Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-07-2008, 07:04 PM   #1
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
Problems in direct sunlight

Hi all,

I found a problem with my iLiad while reading outside. When the screen refreshes while being exposed to direct sunlight, the black ink fades to a very bright gray. Is this a screen fault or normal behaviour?

Unfortunately I don't have a good camera at hand, but I will post pictures as soon as possible.
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:49 AM   #2
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
It's the same here.
similiar thread in iRex Forum When reading in the sun the letters fade

Another thing: the blinking LED is useless outside, it is not visible.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2008, 11:55 AM   #3
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
Thanks for the link, looks like this is normal behaviour. But I would like some officials to confirm it...
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 12:06 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem is that the iLiad is using 1st generation eink technology and 1st generation eink technology as used on the iLiad and the PRS-500 do fade in direct sunlight. Vizplex screens (2nd generation) do not fade in direct sunlight. The only way to prevent this fade on the iLiad is to get iRex to change to a Vizplex based screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 01:38 PM   #5
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem is that the iLiad is using 1st generation eink technology and 1st generation eink technology as used on the iLiad and the PRS-500 do fade in direct sunlight. Vizplex screens (2nd generation) do not fade in direct sunlight. The only way to prevent this fade on the iLiad is to get iRex to change to a Vizplex based screen.
Where did that information come from?
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2008, 08:53 AM   #6
orcinus
Gadgeteer
orcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enough

Device: iRex iLiad, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770, BB 7200, Samsung i600, iPhone
What on earth does the TFT film (which is what VizPlex is) have to do with E-Ink capsules and fading in the sun? o_O
orcinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:57 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Goodness knows why, but practical experience does suggest that 1st Gen eInk screens fade in bright direct sunlight, whereas VizPlex screens do not. WHY that's the case I don't know.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:05 AM   #8
orcinus
Gadgeteer
orcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enough

Device: iRex iLiad, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770, BB 7200, Samsung i600, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Goodness knows why, but practical experience does suggest that 1st Gen eInk screens fade in bright direct sunlight, whereas VizPlex screens do not. WHY that's the case I don't know.
From what i've experienced and read, it seems this only happens while refreshing the screen (i.e. while the film/electrodes are applying an electrical field), so it really does seem to have something to do with the film. I just don't get what

Except, maybe, if it isn't really (sun)light related, but heat related. Heat could increase the resistance and cause a voltage drop, which could, in turn, cause the capsules to "polarize incompletely" (and turn gray instead of full black).
orcinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:21 AM   #9
mvoosten
Zealot
mvoosten began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcinus View Post
From what i've experienced and read, it seems this only happens while refreshing the screen (i.e. while the film/electrodes are applying an electrical field), so it really does seem to have something to do with the film. I just don't get what

Except, maybe, if it isn't really (sun)light related, but heat related. Heat could increase the resistance and cause a voltage drop, which could, in turn, cause the capsules to "polarize incompletely" (and turn gray instead of full black).
Doesn't look like heat. Try this:
In direct sunlight, hold your hand above the screen with your fingers spread so it cast a shadow of your fingers on the screen.
Now flip the page. You will see a distinct print of the shadow with darker letters then the rest of the screen.
Considering that the shadow is small it should not have a direct huge impact on the temperature.

My thought is that it might have to do with the influence of UV light? Anyway, this is very very annoying and there is no smallprint about this behaviour. Should we consider this as a defect anyway then? Flipping pages in full sunlight makes the tekst barely readable.
mvoosten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:23 PM   #10
sputnik
Enthusiast
sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: EB 1150, iLiad
is this problem permanent? Does the screen of the iLiad behave normally once you bring it back indoors (or out of the sun)?
sputnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:08 AM   #11
Martijn
Connoisseur
Martijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-books

Device: iLiad
As far as I can tell it has had no permanent effect on my iLiad screen.
Martijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:15 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What you are seeing is an issue related to the 1st generation eink screen. I had the same thing with my Sony PRS-500. The newer Vizplex screens do not have that problem in direct sunlight. But, when you have your Vizplex screen where it is really cold, it behaves sluggishly till it warms up. I don't recall if 1st generation eink had this issue with cold.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:18 AM   #13
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Did'ja see my vacation tips? A simple solution is to hold the reader in a baseball cap and let the brim shade it. Works like a charm.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote