Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 08-17-2009, 04:05 AM   #1
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Report of a busted Opus Screen

Via Teleread ... Someone reported a busted Opus screen after carrying it in their pocket down some stairs.

They put it in their back pocket -- I'm not sure I'd recommend that for any eink device. Especially not with the extra pressures from going down stairs.

My take is that I don't consider this a black mark against Opus so much as a cautionary note on 5" screens. It may be easy to toss them around and mistreat them and this can be a problem given the fragility of eink screens.

in French: http://www.actualitte.com/actualite/...re-fragile.htm

Google translation:
http://translate.google.com/translat...istory_state0=
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:13 AM   #2
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Whoa, not good ...

Still I wouldn't make generalizations about neither Opus nor 5" devices. Given that an eInk screen is fragile, it should even be more robust if it's one inch smaller than that of current devices.

But then, this is why I miss a cover for the Opus. And I mean a sturdy cover.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2009, 04:19 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Thom View Post
But then, this is why I miss a cover for the Opus. And I mean a sturdy cover.
The carrying pouch is extremely sturdy - the front and back are very "rigid" leather (or something that looks like it). I suspect that this person was not carrying the Opus in the pouch.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:28 AM   #4
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Quote:
I suspect that this person was not carrying the Opus in the pouch.
That thought had occured to me too. Did you already try to carry the Opus within the pouch in one of your trousers' back pockets? I mean, does it still fit?
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:35 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd never carry anything in a back pocket. It's an invitation to pickpockets, and you're likely to sit on it by mistake!

The pouch adds very little to the bulk of the Opus. It makes it "thicker" (the pouch with the Opus in it is about 1.7cm thick), but not really significantly larger in width or height.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2009, 07:46 AM   #6
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
I found this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLOPt...e=channel_page

and this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvLj6...e=channel_page

on youtube, sounds like they cannot break the screen just by fitting it in a pocket
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:06 PM   #7
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I wince when I see my daughter and her friends stuff mobile phones into their back pockets. I really can't figure out what this guy was thinking putting a book reader in a rear pocket -- even if they were loose pants .

Last edited by emellaich; 08-17-2009 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:17 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One of the reasons I dislike a 5" screen is it's too pocket friendly and pocket friend eink can and will lead to broken screens (IMHO).
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:25 PM   #9
emellaich
Wizard

I wonder how Teleread got Bookeen to respond so fast?

At: http://www.teleread.org/2009/08/17/b...youre-careful/

Michael from Bookeen puts his support behind the idea that the Opus is 'pocketable'.

I'm not a Bookeen fan, but I don't really consider this an Opus problem. Could be an issue common to all eink devices or mis-handling by the reviewer.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:50 PM   #10
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Device: CyBook Gen 3, Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
At: http://www.teleread.org/2009/08/17/b...youre-careful/

Michael from Bookeen puts his support behind the idea that the Opus is 'pocketable'.

I'm not a Bookeen fan, but I don't really consider this an Opus problem. Could be an issue common to all eink devices or mis-handling by the reviewer.
Have you seen the so-called videos?! You see an Opus spinning and whirling around after falling and hiting the "ground" (?)... You can't see any background, surroundings or the height it is dropped + no sound. If it's dropped at all and this is not a computer generated animation (which it kinda looks like to me...).

However, since they'll come up with plastic screens you'd better be carful with your readers (from any manufacturer)!
gerraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:09 PM   #11
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
What gerraldo said.

+ 1!
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:02 PM   #12
Mathlete
Enthusiast
Mathlete began at the beginning.

Device: Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerraldo View Post
Have you seen the so-called videos?! You see an Opus spinning and whirling around after falling and hiting the "ground" (?)... You can't see any background, surroundings or the height it is dropped + no sound. If it's dropped at all and this is not a computer generated animation (which it kinda looks like to me...).
They probably hired the same people who faked the moon landing.
Mathlete is offline   Reply With Quote