Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-20-2010, 04:25 PM   #1
Mike13579
Mike13579 began at the beginning.

Device: none yet :D
Could someone please explain collections?

From my research collections is something exclusive to Sony model e-readers. Im leaning toward buying the Sony PRS300 because it is Sub $200 and has bookmarks. I read alot of series of books and was wondering how the collections work. For example, can i name a collection after a certain series of books and than add those books into that collection, sort of like a folder, and if i can have books just on the main library section not belonging to collections.

Thanks for your help.
Mike13579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:32 PM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Simple answer is "Yes"

Collections can be named after series and you can add books to collections plus you can just have other books in library that aren't in collections. They act like folders in many ways but are actually meta-information... tags on the book so you can actually have book in more than one collection e.g. Butcher's "Dresden files" could be in both a Detective collection and a Fantasy collection as well as a Dresden collection.

Yake a look at calibre as well... file translation/database tool that is great for making collections and adding other tags.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2010, 05:14 PM   #3
Mike13579

Thank you for your fast response. One more question. Can i delete collections so i only have the collections named after series and not fantasy and detective? And Dresden Files was one of the series i am currently reading, its really good.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:44 PM   #4
Freckles
Freckles began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505, ipod touch, awaiting Astak EzReader
Yes, in the Sony Reader Library you can create collections (or folders) giving them any name you like, and then drag and drop books into the folder. If you no longer need a collection you can delete it and the book will still remain in other collections. When transferred to the book reader, the collection will show up with the books in it.

In other words you could delete the 'Detective' collection and your book would remain in the 'Dresden' collection.

Hope that all makes sense!
Freckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:51 PM   #5
Mike13579

Thank you so much for all of your help. I really appreciate it.
Advert
Old 05-20-2010, 07:07 PM   #6
Freckles
Freckles began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505, ipod touch, awaiting Astak EzReader
I have been reading on my 505 for over a year now and have been very pleased with it. I do like having collections to keep my books organised.

I haven't been terribly impressed by the software however. Like elcreative, I use Calibre to create collections for my reader.
Freckles is offline   Reply With Quote