Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-11-2010, 11:22 PM   #1
mowog74
mowog74 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Kindle 2 stuck in endless reboot cycle

I have a Kindle 2 that was dormant in a drawer for a couple of months while I did most of my reading on my iPhone. I went to charge up the Kindle the other day and as soon as the battery got some charge the Kindle went into this endless reboot cycle. I see the "Your Kindle is starting up" message, then the screen flashes black and white as usual, and the boot progress bar appears. But the progress bar only gets about 20% of the way across and the screen flashes again and I go back to "Your Kindle is starting up." This repeats over and over, never stopping (unless I take it off the charger and the battery dies completely some hours later).

If I hold the home key down while it's trying to boot, I go straight to the "reset to factory defaults" screen (not straight into recovery mode, which I believe is what's supposed to happen). I've done this hard reset several times. Upon doing the hard reset, the Kindle then boots into recovery mode. From there I'm able to see the device on my computer and copy files to it, so I've tried updating to a freshly downloaded copy of the firmware. I used the instructions here, both using the "1" key to update immediately and also just pressing "R" to restart. Neither gives any indication that the update has actually been applied, I just go right back into the same endless reboot cycle as before.

I talked to Kindle CS about this and they suggested the battery might be to blame, so I bought a replacement battery and installed it last night, and I'm still seeing the same behavior even after yet another hard reset and firmware update attempt. At this point I'm about ready to call it dead, although it seems such a shame since nothing really seems broken except the software! Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Mike
mowog74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:46 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, Mike.

Its kinda late, but you should be getting more answers from the knowledgeable people here tomorrow.

Good luck.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2010, 12:33 AM   #3
mowog74

Thanks! I've got my fingers crossed.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:54 PM   #4
mowog74

Hope you all will excuse the bump, but does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks!
Old 12-13-2010, 02:18 PM   #5
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Hi Mike. At first I thought it was battery problems but that's been replaced.

The only thing I can think of is I wonder if the charger is not working as it should and thus not charging the Kindle up properly?

If you normally charge with a wall charger, could you try a full charge with a USB? Or if you normally charge with a USB can you either try a wall charger or a new USB cable.

Unfortunately I cannot think of anything else which might work.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2010, 02:35 PM   #6
mowog74

I'll give that a shot -- both the old and the replacement batteries have been on the wall charger a lot but I don't think either has been on USB for long enough to do much charging.