Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-26-2010, 01:13 AM   #1
rangepig
rangepig began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (soon!)
Info Amazon collects about books I didn't buy from them?

I've seen a thread or two here (or in the developer forum) about Amazon receiving log files over 3G/WiFi from the Kindle that contains info about what we're reading, etc. I imagine this is how they keep our placeholders in sync.

But what about books I loaded on my Kindle that I didn't get from Amazon? I just downloaded a bunch of free books from the Baen publishing website in Mobi format. What information will Amazon collect when I read these books, or even just load them on my new Kindle 3 when it arrives? I imagine since I didn't get them from Amazon no placeholders will be synced in case I open the same file on my laptop, correct? Can I even open converted Mobi files in the Kindle desktop app? (I guess I'll go give this a try after I post this).

I'm just wondering how much Amazon cares if I use my Kindle to read things I got from other vendors, and the privacy advocate in me doesn't think it's any of their business in the first place.

--Jim
rangepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:17 AM   #2
jezebel
Fanatic
jezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Kindle Fire (5th Gen), Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangepig View Post
Can I even open converted Mobi files in the Kindle desktop app?
I tried this yesterday and it worked fine.
jezebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert