Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 06-21-2010, 01:05 AM   #1
Sinner3k
Enthusiast
Sinner3k began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro, B&N Nook Classic, Pocket Edge, Kindle Fire
Aluratek ToC support...

SOOOO....

Anybody have any thoughts regarding when a new firmware might come out to support a Table of Contents on the Libres and JetBooks? I'm hoping that the fact taht Borders is selling the Aluratek in it's ebook store will help increase the popularity of this great device. The lack of ToC support is the only real bummer I've had to deal with.

Honestly, how hard would it be to add in this support?

Anybody know if there is a place on the official website to request something like this?
Sinner3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:15 AM   #2
uRwhatUr
Groupie
uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.

Device: Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner3k View Post
Anybody know if there is a place on the official website to request something like this?
The only ways I can suggest to you is the live chat and their support ticket system.
uRwhatUr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:35 PM   #3
Sinner3k
Enthusiast

I've already pestered them by opening a ticket. I'm hoping that if other users do the same, they might actually add this function to their firmware.

With that in mind, here's the link to request a ticket along the same lines:

http://helpdesk.aluratek.com/index.php?pid=newticket

Hopefully, enough requests for the feature will get it added to the firmware.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:31 AM   #4
uRwhatUr
Groupie
uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.

Device: Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner3k View Post
I've already pestered them by opening a ticket. I'm hoping that if other users do the same,
Ok, I'm in --- just opened a ticket.
uRwhatUr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:03 PM   #5
Sinner3k
Enthusiast

That's the spirit!! Now we just have to get everybody else on the TOC bandwagon. A lot of Libre and JBL users come to these forums, so I figured this was the best place to come to recruit people to help the cause.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:06 PM   #6
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
The new Jetbook firmware (0.35a) does indeed support ToC for ePUBs.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:21 AM   #7
Sinner3k
Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Well, that's encouraging news. I didn't think that it would be difficult for TOC support to be added to the Libre, but if it is already supported for the JB's, there really is no viable reason why the Libre shouldn't get that function soon.

Thanks for the info, Kralik.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:39 AM   #8
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you are brave (or foolish, as it were) you could always try to get the JB firmware on your Libre.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:16 PM   #9
Sinner3k
Enthusiast

Yeah, I think I'll just bide my time and wait for an official firmware release. It's all about risk versus reward.

Thanks again for the intel on the JB firmware.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:23 PM   #10
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
With FW 35a for the jetBook - not JBL now has TOC support for both ePub and PDF files providing that the ebook was created with interactive TOC enabled.

This FW also gave the jetBook "Text Flow" support within PDF. This acts like "Wordwrap" in MS-Notebook. As you zoom in to increase text size the text line will automatically wrap around to the next line.

This also screws around with image locations within the doc but you can always turn off "Text Flow" to view the complete page but then you are back into panning the screen if you zoom beyond full page view.

This is a marked improvement with re: to the ability to read PDF documents that were designed for a large screen or paper (8 x 10) etc. Not all small screen dedicated ereaders have this feature - hence all the PDF complaints.

The Aluratek Libre Pro already has the Text Flow feature built in for PDF documents as well as TOC's for PDF documents.

Just because the PDF document displays a TOC as part of the document body doesn't mean that the PDF creator enabled the TOC handling code into the PDF.

I have tried TOC on several PDF manuals for various hardware devices. Some produce an interactive TOC while others do not.

By the way I am not sure but the 35a firmware might originate with Ectaco. The FW 35a2 is an individual's custom version of 35a adding the ability to add a new font for ePub books.

The regular FW 35a displays via the firmware release display within the settings menus but the custom 35a2 boots you back to the main menu when you try to display the installed firmware level. Not really a big issue given the benefits of having a different font used within ePub. I activated the serif font provided in the sample script.

My JB unit came installed with FW .34c/P-15 but Ectaco still shows 33g on their web site so that says a lot about keeping clients aware of updates.

John

Last edited by jlg432; 06-23-2010 at 12:36 PM.
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:47 PM   #11
Kralik
Guru

Ectaco has been quiet about it, so I'm not sure how it was discovered, but 0.35a is indeed from them:

http://www.ectaco.com/ectaco-posts/list/19795.page

a2 is tselling's nifty hack.