Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 07-21-2009, 11:07 PM   #511
del1357
del1357 began at the beginning.

Device: SmartQ 7 (prospective)
ColdSun, Houndx,

Thanks, I'll give it a try in the morning. I'm not sure if I can even flash the Q7, though, seeing as how I can't type in a website address and it's not playing nice with my SD card...
del1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:37 AM   #512
AlanMc
Enthusiast
AlanMc began at the beginning.

Device: SmartQ7
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukop4 View Post
hi coldsun

i flashed it to version 4

can i make a suggestion to everyone

get the chinese manual translated to english-it will save you a lot of trouble

anyway i have a question

i flashed my device but now there is in the upper right hand corner covering the icons a bar with more icons -chinese letters and a picture of a penguin-how dop i remove this icon

secondly can you help me load streamtuner and streamripper
these are must have apps
There is English manual in the website www.eletroworld.cn/service/

What icon is in the corner? Click the bar for a little long time, that it will pop up a window to setup the tool bar.
AlanMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2009, 12:42 PM   #513
raver_dave
raver_dave began at the beginning.

Device: smartQ7
That "thing" on the toolbar is fcitx -- the chinese glyph input tool.

Unless you are inputting chinese glyphs, "rm /usr/bin/fcitx" unclutters the desktop. :-)

Cheers,
raver_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:11 PM   #514
del1357

Guys,

Thank you for the help. I re-flashed the Q7 and all's well - it's perfect for comics, just what I was looking for. Thank you, ColdSun!

Only one problem left, and that's that it won't connect to my Verizon wireless network (as my MacBook wouldn't before I called them) - anyone else have the same problem?
Old 07-23-2009, 11:17 AM   #515
Nation.A.List
Addict
Nation.A.List doesn't litterNation.A.List doesn't litter

Device: SmartQ 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by del1357 View Post
Only one problem left, and that's that it won't connect to my Verizon wireless network (as my MacBook wouldn't before I called them) - anyone else have the same problem?
Can you give a few more details. How exactly are you trying to start the connection? What messages/error messages are you getting when you try to connect?
Nation.A.List is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2009, 01:00 PM   #516
del1357

Nation.A.List,

The connection itself works fine (I've went to Starbucks to make sure) but when I try to connect to my Verizon network, it won't get past the "obtaining IP address stage". After a while of that, it just quits saying "not connected."

I also had this problem with my MacBook, initially. Verizon was aware of it, so once I called 'em, they told me to download something that cleared it all up. I'm not so sure that they're going to be able to do likewise for the Q7.

I'm really just putting off a laborious call to Verizon, but if anyone has any ideas, I'd be glad to hear them.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:16 PM   #517
Suwat
Enthusiast
Suwat began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia N800, SmartQ7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_ronin View Post
Change the openbox keybindings.

I just started to look at this -- it's not enough for what I want to do, but it will solve your problem.

Right now, Smart has configured the power button to launch coman, which is the program you see when you touch the power button.

The config file is /home/user/.config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml. There is a section called <keyboard> that has what you need to change.

Look for :
Code:
<keybind key="XF86PowerOff">
  <action name="Execute">
    <startupnotify>
      <enabled>true</enabled>
        <name>coman</name>
    </startupnotify>
    <command>coman</command>
  </action>
</keybind>
Change it to:
Code:
<keybind key="XF86PowerOff">
  <action name="Execute">
    <startupnotify>
      <enabled>true</enabled>
        <name>Suspend</name>
    </startupnotify>
    <command>sudo pm-suspend</command>
  </action>
</keybind>
Now when you press the power button, the device will suspend.

If you find it is happening by accident a lot -- you keep unintentionally pressing the button -- add the following line:

Code:
<prompt>Suspend Device?</prompt>
below the <command> line. It will ask you if you want to suspend.

You can still power off from the normal menu, and you can still configure the touchscreen with Alt-Power.

I'm not an openbox guy, but that should work.

Now, does anyone know how to make keymaps? I want to globally configure Alt-Esc as F11. Help!

m a r
Thanks for your post, I solved my touchscreen problem. My smartq7 touchscreen lock-up a lot and I had to do a hard reset. Now, I can just suspend, turn it back on and continue where I left off. I use the power key to suspend and A-power to invoke coman.

What do you want to config Alt-Esc as F11 for? If you, like me, just want to toggle evince to fullscreen, you can:

<keybind key="A-Escape">
<action name="ToggleFullscreen"/>
</keybind>

But if you really want key-mapping, it's probably impossible for openbox. After your suggestion above, I did some research on openbox website and couldn't find anyway to map keys in openbox. You may need to write a shell script to send the F11 key for you. This is way over my head though.
Thanks again, Suwat.
Suwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:32 PM   #518
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nokia 770 (fbreader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suwat View Post
Thanks for your post, I solved my touchscreen problem. My smartq7 touchscreen lock-up a lot and I had to do a hard reset. Now, I can just suspend, turn it back on and continue where I left off. I use the power key to suspend and A-power to invoke coman.

What do you want to config Alt-Esc as F11 for? If you, like me, just want to toggle evince to fullscreen, you can:

<keybind key="A-Escape">
<action name="ToggleFullscreen"/>
</keybind>

But if you really want key-mapping, it's probably impossible for openbox. After your suggestion above, I did some research on openbox website and couldn't find anyway to map keys in openbox. You may need to write a shell script to send the F11 key for you. This is way over my head though.
Thanks again, Suwat.
Glad I could help. My Q7 is back at Eletroworld -- the screen kept locking up, and finally I couldn't get it to boot or reflash properly. They've promised to fix it and send it back.

