Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #1
pcskibum
Skibum
pcskibum began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505
continuous page numbers in Epub

I would like to know if there is a way to have continuous page numbers with epub. I.E. I will have a series with page 2 then page 2-3 then page 3 etc. I want to get rid of the page 2 hyphen 3. I hope I am explaining this clearly. Can that be done with Calibre?
pcskibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskibum View Post
I would like to know if there is a way to have continuous page numbers with epub. I.E. I will have a series with page 2 then page 2-3 then page 3 etc. I want to get rid of the page 2 hyphen 3. I hope I am explaining this clearly. Can that be done with Calibre?
There are NO (real) page numbers in EPUB.
Zoom the font. Now what page are you on
What you may be seeing is the result of an attempt to display something: Page 2, 3rd screen

some versions of ADE display a Page (character block count) in the right margin (a block being about 1024 characters)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2012, 12:51 PM   #3
pcskibum
Skibum

Thanks for the quick reply. I am using a Sony PRS 650 and it shows page numbers on the center bottom of the page. Like I said it show page x then page x-y the page y etc. The confusing issue is that I have no idea of how many pages are left to read.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply. I am using a Sony PRS 650 and it shows page numbers on the center bottom of the page. Like I said it show page x then page x-y the page y etc. The confusing issue is that I have no idea of how many pages are left to read.
That must be a newer version of ADE.
These numbers are generated by the reader device, not Calibre.

Welcome to the world of EPUB. Some reader don't show any progress, except for current page (if it happens to be on the screen you are on).
My reader will show a guess, if I use the Info button. Then it is 3/271. I have also seen that number recalculated upwards as I approach it (the worst case I saw was off originally by 100 ) .

Try some of you settings on the Sony and see what you can do. Try the information/About... while viewing the book.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:45 PM   #5
pcskibum
Skibum

I thought maybe there was tweak in Calibre that could accomplish it. I couldn't find anything on the Sony reader that would solve the issue.
Advert
Old 03-06-2012, 05:00 PM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
I thought maybe there was tweak in Calibre that could accomplish it. I couldn't find anything on the Sony reader that would solve the issue.
Don't think there's a way to solve this issue. If you install PRS+, there might be some acceptable alternatives or you could turn off the index completely. As theducks has explained, ADE counts page numbers by 1024 character blocks.

Page: Characters
1: 1-1024
2: 1025-2048
3: 2049-3072
4: 3073-4096

Meaning if the screen is displaying characters 1536-2560, the status would show 2-3. The upside of this is page numbers are fixed regardless of font size. So say, you're at the doctor's and you start reading a book on the PRS-350 and stop at page 100. If you wish to continue reading on the PRS-650 when you get home, then you just go to page 100 and you're more or less where you left off on the PRS-350 despite the difference in screen size.

On my PRS-350 with small font, 1 ADE page usually equals 3 screen refreshes.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #7
pcskibum
Skibum

Thanks for the explanation. When I convert to lrf format I always would get a continuous page number but obviously epub is handled differently on the PRS-650.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:00 AM   #8
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Don't think there's a way to solve this issue. If you install PRS+, there might be some acceptable alternatives or you could turn off the index completely. As theducks has explained, ADE counts page numbers by 1024 character blocks.

Page: Characters
1: 1-1024
2: 1025-2048
3: 2049-3072
4: 3073-4096

Meaning if the screen is displaying characters 1536-2560, the status would show 2-3. The upside of this is page numbers are fixed regardless of font size. So say, you're at the doctor's and you start reading a book on the PRS-350 and stop at page 100. If you wish to continue reading on the PRS-650 when you get home, then you just go to page 100 and you're more or less where you left off on the PRS-350 despite the difference in screen size.

On my PRS-350 with small font, 1 ADE page usually equals 3 screen refreshes.
Great explanation which I shall shamelessly use to explain similiar question from a friend of mine. He wants his page numbers to change with font size.

Hyphenated page numbers don't upset me.
Me I just use page numbers to see where I am at (can I finish book before I nod off or should I just stop now) or I have read 100 pages and I am pretty uninterested, should I continue because there are only 17 more pages or quit because there are 1199 more pages. (Of course I should probably quit anyway).
Other than that I don't actually look at the page numbers.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:19 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Thanks for the explanation. When I convert to lrf format I always would get a continuous page number but obviously epub is handled differently on the PRS-650.
Lrf doesn't really show page numbers it shows screen numbers and the value changes if you change the font size. It does do a good job of letting you know how many screens are left. Epub shows page numbers based off of the basic formula ilovejedd outlined so well. The plus is that if I read the same book on my prs505 that you are reading on your prs650 page 100 is the same page no matter what font size you or I choose.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:42 AM   #10
pcskibum
Skibum

Thanks again for the explanation. Does it work the same way with the Nook?