface | Add your own column
Code:
Lookup name:    approxformats
Column Heading: Rough List of Formats
Column Type:     Column built from other columns
Template:          {:'approximate_formats()'}
Old 07-01-2013, 05:43 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Hm, then all informations in 1 db-column and searches will be faster or what is the trick?
You wrote you search in title, author, date, size, words, language, format.

With the exception of format, these are database columns, the database is 'heavily indexed' in order to make searching and sorting fast.

However, 'formats' refers to the extensions of files in book folders, hence a search (or sort) must crawl through the library folder tree looking for files whose extensions match the search term, which is slow.

But, 'approximate_formats()' refers to a derived list of formats that you need to put in a custom database column which will be fast for the same reasons other database column based searches are.

See the link that Peter T posted for a discussion of why & how the function came to implemented. And see http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/temp...ximate-formats for definition and caveats

BR