Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-30-2013, 06:59 AM   #15466
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Now on to the Douglas Preston thriller, "Blasphemy", the 2nd book in the "Wyman Ford" series.
A very enjoyable thriller. The US has built the world's largest particle accelerator, to probe the secrets of the Big Bang. A Christian fundamentalism preacher starts a campaign against it, claiming that the research is blasphemy because it denies the existence of God. The book has a real "sting in the tail" which I didn't see coming at all. Recommended.

On now to "Dead Water", the 23rd book in Ngaio Marsh's "Inspector Alleyn" series.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:31 AM   #15467
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Currently reading: Into the Woods by Kim Harrison
On Deck: Ever After by Kim Harrison
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2013, 08:53 AM   #15468
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
And now only my other recent purchase: How Firm a Foundation by David Weber. Continuing his Safehold series, and I hope this one moves a bit faster than the previous one!
No, it didn't.

And his instance on using strange spellings for names to show the "drift" in the language is becoming more and more annoying. Especially when combined with the completely contemporary patterns of speech and vocabulary. One of the characters even refers to a "Pollyanna"!

Far too wordy, and the names are really getting to me. I'm not sure that I'll bother buying the next one in this series, even though it's now available in the UK.

OK, on to something a bit less verbose.

Asimov's SF, February 2013 by Dell Magazines.

With the demise of Fictionwise, I've had to look elsewhere for my copy of this magazine. I'm probably going to be getting it from Amazon, although the DRM is a concern.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:46 AM   #15469
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
...there is always at least one or two zombie books every day. It's a bit tiring.
Exactly. I stayed with that genre for quite a while (lots of fun), but eventually switched. I was starting to dream about zombies!

Now I'm dreaming about Elvis Cole and Joe Pike...an improvement !
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:48 AM   #15470
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Now on to the Douglas Preston thriller, "Blasphemy", the 2nd book in the "Wyman Ford" series.
I just got that one last night from my local library. Excited!!!
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2013, 09:51 AM   #15471
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Far too wordy, and the names are really getting to me. I'm not sure that I'll bother buying the next one in this series, even though it's now available in the UK.
I'm enjoying this series. You're right - the pace is leisurely, but that's no bad thing as a change from the frenetic rush of some books.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:03 AM   #15472
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Re-reading Thomas Harris' Red Dragon. Haven't read any of the Lecter books since I was a teenager, but I still have the pbooks. I don't mind purchasing them all again just to have them as an ebook.

Next I will be reading the Shift omnibus by Hugh Howey. I loved Wool . One of my favourite reads in 2012.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:04 AM   #15473
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
You could say that about murder mysteries, or love stories, or any other genre.
I disagree... "Mystery" is a genre... "Zombies" is a theme. (we are getting off topic here.)

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:09 AM   #15474
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I'm enjoying this series. You're right - the pace is leisurely, but that's no bad thing as a change from the frenetic rush of some books.
Hmm.... well, I suppose whether the pace is too slow is a matter of taste. But I can't believe you like the weird names, especially with the colloquial speech.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:52 AM   #15475
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Hmm.... well, I suppose whether the pace is too slow is a matter of taste. But I can't believe you like the weird names, especially with the colloquial speech.
It doesn't actually bother me, but I can see that some might find it irritating. Each to their own. The series does get a lot better as it goes on, to my mind, but if it doesn't appeal, they are very long books to ensure if you're not enjoying them.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:57 AM   #15476
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I am feeling it a bit with zombies though. I have a few feeds of discount Kindle books coming to me daily and for the horror genre there is always at least one or two zombie books every day. It's a bit tiring.

But then again, the vampires and paranormal romance types actually dilute the horror offerings as well, so I guess I'm just a cranky pants about it.
Twilight ruined vampires and made them sparkly and icky. They aren't proper vampires anymore.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:00 PM   #15477
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post
Struggling through Terry Brook's Sword of Shannara - boy it does resemble LOTR
If you read the Shannara series in chronological order, you will be pleasantly surprised. The Word & Void series actually comes first. I was surprised when I found out. I'm reading the 2nd book now and I like the series. Then I'll move on to the next in order. It's not all like LoTR. Just some of it is similar.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:48 PM   #15478
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you read the Shannara series in chronological order, you will be pleasantly surprised. The Word & Void series actually comes first. I was surprised when I found out. I'm reading the 2nd book now and I like the series. Then I'll move on to the next in order. It's not all like LoTR. Just some of it is similar.
HERESY! You should only read books in published order. You for one should know that.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:09 PM   #15479
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Quote:
It doesn't actually bother me, but I can see that some might find it irritating. Each to their own. The series does get a lot better as it goes on, to my mind, but if it doesn't appeal, they are very long books to ensure if you're not enjoying them.
The weird name spelling bothered me when I first started the series. After the second book, the spelling ceased to be a problem.
I also agree with Harry that a leisurely book is nice now and again.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:22 PM   #15480
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Ok.. one word... OVERDONE!

BOb
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
You could say that about murder mysteries, or love stories, or any other genre.
Or the steak I had last night...

I actually do agree that it has gone the way of vampires a bit, though there is still some good stuff being written out there.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote