Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-31-2012, 10:32 PM   #1
jessie102
Addict
jessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: SONY PRS505
Lost PRS-950, what to buy?

I just lost my Sony PRS-950 at Pearson Airport a month ago and am finding reading on LCD screens uncomfortable.

I need a e-reader of at least 7 inches. (though I found it still too small for academic PDFs)

Needed:
=> 7"
e-ink
Touch screen (preferably multi-touch zoom)
Text to speech
Android (just so I can download a good web browser)
Expandable memory
WiFi
PDF annotation
Notes app (like on the PRS 950)

Any suggestions?

I know Sony likes to release new readers in October. Would you recommend that wait?

Are flexible e-ink screens likely this Q4?
jessie102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:25 AM   #2
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
So sorry for your loss, Jessie. I've been there! I'm still gripping my own 950 tenaciously, as it's the only device I use when giving public readings.

Have you had a look at this chart? It's a bit out of date, unfortunately.

I'd have suggested a DX if not for (1) the bother of converting your library to mobi, (2) the fact it's not Android and (3) the ridiculous pricing at the moment, even on Amazon.

Your cheapest options still seem to be (1) a refurbished 950, (2) a higher resolution tablet (less likely to hurt your eyes) or (3) patience.

Here's hoping someone else on this thread proves me wrong.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 06-16-2012 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Fixed typo.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2012, 03:33 AM   #3
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

On the other hand, the WISEreader C920 (a nine-inch color e-ink reader from Hanvon) looks quite fun. If only it were actually available.

You might also like looking at the Jetbook Color (if not actually buying it). So far, like the screen, reviews have not been glowing.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 06-01-2012 at 03:43 AM.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:40 PM   #4
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Look out for a used 950 on ebay.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:51 PM   #5
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
The 950 is still available on Amazon, if you want to take the easy way out
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2012, 03:04 AM   #6
Flip Martian
Connoisseur
Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.

Device: Sony PRS 350, iPad, Sony PRS-T1
I bought a T1 recently and find it excellent. It is Android based - in other forums on here they describe the simple process of rooting it, to allow you to download and install other Android apps. Not tried that myself as I only need mine to be an e-reader. If you can pick up a bargain one on ebay, as I did, that might be a solution? Also has the benefits of having a familiar interface to you.
Flip Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:58 PM   #7
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

Jessie specified the screen of the e-reader should be seven inches. We haven't been recommending the T-1 because it has a six-inch screen.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 06-16-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:23 PM   #8
Flip Martian
Connoisseur
Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.

Device: Sony PRS 350, iPad, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Jessie specified the screen of the e-reader should be seven inches. We haven't been recommending the T-1 because it has a six-inch screen.
Absolutely correct; my apologies. I was obviously still half asleep when reading that this morning!
Flip Martian is offline   Reply With Quote