Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-05-2010, 10:11 PM   #1
Mirrorlike
Connoisseur
Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad
Did iOS4 reduce anyone else's iPad battery life?

I used to get ~15 hours, now it feels closer to 8 or 9. It's still enough to get me through the day, but I'm a bit disgruntled about seeing 15% battery life instead of 56%.
Mirrorlike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:17 AM   #2
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
I don't have an iPad of my own, but the girlfriend does and she definitely noticed a bigger battery drain. The rest of the internet has as well, according to Google. Most seem to think it's the addition of multi-tasking and improperly-behaving apps. Of course it could also just be iOS 4 is more resource-hungry than iOS 3, as evidenced by its poor performance on iPhone 3G models. I personally didn't notice much of a battery difference between 3 and 4 on my 3GS, but then I jailbreak and was using multi-tasking apps on 3 so I was already using a fair amount of battery per day. As long as I plug in each night before going to bed, I have enough battery to get through the day.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2010, 07:54 AM   #3
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
You know, I have noticed this increased battery drain too. I was wondering, "why does the battery suddenly hold less of a charge?" But now that you mention it, it started right when I upgraded to iOS4. So that's solved the mystery, at least. Thanks for the post!
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:58 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Has there been any iPad that has NOT run iOS4? I thought that's what it originally shipped with, isn't it?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:38 AM   #5
harakiri
Groupie
harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
iPad came out with iOS 3.2.x
4.2.1 update came end of November

I don't think its draining the battery. At least I don't see this happening with my pattern of usage
harakiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2010, 09:25 AM   #6
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I haven't noticed any difference, but I haven't had time to use my iPad for long stretches since I switched to 4.2.1.

I have two iPads, one of which I haven't upgraded and have loaned out. If the borrower decides to return it, I'll compare the two against each other and see what happens battery-wise.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:40 AM   #7
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
I ran into a worse problem with my 4G Touch where it would drain the battery badly when in standby. It had nothing to do with multitasking, or bad apps or push. It was a wi-fi drain. I turn on airplane mode and it can go weeks instead of 1 day.

My iPad doesn't drain when in standby but I felt like the battery drain was going faster when I upgraded to 4.2 but I still get around 9 hours. It's usually ~5% per 30 mins for the things I do.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:07 PM   #8
Mirrorlike
Connoisseur
Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
The rest of the internet has as well, according to Google.
i can't believe I forgot to check first..

http://discussions.info.apple.com/th...403&tstart=135

According to those guys, wiping & reloading from backup will solve this. I'll post when I have results, hopefully by Friday.
Mirrorlike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:43 PM   #9
devastat
devastat began at the beginning.

Device: Reader
I was experiencing quite fast battery drainage as well after installing iOS 4.2.1.
I plugged my iPad to my desktop and iTunes last night, and clicked the restore button to make a "clean" install of iOS 4.2.1.

I was quite dubious about what the results would be, but I have to say that to my surprise it does really seem like my battery drainage is now back to what it was before. I need to use it a bit more to be absoultely sure, but it does really look like it!!

So everyone who is thinking their battery is running out really fast, I would highly recommend trying this!
devastat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:53 PM   #10
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by devastat View Post
I was experiencing quite fast battery drainage as well after installing iOS 4.2.1.
I plugged my iPad to my desktop and iTunes last night, and clicked the restore button to make a "clean" install of iOS 4.2.1.

I was quite dubious about what the results would be, but I have to say that to my surprise it does really seem like my battery drainage is now back to what it was before. I need to use it a bit more to be absoultely sure, but it does really look like it!!

So everyone who is thinking their battery is running out really fast, I would highly recommend trying this!
Thanks. Good to know before I take a long flight.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:03 PM   #11
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
I was forced to wipe and reload due to an entirely different issue. I actually think my battery is lasting longer. I concientiously close my unused apps though.

With 4.2, exiting an app by pressing the home button no longer necessarily closes an app. When you double click the home key, you can see in the task manager which apps are still running. Some but not all of those may be pulling power from your iPad. To truly close them, you must first double click the home screen to bring up the task manager, then press an app icon until it goes jiggly (like moving or deleting on the home page), then press the little minus sign in the corner. The app will disappear from the task manager, and it will be closed.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:53 PM   #12
devastat
devastat began at the beginning.

Device: Reader
I can now confirm, that this "technique" definitely worked for me. Its now 32 hours since my last charge, and my battery meter is showing 65%

Before I had to charge my iPad at least every other day even if I wasn't using my iPad much..
devastat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:43 PM   #13
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
I haven't noticed any difference in battery life.

If you're experiencing battery drain, check for multitasking apps that may be running in the background.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:41 PM   #14
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryWes View Post
I was forced to wipe and reload due to an entirely different issue. I actually think my battery is lasting longer. I concientiously close my unused apps though.

With 4.2, exiting an app by pressing the home button no longer necessarily closes an app. When you double click the home key, you can see in the task manager which apps are still running. Some but not all of those may be pulling power from your iPad. To truly close them, you must first double click the home screen to bring up the task manager, then press an app icon until it goes jiggly (like moving or deleting on the home page), then press the little minus sign in the corner. The app will disappear from the task manager, and it will be closed.
Not 100% correct. The double-click tray just shows "recent apps", not necessarily "running apps". Deleting a multi-tasking app from the tray should stop it, but deleting a non-multi-tasking app from the tray does nothing. Apps have to be multi-tasking enabled in order to multi-task.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:24 PM   #15
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
Not 100% correct. The double-click tray just shows "recent apps", not necessarily "running apps". Deleting a multi-tasking app from the tray should stop it, but deleting a non-multi-tasking app from the tray does nothing. Apps have to be multi-tasking enabled in order to multi-task.
You are correct. But I don't usually know which are which.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote