Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-09-2007, 05:51 PM   #46
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
I hate when ups reschedules my deliveries!
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:38 PM   #47
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I've added a review of the light I ordered here. I wanted to put it in its own thread so it'd stand out better.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2007, 06:05 AM   #48
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sartori
No luck with finding this lamp outside of the USA.

Does anyone have any idea how can I buy it?
Maybe I should contact the forum magic wand - Leaping Gnome?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 06:47 AM   #49
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat
No luck with finding this lamp outside of the USA.

Does anyone have any idea how can I buy it?
Maybe I should contact the forum magic wand - Leaping Gnome?
What's the problem with buying it from Amazon?
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 06:49 AM   #50
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do you live in the USA?
If not, just try to place an order. You will see.
Advert
Old 04-03-2007, 07:09 AM   #51
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Hm, didn't know Amazon has restrictions on electronics.
This shop seems to have no problems sending the light overseas, though their shipping is a bit on expensive side:
http://www.toolsforwellness.com/99629.html
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 07:35 AM   #52
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk
Hm, didn't know Amazon has restrictions on electronics.
This shop seems to have no problems sending the light overseas, though their shipping is a bit on expensive side:
http://www.toolsforwellness.com/99629.html
Thanks a lot.
Shipping charge is 15$. I think it is more or less a standard price. So, quite possible I am going to order it!
Old 04-03-2007, 08:39 AM   #53
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Thanks a lot.
Shipping charge is 15$. I think it is more or less a standard price. So, quite possible I am going to order it!

astra, please let us know how it works for you and possibly with some pictures. This light looks quite good.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:39 AM   #54
phigdon
phigdon began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I use a Mighty Bright booklight and it works very well with the Sony Reader. It also runs on AA batteries and you can order it with an AC adapter too. I didnt like the LED lights personally, it had too much glare and was too harsh. This one works gerat and if it breaks or is lost then I can repace it for under $10 US.
phigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:13 AM   #55
astra
The Introvert

Sure, if I order it I will let you know what I think about it once it arrives.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:21 PM   #56
astra
The Introvert

Placed the order.
It will take about 18-40 days to arrive.

I will let you know when it arrives.

igorsk Thanks again!
Old 04-10-2007, 11:40 AM   #57
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Placed the order.
It will take about 18-40 days to arrive.

I will let you know when it arrives.
Well, surprise, surprise!
I have received the light today in the morning.
I am going to test it and will post some pics and my opinion about it on Sunday.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:37 PM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Well, surprise, surprise!
I have received the light today in the morning.
I am going to test it and will post some pics and my opinion about it on Sunday.
is it good enough to get? I don't wanna wait till Sunday to find out.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 02:39 PM   #59
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf
is it good enough to get? I don't wanna wait till Sunday to find out.
No idea.
I gotta to use it for 2-3 nights to tell you whether it is good or not.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:53 AM   #60
astra
The Introvert

OK. My first impression is ...
Well, I would like to warn you that I used it only for 10 minutes yesterday night and I was pretty tired by then...
...very positive.
I will start with the negative though. The case feels sort of fragile. You should treat it with some care. I would not use the button for turning the light on/off 10 times per hour, a design of the lamp is very flexible though.

The rest of my feelings toward the lamp after 10! minutes of reading are positive. I am going to compare it with PRS-LIGHT01 because I received PRSLIGHT01 maybe a week ago, so I can compare them directly. While sony's light has a "blue" light, verilux has either white or yellowish light and it is much brighter and friendlier to "my" eyes. After 20-25 min. reading with PRSLIGHT01 my eyes would hurt. They would feel very tired almost from the start. Either because it is bluish or because it is not bright enough. I don't know why. I think the latter is the real culprit. Although, as I said I used verilux only for 10 minutes so far.
The light is spreading evenly across the screen which is almost as important as brightness. It is even even (please excuse the pan) if you clip verilux to the top of the reader. If you clip it to the side, then 95% of the reader's screen is covered evenly which is a big improvement over PRSLIGHT01. Also there is no reflection of the light from the screen. I guess it is because the light is positioned very low in comparison to any other lights I have dealt with before and because it is brighter and you don’t have to push it close to the remote edges of the screen, so you don’t position the light over the screen itself thus avoiding any glare effects.
Dunno if I express myself coherently enough
If you don’t understand something just ask me. I will try to do it better

Anyway. It can work without batteries. It can be connected via USB cable (supplied) to a PC, however they say the light might be dimmer due to USB power limitations? If you insert 2 AA rechargeable batteries into the lamp and connect it to the PC, the lamp has a built-in charger and will charge the batteries in 10-14 hours.
The bulb’s life time is about 10.000 hours and they say you should never face a situation when you need to replace it. In a very unlikely situation contact them directly.

Conclusions or a brief summary:

* It is brighter than PRSLIGHT01 – which is good for eyes

* The light is more natural than PRSLIGHT01 – again better for eyes (IMHO)

* No glare – again the major problem with PRSLIGHT01 if you want its light to spread evenly all over the screen.

* It is very light even with 2 AA inside.

It uses a different type of bulb than leds. Dunno which one is friendlier for the eyes. I believe – verilux.

After using the light for a few more nights 1 hour each night, I will be able to tell you how my eyes feel about the new light. Also I will make a few digi pics and post them here. All of this probably on Sunday.

Last edited by astra; 04-11-2007 at 06:57 AM.

Tags
bug light booklight