Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-10-2009, 07:43 AM   #1
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
"Victorian" literature - is it an ok phrase?

In another post I described a novel as 'Victorian' literature.
(I.e. dating from the reign of Queen Victoria in Britain.)

But, now I'm wondering if this isn't an Anglo-centric phrase that won't mean much to many people in a world-wide forum. And some may think it's an Australian book (or from somewhere else with a 'Victoria' placename).

Would it be better just to use early/mid/late nineteenth century instead?
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:40 AM   #2
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
If it's a British novel, I would say 'Victorian' is an apt description. My experience with literary categorization in university has been that there is great flexibility for non-British novels. For example, I was made to read Lives of Girls and Women by Alice Munro for FOUR different classes run by different branches of the literature department (first-year English, Women in Literature, Canadian Literature and Post-Colonial Literature). Now, obviously, every modern novel written by a Canadian is a 'Canadian novel' but is it also a 'Post-Colonial' novel? And what about novels written by Canadian citizens who were not born here, such as Rohinton Mistry, who won the Governor General's Award for his novel about a family in Bombay, India? Canadian novel or not?

Use whatever term helps you describe it and don't get caught up in semantics would be my advice Does it matter, in the end?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2009, 08:40 AM   #3
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
You had me all excited. I thought a writer from Victoria British Columbia had a new novel out.

No, seriously, the Victorian age is a well known concept in my part of the world, but then again Canada was once a colony so possibly not as well known in all parts of the world.

The English Empire reigned far and wide and there are many places named after Queen Victoria.

If it's acceptable to name furniture styles and architectural styles "Victorian", I see no reason not to place a novel in the "Victorian literature" era.

WDE.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:55 AM   #4
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
A perfectly apt description. The "Victorian Age" describes a period in history during the reign of Queen Victoria in England. That period may well overlap with some other periods in history, such as the "Napoleonic Age," but the term is still valid as a description.

Here in the States, we have houses we call "Victorian" or "Edwardian" ... not because they are of the style that was popular during those reigns. Similarly, we often refer to furniture as being Louis Quatorze because it reflects the style that was popular during his reign, and he certainly wasn't English.

Any time a style, of art, architecture, writing .... any time a style of anything becomes extremely popular during the reign of any monarch, it is common to eventually associate that style with that queen or king. If there is no globally known king or queen associated with the style, then it generally gets tagged either with a cultural moniker, or a designation associated with the period of history unique to that culture (such as saying "Federalist" or "Colonial" or "Early American" for types of American art, or "Mayan" or "Aztec" or "Hopi" for cultures in which the art or architecture did or does not change appreciably over a long period of time, but is clearly distinct.

In the states, since we change leaders at least every eight years, it's difficult to associate long term cultural trends with any one leader. It's easier to do in a monarchy since often the ruler sticks around as long as the cultural trend, and in some cases helps to set the style.

Geeze, I can be so long winded. Anyway, yes, it's perfectly fine to describe literature as Victorian or Elizabethan, or Georgian .... especially if those terms have been used since forever to describe that period of time.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:58 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
... although "Queen Anne" style furniture has nothing whatsoever to do with Queen Anne (1702-14); it dates from the last quarter of the 19th century.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2009, 12:14 PM   #6
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Austen's works brought up issues that were currently happening in a highly stylised way, such as the breaking down of adherence to traditional values in families. Louisa May Alcott's Little Women could have been Victorian, except for being on the wrong side of the ocean.

Dickens' works showed the consequences of the breakdown of family and the cultural move to cities and industry.

Two sides of the same Victorian coin.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:55 PM   #7
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
... although "Queen Anne" style furniture has nothing whatsoever to do with Queen Anne (1702-14); it dates from the last quarter of the 19th century.
I never knew that. Thanks for enlightening me.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:13 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The people who designed it claimed that they were reintroducing the "graceful" styles of the reign of Queen Anne, hence the name.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:27 PM   #9
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
The people who designed it claimed that they were reintroducing the "graceful" styles of the reign of Queen Anne, hence the name.
Rather like the Pre-Raphaelites actually being post-Raphael - but harking back to an earlier era.

to all who responded to my original query - it's much appreciated.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:29 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Rather like the Pre-Raphaelites actually being post-Raphael - but harking back to an earlier era.
Yes, exactly like that .
Old 08-10-2009, 05:20 PM   #11
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Well, that's probably why they usually use the term "style" after the "Queen Anne" designation. I could build a house today in the Victorian "style" it wouldn't make it a Victorian house.

Saying something is in the "style" of a certain period means exactly that. It means that it is an homage to that period. I can't believe that I'm having to explain this to an Englishman ....
Old 08-10-2009, 06:42 PM   #12
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Sparrow, I agree with Ricky, the term is fine. There are many aspects to Victorian Lit than just the time it was written.

Although somewhat written in the time period, I would not describe Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes as Victorian. Harry (who knows far more about Conan Doyle and his writings than I do) may disagree and if so, I am interested to know why.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:48 PM   #13
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
The cool kids prefer the phrase "Vic Lit"
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:35 PM   #14
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Sparrow, I agree with Ricky, the term is fine. There are many aspects to Victorian Lit than just the time it was written.

Although somewhat written in the time period, I would not describe Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes as Victorian. Harry (who knows far more about Conan Doyle and his writings than I do) may disagree and if so, I am interested to know why.
I would not consider Conan Doyle's works to be "Victorian" either. Perhaps they are in time, but not in style. Again, "style" being the operative word. The man was an author of the Victorian period, however, his writing is not as turgid as that of many of the writers of the time (especially those of the early Victorian Age).
Old 08-10-2009, 10:13 PM   #15
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
I was thinking about Queen Victoria the moment I saw the "Victoria".. i bet most of us would think that way too. so i guess you were right in that point.

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote