Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 10-10-2009, 10:57 AM   #1
mcysr
mcysr is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Lower price direct from ectaco with ear light 200$

http://www.ectaco.com/ECTACO-jetBook-Graphite/

Also includes usb/power cable, which appears to be included with all of them anyway, at least the four I have bought.

Maybe this cable is different? Does my jetBook not charge when it is hooked up to the computer with the standard, included, usb cable?

Is this a stock reduction prior to new model introduction?

Last edited by mcysr; 10-10-2009 at 01:15 PM.
mcysr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:15 AM   #2
mcysr

Ok, to answer my own question. I realized I have never actually used the included cable, but have been using a cable that I had lying around, and when connected to a PC, the battery charge icon comes on the jetBook.

Went and found the original box, and pulled out the supplied cable, which is a dual head usb, which I think is for extra power, for some low power computer usb ports, and it appears to charge the jetBook too.

Wonder what the special cable does?

Matthew
Advert
Old 10-10-2009, 06:17 PM   #3
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Charges it faster! USB standard is 500 milliamp per port, two ports=one amp. I have a few other peripherals that like more power, and they usually come with the dual plug cables.

For my jetBook, a standard cable works and is fast enough for me. I don't like using up two precious USB ports just to charge my jetBook.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:20 PM   #4
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
I wish their price was reflected across the globe. Buying direct from Ectaco through their Australian site says $439.95 AU for the jetbook (roughly $400US).

I would place right now an order for one through their Australian website if the price was close to the US price, but not at 2X.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:06 AM   #5
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Charges it faster! USB standard is 500 milliamp per port, two ports=one amp. I have a few other peripherals that like more power, and they usually come with the dual plug cables.

For my jetBook, a standard cable works and is fast enough for me. I don't like using up two precious USB ports just to charge my jetBook.
really? I thought it had the second head just so you can charge while still reading. I thought the red was not a sync port. though I have never tried it
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2009, 03:45 AM   #6
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
Cute, trying to compete with new egg. ^_^
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:11 AM   #7
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
I wish their price was reflected across the globe. Buying direct from Ectaco through their Australian site says $439.95 AU for the jetbook (roughly $400US).

I would place right now an order for one through their Australian website if the price was close to the US price, but not at 2X.
hey solicitous,

ive heard before that some companies wont ship overseas, my sister lives in Australia and got it from eBay with super cheap shipping! Here's a link to the jetBook, you can also get it in any color from what i understand:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ECTACO-jetBook-P...#ht_631wt_1165
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:06 AM   #8
mcysr

Sorry, I wasn't clear. They're advertising a special 'dual power/datalink cable' as an extra gift in addition to the earlight. Is this special 'gift' cable any different from the cable that already comes with the jetBook?

I also read a news release on their site where they announce their deal with Newwegg and Frys.

Higher prices in Australia and Europe are not fair, especially as the thing is made in China, and this appears to be more than just VAT tax difference.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:01 PM   #9
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Mcysr, far as I can tell the dual power data link cable is standard. The ear light is a bonus.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote