Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-24-2010, 02:37 AM   #1
Roy Hinkley
Roy Hinkley began at the beginning.

Device: none
Help me decide what to get in Canada.

I would like another eBook. I have had a Kindle 2, and that is out of the question. I've posted my story here and you can look it up, I don't want to repeat it and annoy anyone.

I like the look of the Nook, and I'm not that far from the US. If I drive to the US and buy one, can I activate it in the store? Do I need a US address? I don't have one, and I'm not going to pay another company to provide one for me. Can I use the nook in Canada? I'm not particularly interested in any 'daily' feeds, and I don't mind buying books on my computer and transferring them via USB.

I did look at the Kobo, but in all honesty, it's dreadfully slooooow. I must admit that the Kindle was light years ahead in speed compared to the Kobo. I think a future firmware update will likely fix it, but since they're doing everything they can to just get them in stores, that will likely be a while off.

Sony? I like the touchscreen idea, but have read that it makes the display darker, reduces contrast and isn't very good?

As for features I want, I really want something that will allow me to read, an inline dictionary would be good, and wireless is of no importance to me. I have no problem hooking up a USB cable and dragging & dropping.

Thanks.
Roy Hinkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:47 AM   #2
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Roy. My technical partner (like you, he's in Canada) has spent some time checking out various readers first hand. All things considered, he's decided to buy the Kobo this week. He reckons, for a Canadian, it covers all bases well. He didn't mention slow page turning. I wonder if your experience might have been unrepresentative. There are several Kobo threads running here where you can ask if this is a general flaw or if the particular machine you tested might have been faulty. Hope this is of some help in making your choice. Good luck and best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2010, 12:36 PM   #3
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Roy, about six weeks ago a couple of Canadian guys here got Aluratek Libres at a good price at Costco.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote