Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-10-2009, 09:07 AM   #1
ChrisZA
Enthusiast
ChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enough

Device: iPhone
Calibre tags & cover missing from Stanza

I've spent the day tagging my ebooks, and applying cover art to all of them. Looks great in calibre. However, when I convert to epub and upload to stanza (iphone) I lose the cover art, and the tags do not become categories in stanza.

I am uploading by putting all files into a web page and downloading from iphone stanza.

When I open the epub file in calibre it does seem to have the cover embedded.

Any ideas?
ChrisZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:25 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
What are you using to run Calibre? If it is a PC you might want to try the calibre2web script - it allows you to use the Stanza Online Catalog facility rather than a simple web page and it definitely displays the cover art and tag information in Stanza.

I certainly get the cover art and tags (Subjects) appearing in Stanza. Whether that information is taken from the catalog entries I use to download or from the epub file itself I am not sure.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2009, 09:54 AM   #3
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZA View Post
I've spent the day tagging my ebooks, and applying cover art to all of them. Looks great in calibre. However, when I convert to epub and upload to stanza (iphone) I lose the cover art, and the tags do not become categories in stanza.

I am uploading by putting all files into a web page and downloading from iphone stanza.

When I open the epub file in calibre it does seem to have the cover embedded.

Any ideas?
I don't use Stanza, but there have been times when a LIT book I am loading into Calibre doesn't have the cover art and I have to download the art from another source into a file (jpg, gif, etc). Then on the Convert e-Book page of Calibre (because I convert to LRF for my Sony reader), you can change the Book cover by browsing and selecting the picture file and then uncheck "Use cover from source file". If you don't uncheck that box, it still continues to use the cover from your original source file. If I add the cover art after I do the conversion to LRF, the cover does not appear on my reader. Hope this helps.
Kaz
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:11 PM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Or you can enable the built-in Calibre-server on Calibre and download your ebooks using that. Just add the location of the Calibre server to an Online Catalog on your iPhone.

http://ip_address_of_calibre_server:8080/stanza/

A nice side effect I've noticed - if ebooks are already in epub format but don't contain cover and metadata information, when you add the data on Calibre GUI and download the epub file using Calibre's built-in Stanza catalog/feed, you still get all the cover image and metadata goodness without having to re-convert to epub.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 03-10-2009 at 02:05 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:23 AM   #5
ChrisZA
Enthusiast
ChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enough

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Or you can enable the built-in Calibre-server on Calibre and download your ebooks using that. Just add the location of the Calibre server to an Online Catalog on your iPhone.

http://ip_address_of_calibre_server:8080/stanza/

A nice side effect I've noticed - if ebooks are already in epub format but don't contain cover and metadata information, when you add the data on Calibre GUI and download the epub file using Calibre's built-in Stanza catalog/feed, you still get all the cover image and metadata goodness without having to re-convert to epub.
Holy cow!!! That did the trick - this is bloody marvelous.
Thanks guys - appreciate the time taken to help.
ChrisZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert