Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-21-2010, 06:46 AM   #1
karenaH
karenaH began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Help with reauthorising kobo ereader to ADE

Hi all,

I have recently installed the new firmware upgrade to my kobo and I am having trouble with ADE and my kobo ereader. I have reinstalled ADE to my computer so I can download public library books to my kobo and I have successfully downloaded 2 epubs to ADE and then transferred them to my kobo however when I go to access them on my kobo it is coming up with the message that the content is locked and that I need to authorise my ereader with ADE or kobo app... etc. I am pretty sure that I said yes to authorising my ereader when the popup came up once in ADE but it doesn't seem to have worked. I have uninstalled and reinstalled ADE 2 or 3 times and it replugged my kobo in and I am not getting the authorisation popup again. My computer is authorised to ADE.

Can anyone help me... ! I am not sure what to do next.

Thanks. Karena
karenaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:10 AM   #2
karenaH
karenaH began at the beginning.

I have solved the problem!

Re my previous post:

I tried something different this time:

I returned my ebooks back to the library via ADE and then deleted them manually from my kobo ereader. I then reinstalled ADE and then had it opened and then I turned on my kobo ereader and then plugged into my computer. It then came up with the popup to authorise my kobo which I did and it works! I have successfully downloaded an ebook from the public library and because of the firmware upgrade I can now resize the font as well. Yay!

Perhaps I needed to authorise my kobo ereader first before I transferred an ebook from ADE to the ereader solved the problem?

karenaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2010, 03:49 AM   #3
tpw
Zealot
tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Sony PRS650
I'm glad you sorted your problem out. Unfortunately yours is a perfect illustration of the way DRM is a hassle to legitimate users.
tpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:46 AM   #4
peteyq2
peteyq2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Hello:

I have almost exactly the same problem as karenaH. I have a Kobo from Borders & have used the Borders Desktop Application, but have also downloaded Calibre and am intrigued. Today I tried to send a new Borders.com purchase from Calibre to my Kobo. I got the same "file is locked" message asking me to authorize my Kobo with ADE.

However, my version of ADE (1.7.2 for OSX) doesn't seem to have any options for authorizing the Kobo, nor do I get any pop-up message asking me to do that. My computer is authorized to my e-mail address, but that's it.

How do I authorize my Kobo with ADE? Can anyone help? Since the message is generated by the Kobo software on the device, I figure there has to be a way.

Thanks,
Peter Sherman
peteyq2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 01:42 PM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
This is how you do it on a PC, not sure if OSX is different. It assumes that you can see a Kobo in ADE, but for some reason, it needs a new authorization.

Open ADE on your pc, connect the Kobo to the pc.
Then press Ctrl,Shift, E. You should get a box asking of you want to deauthorize, select yes.

Unplug your Kobo from the computer, and plug it in again. Now you should get a box saying that a new device has been detected and you can authorize it.

Last edited by taming; 08-22-2010 at 03:51 PM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2010, 11:54 AM   #6
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
This is how you do it on a PC, not sure if OSX is different. It assumes that you can see a Kobo in ADE, but for some reason, it needs a new authorization.

Open ADE on your pc, connect the Kobo to the pc.
Then press Ctrl,Shift, E. You should get a box asking of you want to deauthorize, select yes.

Unplug your Kobo from the computer, and plug it in again. Now you should get a box saying that a new device has been detected and you can authorize it.
This should get stickied, or carved in stone or something.
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:58 AM   #7
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteyq2 View Post
Hello:

I have almost exactly the same problem as karenaH. I have a Kobo from Borders & have used the Borders Desktop Application, but have also downloaded Calibre and am intrigued. Today I tried to send a new Borders.com purchase from Calibre to my Kobo. I got the same "file is locked" message asking me to authorize my Kobo with ADE.

However, my version of ADE (1.7.2 for OSX) doesn't seem to have any options for authorizing the Kobo, nor do I get any pop-up message asking me to do that. My computer is authorized to my e-mail address, but that's it.

