Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-18-2010, 06:37 AM   #46
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
eh, if a novel is that great (as compared to just good) I'll read it in whatever format I can get my hands on.

I care much more about the greatness of the reading than I do about the delivery method.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:51 AM   #47
GeneS
eBook Enthusiast
GeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-350, Astak PocketPro, iPhone, Asus eee Pad Transformer
After more than 40 years of trying, I finally managed to read Les Miserables from start to finish on my PDA, only because it was almost always with me and I could spend idle moments reading a few pages at a time. Yes, I would read a great book on a reader.
GeneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2010, 10:06 AM   #48
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
There are clearly differences between paper books and e-books. You acquire them differently, hold them and store them differently, and have a different experience when you read. But I see advantages in both directions.

Personally, I find it highly preferable to use a nice electronic gadget for almost any purpose. When I was still using punch cards and teletype machines, I was fascinated with video terminals to the point that I would have enjoyed one, even if it could do nothing more than type letters onto the screen, even without any useful functionality like storing a document or editing it. Just like it was exciting for a time to see yourself on a TV screen whether it was a new fangled home video camera or because a TV station filmed you for something. You probably have to remember the days before some of this technology to be able to relate to those feelings.

And when I first got a PDA, I would work very hard to use it because it was fun to use. Even if paper was better than those first PDAs in almost every way.

When I first started reading e-books, it was on one of those early Palm PDAs. Low resolution, tiny screen, not great fonts or contrast, and no color. But I loved it. I escaped the dusty paper smell that annoys me. I escaped the space it takes to store paper books. And it was fun acquiring a book via computer instantly instead of at a store.

E-books are responsible for renewing my interest in reading, and better devices will increase that enjoyment more and more. I like having control over font type and size. I like the small size of the readers. But even so, by my taste many technical books are still better in paper form. That's okay, just like it's okay if someone can immerse themselves in paper books better than e-books. That doesn't at all reduce my ability to enjoy e-books on a cool electronic gadget.

I enjoy just holding nice technology gadgets in my hand and it makes me feel good to be looking at the screen. I probably still feel some of that early amazement that such a thing is even possible. When devices are more responsive and have better displays and form factors, it will feel even better.

But there are also people that find holding paper books to be a satisfying thing as well. Just as people love to "get into nature" or go low-tech in order to relax. People find fireplaces or sitting by the beach or waterfalls to be aesthetically pleasing. Why not paper books as well? People like nice fancy notebooks or pens because they feel good. And the emotional joy I find with things electronic may not be so different than the joy others feel due to the feelings associated with paper books, as well as all the memories of times past, and memories of great books read that way. More power to them.

I suppose that people on either side of the fence can probably be justified in saying that "There's just no accounting for taste!"
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:41 AM   #49
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
The one big advantage of paper books is that the buggers haven't found a way to DRM them...yet.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:57 AM   #50
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
The one big advantage of paper books is that the buggers haven't found a way to DRM them...yet.
For which I'm thankful, albeit surprised (paper or ink that has a self destruct cycle that starts after being exposed to air? ).
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2010, 03:12 PM   #51
Paegan2246
Connoisseur
Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Touch, iPod Touch, 3-160GB iPod classics
I have read quite a few "classics" on my Kindle that I never considered reading in DTB form.
Gulliver's Travels, Robinson Caruso, War and Peace. I still can't get through Moby Dick in any form.
Paegan2246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:18 PM   #52
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paegan2246 View Post
I still can't get through Moby Dick in any form.
Ooops. I thought you said "I still can't get enough Moby Dick in any form."

Last edited by TGS; 06-18-2010 at 03:21 PM.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:46 PM   #53
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
Ooops. I thought you said "I still can't get enough Moby Dick in any form."
Groan!
Old 06-18-2010, 03:47 PM   #54
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
I was fascinated with video terminals to the point that I would have enjoyed one, even if it could do nothing more than type letters onto the screen, even without any useful functionality like storing a document or editing it.
Sounds like all the computers I ever owned as a kid/teen. I can't count the number of hours I spent writing things in BASIC on CoCo 2, Commodore 16, Commodore +4, Commodore 64, Amiga 500 (and several more models bought at flea markets long after they were obsolete) with absolutely nothing practical ever coming out of it.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:47 PM   #55
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

I still have my Commodore C64c. I started learning Basic 8.0 when they came out with the 3.5" drives and I couldn't find any programs that could take advantage of the "dramatically increased capacity" ().
Old 06-19-2010, 04:46 AM   #56
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paegan2246 View Post
Robinson Caruso
Ah... the joys of singing opera in a desert island while looking sideways at the horizon!

Spoiler:
For those who didn't get it: references to Robinson Crusoe, Enrico Caruso and David Caruso
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 06:23 AM   #57
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
My only concern is that if there were a planetary disaster or world war, we might loose everything digital. Or the ability to use anything digital, while paper books will always be useable and readable, with or without electricity or a ereader. (Of course it can deteriorate and burn as well, but it need one less intermediate between us and the contents).
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 06:30 AM   #58
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Most of the true classics like "Call of the Wild", "Hunchback of Notre Dame", "The Complete Works of Edgar Allen Poe", and so many more are often ONLY available in eBook form.
The Call of the Wild

The Hunchback of Notre Dame

The Complete Works of Edgar Allen Poe
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:03 AM   #59
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
My only concern is that if there were a planetary disaster or world war, we might loose everything digital. Or the ability to use anything digital, while paper books will always be useable and readable, with or without electricity or a ereader. (Of course it can deteriorate and burn as well, but it need one less intermediate between us and the contents).
Just don't think about what happened to the Library at Alexandria or the fall of Constantinople.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:57 AM   #60
DianaB
Voracious Reader
DianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel is

Device: Kindle Voyage
I read "War and Peace" on my kindle. The kindle was much nicer to tote around all summer than a huge paperback.
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote