Notices

Old 09-15-2008, 05:36 AM   #1
ChrisW
New to eBooks
ChrisW began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Vista 64 bit

Hello,
will you please clarify if I should be able to run calibre in Vista 64 and get it to recognise my Sony PRS-505? I am not sure if your message on http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/download_windows "you're out of luck" is definitive as I thought the following paragraph was a work around.

I have it running and recognising the reader under XP in a virtual m/c but I have failed in Vista 64. I cannot get the driver in calibre to install. I get a message telling me that the .inf file is not in the correct format. The reader is showing up in device manager as a disk drive with a standard Microsoft disk.sys driver.
ChrisW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:07 AM   #2
GrimReaperLu
GrimReaperLu began at the beginning.

It works for me

I use Vista 64 bit, premium. I didn't have any trouble setting calibre up, but maybe something in how I got there was the key to make it work.

I ran the Sony Reader System upgrade when I had the reader connected via XP.

I tried to install "eBook Library Software Update for the Sony® Reader" from the Sony web site on Vista but it failed. I made no attempt to clean up from this failure, dunno if anything was left behind.

I installed Calibre on Vista and it worked. I can load my reader with books and news feeds.
GrimReaperLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:43 AM   #3
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
As far as I know the 32 bit only part of calibre is the PRS-500 USB driver
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:29 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You only need the driver for the PRS 500 not the PRS 505. If you use the 505 just skip the driver installation.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:47 AM   #5
ChrisW
New to eBooks
ChrisW began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You only need the driver for the PRS 500 not the PRS 505. If you use the 505 just skip the driver installation.
Many thanks. I now have calibre working in Vista 64 and showing up my Sony PRS-505 and memory card.
ChrisW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:23 AM   #6
rick125
rick125 began at the beginning.

access violation writing 0x00000000

My device is Sony PRS-505 and my OS is Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit. I cannot install the eBook Library by Sony ( installation is interrupted because of this problem: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20455 ). So I'm using Calibre, 0.4.85 version (the last version, at this moment). But when I try a file (pdf) conversion (clicking the “Convert E-book” button), I get this error message:

exception: access violation writing 0x00000000
Detailed traceback:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "main.py", line 985, in convert_single
File "main.py", line 958, in convert_single_others
File "calibre\gui2\dialogs\lrf_single.pyo", line 74, in __init__
File "calibre\gui2\dialogs\lrf_single.pyo", line 44, in initialize_common
File "calibre\gui2\widgets.pyo", line 257, in __init__
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\calibre\library.zip\calibre\utils\fontconfig .py", line 203, in find_font_families
WindowsError: exception: access violation writing 0x00000000

Can someone help me?
mez
rick125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:38 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
looks like the font loading library is crashing. Willb e fixed in the next release, though you wont be able to embed fonts.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:00 AM   #8
rick125

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
looks like the font loading library is crashing. Willb e fixed in the next release, though you wont be able to embed fonts.
Thanks, I'll keep an eye on it !
bye mez
Old 09-25-2008, 12:09 PM   #9
rick125

I've just installed the last version ( 0.4.86 - http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/download_windows ). It works !
Deserves a donation
Thanks, mez