How do I authorize my Kobo with ADE? Can anyone help? Since the message is generated by the Kobo software on the device, I figure there has to be a way.

Thanks,
Peter Sherman
The command for OS X is CMD-SHIFT-E (or D, I think it'e E).
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:49 PM   #8
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I added the following to both the WIki and the Tpis and Tricks sticky:

How can I deauthorize a Kobo (or other) device using ADE?

PC instructions:

Open ADE on your pc, connect the Kobo to the pc. Then press Ctrl,Shift, E. You should get a box asking of you want to deauthorize, select yes.

MAC OS X instructions

Open ADE on your MAC, connect the Kobo to the it. Then press CMD-SHIFT-E. You should get a box asking of you want to deauthorize, select yes.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:18 PM   #9
peteyq2
peteyq2 began at the beginning.

Thank you, taming and Juliette for your replies. I couldn't get any key command combinations to work, but lo & behold, when I opened ADE and then plugged in the Kobo, a box popped up automatically asking me if I wanted to authorize the detected device.

Hooray!

Thanks - it's great to know there's active support out there!

Peter Sherman
peteyq2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:21 PM   #10
MomMann
MomMann began at the beginning.

Out of nowhere my Kobo also starts indicating the locked content - authorize through ADE. I have unauthorized / re-authorized from ADE, uninstalled / reinstalled ADE and reset my Kobo and still no luck.
I've double-checked and content coming straight from Kobo books library is getting onto the device and is readable.
Ironically I reinstalled ADE and downloaded a book from their site at the same time - still no luck.
Any other tricks anyone can share? Trying not to get frustrated but have had the unit since day one and to have this happen now with nothing changes seems weird.
MomMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:03 AM   #11
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Is there any chance at all that you somehow have ended up using two different ADE accounts? This can happen in a couple of ways--it happened to me when I used one email address when I set up ADE and another when I joined a book selling site that created an ADE account based on the email you signed up with. Only one ADE can be active on your Kobo at any given time.

My husband had locked contact after he installed 1.4 because he forgot to reset the date and time on his Kobo. Setting it fixed his locked content problem.

I must seem like a real wus to have had two peculiar things happen like this, but that's the way sometimes .
Old 08-27-2010, 07:15 PM   #12
MomMann
MomMann began at the beginning.

When you realized you had 2 ADE accounts on your Kobo - how did you get it back to one?

Appreciate the help
MomMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:36 PM   #13
taming
Trying for calm & polite

If you happen to have used two ADE sign ins on your Kobo account, you will have to ask them to reset your library so they have the same ADE attached. Level two support did it for me. If there are two different sellers, you will have to ask the seller with the "wrong" ADE to do the same. It is the book seller, not Adobe that has to reset the books.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:25 AM   #14
BBel
Enthusiast
BBel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo (white cos I like it better!)
I had this same prob, unfortunately no solution yet. I was on Mac. Deauthorised and reauthorised no joy, I ended up deleting all my books from the kobo and calibre (yes I lost them) deauthorised reauthorised bought a new book, no joy.
Got on my PC got a new adobe ID with a completely different email address (the PC had never been authorised) authorised bought a book, no joy. Deauthorised, reauthorised, no joy!
Kobo Customer care are looking at prob again now. It's cost me a few $$ in lost books which I legitimately own which completely sucks!! But prob is I go on holidays overseas in 9 days and don't want to take real books but my reader - I need HELP!
My hubby said he'll buy me a new one - what if I spend another $200 and same prob!?

Can anyone help me??
BBel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:20 AM   #15
taming
Trying for calm & polite

I don't know where you are, but a flash install of 1.4 can do wonders. If you are in Canada, and near a Chapters, they will not only do it for you, but will give you a coupon for a free book and a $10 discount card for Chapters-Indigo.

I am not sure why you lost your books. Didn't you have the ePUB files on your computer? Books you bought from Kobo can be downloaded again--though do be sure that you have one and only one ADE ID associated with all of them.

Last edited by taming; 08-28-2010 at 07:23 AM. Reason: too old to say what I needed to the first time