Evince is too heavy for the Q7, but you're on the right track with your comment. I uninstalled Evince and installed epdfview which is related to Evince, but doesn't require all the Gnome libraries. Good, fast and light -- but it uses F11 to toggle fullscreen.

As I mentioned, I'm not an openbox guy, so I had no idea it could toggle fullscreen -- I will definitely try your tip when my device returns.

Actual remapping of keys: I think it's just a matter of changing the keyboard mapping, using xmodmap and xev, etc. But I was having so much trouble with the screen and booting, it fell by the wayside.

Aloha,

m a r

ps: up until 4 months ago I lived in Salaya!

Last edited by rogue_ronin; 07-23-2009 at 03:35 PM.
rogue_ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:05 PM   #519
cleo2525
cleo2525 began at the beginning.

Device: q7
What is video playback like ( and sound on the video)

hey guys im mainly just wanting this for odd web browsing etc

and to watch the odd movie

can this device play xvid and divx files ok along with the sound from them

have a few films i got they xvids i think and each film about 700mb or so

just i have read through reviews and not alot of them mention video playback
cleo2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:37 PM   #520
Project
Enthusiast
Project began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
I uninstalled Evince and installed epdfview which is related to Evince, but doesn't require all the Gnome libraries. Good, fast and light -- but it uses F11 to toggle fullscreen.
Hi Rogue Ronin, could you give me a brief tutorial on how to install epdfview?
I'm a tota newcomer to linux...
Also, is it necessary to uninstall Evince or can I do it later?
So, if I'm not satisfied with epdf I can go back to evince...
The reason I would like to try epdf is that Evince is crashing a lot with pdf that are rich of graphic images (i.e. magazines) so I'm thinkng that maybe, something lighter will not crash as often

thanks in advance

Project
Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:58 PM   #521
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project View Post
Hi Rogue Ronin, could you give me a brief tutorial on how to install epdfview?
I'm a tota newcomer to linux...
Also, is it necessary to uninstall Evince or can I do it later?
So, if I'm not satisfied with epdf I can go back to evince...
The reason I would like to try epdf is that Evince is crashing a lot with pdf that are rich of graphic images (i.e. magazines) so I'm thinkng that maybe, something lighter will not crash as often

thanks in advance

Project
Read this thread. Down the thread I describe how to add the Debian repository from handhelds.org. It may be slightly different if you've flashed 4.0 -- my machine is in warranty repair, so I cannot test.

Once you have that sorted, just type:

Code:
sudo apt-get install epdfview
It should show up in the menu once it's all set. When in doubt, answer yes in the terminal (usually just tap the enter key.)

If you decide to remove Evince:
Code:
sudo apt-get remove evince
Linux is case-sensitive, so don't type Evince.

You've got some stuff to learn about linux, but it's good stuff.

Luck!

m a r
Old 07-25-2009, 04:43 AM   #522
Suwat
Enthusiast
Suwat began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia N800, SmartQ7
Hi rogue,

Can epdfview do .cbr and .cbz? That's the reason I'm using evince right now. I don't do much pdf's. On N800, I used Cbrpager which suited me very well; fast with lots of options. I tried Cbrpager version at the http://repository.handhelds.org repo but it is old and cannot do screen rotation. I tried the latest version for arm in the cbrpager web site and had to re-flashed my smartq7 twice. There was a problem with .Xauthority which coldsun's method didn't work for me. At the moment, I've changed a lot of options in my q7 and just don't wanna re-flash and do them all again. By the way, I am quite new to linux. Is there any software that can pull the firmware out of the q7 like Window's Norton Ghost? Then experiment with q7 will be easier.

Suwat.

ps: For the past 2 months, I drive my kids to school pass Salaya every day.
Suwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:05 AM   #523
rogue_ronin
Banned

I don't know... you should try it, since you don't have to uninstall evince to do it!

If it doesn't work, try using comix : Coldsun explains how, here.

I'd be able to help more, but my Q7 is in China being fixed.

m a r

ps: I left Salaya in April, now in Ratchadaphisek -- but I'm returning to the US in about 3 weeks... :|
Old 07-25-2009, 04:42 PM   #524
o6xcc
o6xcc began at the beginning.

Device: SmartQ 7
Somebody, please help me! I'm try to reflash my smartq 7 and now device don't boot up. When it power up, i see only red light.

PS. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEeYsHT6H9c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My7IIEPLjK4

Last edited by o6xcc; 07-26-2009 at 05:27 AM.
o6xcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 03:06 AM   #525
alilxmas
Enthusiast
alilxmas has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: SmartQ 7, VX787
Hi could someone d/l these 3 images to their Q7 stock OS and tell me if there is any difference in quality (such as text readability, crispness, etc. ), using just the included photo viewer program.

And also see if there is any difference between the (2) files named medium one is 96dpi other is 300dpi.
I might try the comix reader program, but might not and just use jpg in folders.

I've ordered my Q7 already and would like to start getting my comic and start scanning them as I have quite a few, and I do mean alot.

Thanks to anyone that can help.

Small.jpg

Direct link
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/3683/screensmall.jpg

================================================== =========

Medium.jpg

Direct Link
http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/7...reenmedium.jpg

================================================== =====

Medium 300dpi

Direct link
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/1...dium300dpi.jpg