Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
rolexconfuse
Connoisseur
rolexconfuse began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
New owner of the onyx M92

So I recently purchased the M92 and so far it looks pretty cool. Faster and lighter than the Kindle DX. I'm looking over the unit and wondering if I'm not seeing this but I thought there was a slot for the pen on the M92 itself. Isn't there?
rolexconfuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
No, there is not slot for a pen in M92. The slot is in the cover.

It would be nicer, if there is a slot for pen in M92, but it is hardly possible. M92 is quite thin (which is nice), and pen is already quite thin (which is not so comfortable)...
The current pen wouldn't fit in. Making M92 thickier just because of pen is not very wise and making the pen even thiner would rise even more complains...

Some people even buy bigger pen or put the current pen in a 'holder' to make the pen thickier.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:55 PM   #3
rolexconfuse
Connoisseur

i see, thanks
Old 04-02-2012, 03:56 PM   #4
rolexconfuse
Connoisseur

another thing, should I be worried that my M92 did not have the screen film on it. The entire unit was not covered in any plastic. It was in the cover already
Old 04-02-2012, 06:24 PM   #5
rolexconfuse
Connoisseur

another question,

If I use the "zoom by selection" and rotate the screen to "horizontal view", clicking "next page button" automatically sends me to the bottom of the next page and not the top of the next page. Can you change this?
Old 04-02-2012, 06:29 PM   #6
Defenderland
Groupie
Defenderland doesn't litterDefenderland doesn't litterDefenderland doesn't litter

Device: M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexconfuse View Post
another thing, should I be worried that my M92 did not have the screen film on it. The entire unit was not covered in any plastic. It was in the cover already
Mine had no sreen film attached, too. Screen is fine here.

Last edited by Defenderland; 04-02-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Defenderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:33 AM   #7
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
Quote:
If I use the "zoom by selection" and rotate the screen to "horizontal view", clicking "next page button" automatically sends me to the bottom of the next page and not the top of the next page. Can you change this?
Next page sends you to the same place of next page in M92. It is good in some cases (you crop the text to get rid of big margins, but you see the whole 'page') and unpleasant in other cases (you see only part of the 'page').

I hope Onyx works on 'smart' next/prev page behaviour and that it will be implemented in new firmware (1.7).

Regarding missing screen protection film. As far as I remember there was none on my unit. I think ut is not needed. The display is from glass (unlike most of current displays, whicg are plastic), so it is much harder to scratch it.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:08 AM   #8
brombus
Enthusiast
brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.

Device: none
Quote:
another question,

You can change the mode of work. Go to Layout and try to choose option Scroll Pages.
brombus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:57 AM   #9
rolexconfuse
Connoisseur

I'll give that try and see how it works
Old 04-03-2012, 10:28 AM   #10
rolexconfuse
Connoisseur

I purchased the M92 so I could stop paying for printed textbooks as they're heavy and cost way to much. The Kindle DX was to slow, the IPAD's backlight screen bothered my eyes way to much, didn't want to leave my work screen to stare at another screen, and the weight of the ipad3 was to heavy. From the demos, Jetbook color had very slow page turns, I didn't need the color, and the price was to high. The M92 looked like the perfect solution. So after using the M92 for the day, here are my feelings

- Sometimes when using "hide margin" or "zoom" the text is just a bit too light. I wish there was a way to increase the font contrast.

- I read mostly PDF files and those files are basically scanned IT text books. Most of the IT text books (printed) that I own are not letter size. I measured the pages in some of my textbooks and found that the pages diagonally are 12 inches (including margins). But the actual text portion is 10 inches diagonally. So one would not think .3 inches to be that big of a deal but it seems to make a big difference. Text size on the printed text book just feels more pleasant/bigger than the text on the M92.

So now I'm sorta torn, I like the M92 but I don't know if i should keep it or not. Or maybe it's the way the textbooks were scanned? As i didn't scan them myself

Last edited by rolexconfuse; 04-03-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:03 AM   #11
Defenderland
Groupie
Defenderland doesn't litterDefenderland doesn't litterDefenderland doesn't litter

Device: M92
deleted

Last edited by Defenderland; 04-03-2012 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Overlooked workaround
Defenderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:45 AM   #12
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
I purchased the M92 so I could stop paying for printed textbooks as they're heavy and cost way to much. The Kindle DX was to slow, the IPAD's backlight screen bothered my eyes way to much, didn't want to leave my work screen to stare at another screen, and the weight of the ipad3 was to heavy. From the demos, Jetbook color had very slow page turns, I didn't need the color, and the price was to high. The M92 looked like the perfect solution. So after using the M92 for the day, here are my feelings

- Sometimes when using "hide margin" or "zoom" the text is just a bit too light. I wish there was a way to increase the font contrast.

- I read mostly PDF files and those files are basically scanned IT text books. Most of the IT text books (printed) that I own are not letter size. I measured the pages in some of my textbooks and found that the pages diagonally are 12 inches (including margins). But the actual text portion is 10 inches diagonally. So one would not think .3 inches to be that big of a deal but it seems to make a big difference. Text size on the printed text book just feels more pleasant/bigger than the text on the M92.

So now I'm sorta torn, I like the M92 but I don't know if i should keep it or not. Or maybe it's the way the textbooks were scanned? As i didn't scan them myself
Did you try the "glyph embolden" function of M92 for pale books? (it is in "menu->tools").
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:28 PM   #13
rolexconfuse
Connoisseur

Hey booxter, just tried that and it works great. I guess the only thing thing is some sort of free zooming by percentage. Like 180% or 183%
Old 04-03-2012, 03:28 PM   #14
mSSM
Connoisseur? Addict!
mSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with others

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
Hey booxter, just tried that and it works great. I guess the only thing thing is some sort of free zooming by percentage. Like 180% or 183%
There kind of is something like that. If you use the latest release of the 1.7 RC firmware, you have a zoom option called "two-point zoom". It's not really the same as specifying a percentage, but at least you can more or less zoom precisely into the part of the page you want to have a look at.
mSSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:13 PM   #15
rolexconfuse
Connoisseur

I don't want to update to RC1.7 as it appears there are too many problems with the firmware. I'm on firmware 1.6 and I think it has that 2 point zoom that you're talking about, "select zoom". It works but not what I was looking for. For the PDF files that I'm reading, 175% font is too small and 200% is great but it requires me to scroll up and down the page. I think 180%-185% would make the font size in the PDF similar to the printed book and show whole page at once.