Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 07-31-2007, 07:34 PM   #1
DNel
DNel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader
Download Help

I'm new to ebooks and I'm looking at tablet/slate PC for my device. Until I make my purchase (probably a Motion LE1700) I was hoping to view a few ebooks on my desktop. I have both Mobipocket Reader and CONNECT Reader installed on my desktop. When I go to the Upload section and choose a title to download, I do not get the ebook downloaded but instead what is called attachment.php. I have searched the upload help forum which doesn't have any topics there for what I would consider "help". Any ideas on how to get this to download the actual file? (I have tried Save Target As but get the same file) I've tried it with a couple of eBook files with the same results. Thanks
DNel
DNel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 07:41 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Click E-Books and find the book you are interested in and the format you want. Then click the link. That will take you to the thread where the actual attachment for the book exists. Then click the attachment and your browser should then ask you what you want to do.

Do not right click and save as. That won't work.

Are you in the USA? If so, have a look at one of the two threads on the Sony Reader credit card offer. You might find the Sony Reader more to your liking for ebook reading then lugging around a tablet.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2007, 08:53 PM   #3
DNel

Thanks JSWolf,
What you suggested is what I did in the first place. It was after that didn't work that I tried right clicking then Save Target As. I'm going to try a different web browser. Currently I'm using Internet Explorer, but I will try Netscape to see if that makes a difference. Oh and YesI'm in the US and I have a Sony Card (with Sony's new offer for the Reader at half points, I could get it with the points I've already earned) I have other priorities that require a full PC so I was looking at a Slate with the eBooks as a nice add on. (3lbs isn't tht much and if I were to go with the Motion LS800 it would be only 2.2 lbs.)
Old 07-31-2007, 08:56 PM   #4
DNel

Just a follow up. I was able to download the file after I switched to Netscape. Go figure.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:57 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNel View Post
Just a follow up. I was able to download the file after I switched to Netscape. Go figure.
A suggestion if you don't mind. Netscape is an old version of Mozilla. I suggest you uninstall Netscape and install FireFox which is the current actively developed gecko type browser.
Advert
Old 07-31-2007, 10:09 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNel View Post
Thanks JSWolf,
What you suggested is what I did in the first place. It was after that didn't work that I tried right clicking then Save Target As. I'm going to try a different web browser. Currently I'm using Internet Explorer, but I will try Netscape to see if that makes a difference. Oh and Yes I'm in the US and I have a Sony Card (with Sony's new offer for the Reader at half points, I could get it with the points I've already earned) I have other priorities that require a full PC so I was looking at a Slate with the eBooks as a nice add on. (3lbs isn't that much and if I were to go with the Motion LS800 it would be only 2.2 lbs.)
Yes you can read all kinds ebook formats on your Laptop/Tablet. You can read Digital Editions, MS Reader, eReader, MobiPocket, HTML, RTF, DOC, TXT, PDF, and more as long as there is a Windows reader available.

I've found the weight is not an issue as much as the size. I could not see myself with a tablet on the public transport and then carrying it around would not be as easy. I carry a smallish shoulder strap bag that I keep my reader in and it fits perfectly. And stays hidden as well when not in use.