Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 08-30-2013, 02:09 PM   #31
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
v1.0.1 Released

Changes in this release:
  • Updated to ensure refreshes main grid for new cover view feature in Calibre.

Thanks Kovid for the steer for the fix and vallema for the bug report.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:31 PM   #32
slobberchopz
Obsessive Compulsive?
slobberchopz is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Great work and very useful tool.

I glanced at the code, and I think it might be faster & preserve image quality if it checks and doesn't resize those that are already the correct size. Otherwise it may attempt smoothing etc, but I really don't know for sure.
slobberchopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2014, 02:45 PM   #33
fidvo
Addict
fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I'm looking for a way to automatically maintain the aspect ratio when resizing the cover. Is that possible with this plugin?

If not, I might try my hand at modifying the plugin myself. Would anyone else be interested in this feature?
fidvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:14 AM   #34
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Beta for calibre change to Qt5

FYI, I am not kiwidude and this isn't my plugin. But I am trying to help out by porting some of the plugins I use regularly while kiwidude is busy.

Attached is a test version that should work for both the existing 1.X calibre and the upcoming 2.X version calibre. 2.x will use PyQt5 which requires changes to virtually all plugins. This version of the plugin has version number 1.201.0.

This version needs to be tested with the existing calibre.

Brave souls to test with with the beta 2.X version would also be appreciated. Links to the 2.X beta and discussion of the transition (for plugins) can be see at: Attn plugin developers: calibre moving to Qt 5.

Last edited by davidfor; 01-26-2020 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Removed Qt5 beta as it has been released.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:15 PM   #35
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@davidfor - working fine for V1.201 portable and V1.44 64 bit

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2015, 05:30 AM   #36
Narengil
Nameless Being

Mofied version with (optional) proportional scaling

Hi, I've modified the plugin to enable an optional proportional scaling of the cover.

There are two buttons to set an entry to scale "proportional" or "non proportional". The default setting is "non proportional". In proportional mode the cover will be scaled that the width and height will be at least the defined sizes.

The saved config should be compatible with the original plugin, so you could switch the plugins easily.

Since I have no experience with Python I've copy and pasted the code as good as I could

Any response, expecially if there are any problems would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dropdown.png
Views:	651
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	133639   Click image for larger version

Name:	dialog.png
Views:	773
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	133640  

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-28-2020 at 02:33 PM. Reason: remove unofficial version
Old 01-11-2015, 11:36 AM   #37
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narengil View Post
Hi, I've modified the plugin to enable an optional proportional scaling of the cover.

There are two buttons to set an entry to scale "proportional" or "non proportional". The default setting is "non proportional". In proportional mode the cover will be scaled that the width and height will be at least the defined sizes.

The saved config should be compatible with the original plugin, so you could switch the plugins easily.

Since I have no experience with Python I've copy and pasted the code as good as I could

Shouldn't the label use: Maintain Aspect instead of 'proportional'?

or
The Column: 'Aspect Maintained'
Values: No, Yes
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:40 PM   #38
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narengil View Post

Well done! Works for me

I have some 'landscape' covers that are handled nicely with your update -

@other testers - you to do a calibre restart to load the revised PI after installing it - PI's are loaded when calibre starts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Shouldn't the label use: Maintain Aspect instead of 'proportional'?

or
The Column: 'Aspect Maintained'
Values: No, Yes
- although 'proportional' is sometimes used in this context. In my screen shot the one on the right is from Irfanview - could be a translation 'thing', IV comes from a Bosnian living in Austria.

@Narengil the word 'proportional' has a particular significance in the context of books, it refers to fonts and other typographical issues. So in this context - 'Preserve/Keep/Maintain Aspect Ratio' would be a better.

BR
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	685
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	133662  
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 02:25 PM   #39
Narengil
Nameless Being

Thanks for the response.

You were right. It is better to use the term "Keep aspect ratio". I modified the plugin in that way.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dialog.png
Views:	701
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	133705   Click image for larger version

Name:	dropdown.png
Views:	684
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	133706  

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-26-2020 at 03:06 PM. Reason: remove unofficial version
Old 06-24-2015, 07:38 PM   #40
win32
win32 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
One question.

What's best size for cover on Kindle Paperwhite 2?

Thanks and ty for this great plugin.
win32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 05:51 PM   #41
terry.nz
terry.nz is no ebook tyro.terry.nz is no ebook tyro.terry.nz is no ebook tyro.terry.nz is no ebook tyro.terry.nz is no ebook tyro.terry.nz is no ebook tyro.terry.nz is no ebook tyro.terry.nz is no ebook tyro.terry.nz is no ebook tyro.terry.nz is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Glo
I'v just become a member, primarily because I needed to voice my opinion (and issue) with this plugin (Resize Cover). So forgive me if I was meant to start a new thread due the old age of this thread.

To continue... I just applied this plugin to some of my larger (pixel size) covers. I was interested to see what it might actually do the JPG file within the Calibre Library. I was a bit shocked to see that although the pixel dimensions reduced to what I'd set (446 x 680, based on paperback dimensions) the actual file rose in size. I've tested a few covers where the reduction wasn't huge (max 1000 pixels reduced to 680 pixels) but in each case the actual file rose in size between 20% and 50%.

As these are JPG files I know there is a "lossness" figure which can be utilized to reduce image size without "appearing to" lose quality. I'm wondering if the resizing function is attempting to use a 100% quality. If so, is there anyway to change this? I'm my usage of JPG files I've always found that a 90%-95% quality adjustment is more than adequate, in some cases I've used a 67%-75% adjustment where the quality wasn't quite so much an issue, just the ability to present an image, especially when sending them via email.
terry.nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:56 PM   #42
gingerbeardman
Zealot
gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Sony Readers, Kobo Touch Edition, iPhone
Is it possible this could resize based on longest side?

I have it set to 768x1024 for my reader.

But tall covers come out larger than 1024 in height at 768 wide?

Last edited by gingerbeardman; 11-13-2017 at 03:10 PM.
gingerbeardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:11 PM   #43
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbeardman View Post
Is it possible this could resize based on longest side?

I have it set to 768x1024 for my reader.

But tall covers come out larger than 1024 in height at 768 wide?
I just tested this multiple times with tall covers and short covers and the resizing covers plugin resizes both sides. Where do you see this issue? If you open the folder containing the cover what dimension does your OS say the image is?

All I can say for sure is that it is working as expected on my Windows 7 machine.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 11-13-2017 at 08:16 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:47 PM   #44
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The PI adjust covers in the Library Manager, not the book.
You need to update the book after the resize using one of the methods (Polish, Embed Metadata or Convert) (and send it to the device again )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:55 AM   #45
gingerbeardman
Zealot
gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Sony Readers, Kobo Touch Edition, iPhone
In my example I have a tall PDF
https://www.dragonbox.de/Downloads/8..._Manual_V4.pdf

cover generated from the file itself is 846x1890

Resize Cover settings:
width=768
height=1024
aspect=ticked

viewing edit metadata window:

Results: 768x1715

I'd have expected 459x1024
gingerbeardman is offline   Reply With Quote