Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-23-2011, 03:36 AM   #1
iridius
Connoisseur
iridius began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone (to get Dell Streak & iPad)
What is the difference between the main metadata.db and sub-directory metadata.db?

What is the difference between the main metadata.db and sub-directory metadata.db files?

If I have a library but have lost teh metadata.db file in the root, will the metadata.db files in the subdirectories for each book do anything?

Thanks.
iridius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:52 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridius View Post
What is the difference between the main metadata.db and sub-directory metadata.db files?
There is only one metadata.db file and that is in the root of your calibre library. The other files you see are metadata.opf files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iridius View Post
If I have a library but have lost teh metadata.db file in the root, will the metadata.db files in the subdirectories for each book do anything?
Those other metadata files are all opf files and yes these files could be used to rebuild your metadata.db (calibre database) by using the Restore database menu option under Library maintenance (see attached).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	librarymaintenance.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	67170  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2011, 09:11 AM   #3
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Those other metadata files are all opf files and yes these files could be used to rebuild your metadata.db (calibre database) by using the Restore database menu option under Library maintenance (see attached).
The reconstructed metadata.db file should have all the original book related info. It won't have an non-book related info. My primary concern about non-book related info that will be missing is custom recipes. I have many of them.

Custom columns are also stored there and won't get recovered. I run a separate backup solely on the metadata.db file, in conjunction with a full backup of all books and the metadata.db file.

Personally, I'd never use the Restore database menu option as it wouldn't give me what I want most - recipes. I'd simply use my best backed up metadata.db (with my recipes) and then run an error analysis on the db to find books that are in the folders, but not in the db.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:17 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
restore database does restore custom columns (custom column and user categories metadata is stored in the OPF files).
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:20 AM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
restore database does restore custom columns (custom column and user categories metadata is stored in the OPF files).
Great! Is there anything other than custom recipes that doesn't get restored? I don't think I'm ready to give up my metadata.db backups yet, but it would be nice to know that I could get back even if I'd lost my backups by running restore and grabbing my original recipe mods (which I usually keep in my recipe development area).
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2011, 11:44 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
settings stored in the db like column layout hidden categories in the tag browser and so on.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote