Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-10-2012, 12:30 AM   #136
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
re #129 - can you manage PW collections via Calibre? I thought the collections manager plugin didn't work for the PW.
It works if your PW is jailbroken and you have then installed Ixtab's collection manager on it. I did and the plugin works perfectly well then.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:44 AM   #137
Vmurph
Cat Whisperer
Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1, and iPhone XS Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post

Vmurph, thank you. Thanks to your very precise instruction,
AKA: long winded. (LOL, a little habit of mine...one that isn't quite so appreciated here at home)

Anyway... You're very welcome.
Vmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:22 AM   #138
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
^ Not at all long winded: I have two left hands and mess everything up that I touch, so it put me a but at ease. Of course, I have mone of the tools I would need for this, so I am thinking of trying a nail file on that corner :S
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:18 AM   #139
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
My purple case from the OP link has just arrived (10 Dec), I'm in the UK and bought it on 30 November. For just over £10 I think it's great, a big saving on the official cover.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0283.JPG
Views:	355
Size:	308.3 KB
ID:	97511   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0284.JPG
Views:	362
Size:	524.7 KB
ID:	97512   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0285.JPG
Views:	353
Size:	281.5 KB
ID:	97513  
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:48 AM   #140
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
That looks very nice, and a much nicer shade of purple than the official cover (which I have). Mine is way too dark. Hard to tell apart from black, when my readers are stacked up.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:03 AM   #141
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmurph View Post
Yes, that same ebay seller has covers for all of the current kindle models. For some reason he's listing the different colors separately, so you'll have to browse through his listings to find a color you want. The K4 ones are only $9.90.

I'm typing this from my iPod, so I don't have a link for you. But his user ID is "googleproduct". Just go to his eBay store and search the word "kindle" along with the number "4".

He even has lighted covers for just $19.99.
Thank you for this info! I have been looking for a cover like this for my Kindle Touch. I'm going to pick one up, these covers look really nice!
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:47 PM   #142
Vmurph
Cat Whisperer
Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
There is a screensaver you can choose that is different than even the ads. Hold on/off button for about 6 seconds to switch to a completely white background. You can call it snowstorm in the snow.
ROFL! Thanks for the tip, DuckieTigger

and...

@Lyn2012: nice photos! Now we know that the purple really is purple. Unlike the Amazon version, which looks like vivid ROYAL purple in the photos and is actually an extremely DARK plum.

@Sparklemotion: you're very welcome
Old 12-10-2012, 08:38 PM   #143
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
@Lyn2012: nice photos! Now we know that the purple really is purple. Unlike the Amazon version, which looks like vivid ROYAL purple in the photos and is actually an extremely DARK plum.
Actually, I like the darker purple better. Not so much red or pinkish purple. Mine from Amazon looks close to the pictures online. Maybe your monitor is a bit too bright or saturated?
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:43 PM   #144
Raye
Raye will become famous soon enoughRaye will become famous soon enoughRaye will become famous soon enoughRaye will become famous soon enoughRaye will become famous soon enoughRaye will become famous soon enoughRaye will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
I found an alternative to the official kindle case in nicer colors on Ebay and ordered two as presents. They cost $12.

They do not seem to have a wake function, so I'll try to add a magnet to them and see how it goes, and I am not sure this is real leather.

I figured others may be looking for either a cheaper price or a real red

CORRECTION: in the youtube video, it looks like it may have a sleep/wake function.
I bought the one in pink-red and the quality is good. Just a bit thick.
Raye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:32 PM   #145
Vmurph
Cat Whisperer

Quote:
Mine from Amazon looks close to the pictures online. Maybe your monitor is a bit too bright or saturated?
That's exactly it. I've been viewing them from my 5th gen iPod Touch and my husband's iPad (both retina displays), and the colors are more saturated and brighter. However, only the images provided by Amazon look that way. The images uploaded by customers look normal (less saturated and darker).

I just viewed them from my laptop and the Amazon ones look normal now. Weird. I've seen saturation and hues vary from one display to the next, but it's always affected *all* images, not just certain ones. My guess is that Amazon's images were saved using a different palette than the others (like CMYK instead of RGB) and that those colors just appear brighter on Apple's displays.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:50 PM   #146
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's exactly it. I've been viewing them from my 5th gen iPod Touch and my husband's iPad (both retina displays), and the colors are more saturated and brighter. However, only the images provided by Amazon look that way. The images uploaded by customers look normal (less saturated and darker).

I just viewed them from my laptop and the Amazon ones look normal now. Weird. I've seen saturation and hues vary from one display to the next, but it's always affected *all* images, not just certain ones. My guess is that Amazon's images were saved using a different palette than the others (like CMYK instead of RGB) and that those colors just appear brighter on Apple's displays.
Yes I believe it has something to do with color space. But I would not go as far as cmyk for amazon. Even in rgb there is different versions - see http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/RGB_color_space for example. Not sure if apple screws that up on purpose, or maybe ios default translation from one space to the display color space is overcompensating. I only know for sure that there is a reason why calibrating a monitor is so damn expensive - especially if you depend on it for a living (e.g. printproofing).
Old 12-10-2012, 11:18 PM   #147
Vmurph
Cat Whisperer

Quote:
Yes I believe it has something to do with color space. But I would not go as far as cmyk for amazon. Even in rgb there is different versions - see http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/RGB_color_space for example. Not sure if apple screws that up on purpose, or maybe ios default translation from one space to the display color space is overcompensating. I only know for sure that there is a reason why calibrating a monitor is so damn expensive - especially if you depend on it for a living (e.g. printproofing).
Ah! That makes sense. So Apple devices probably have wide-gamut displays.

Thanks for the link. Very informative.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:24 PM   #148
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Cover from August compared to Amazon

The cover I ordered just 3 days ago from ebay (post#27, or here) arrived today per usps. They originally said it would be here dec 22-27. So for a speedy delivery. The cover is beautiful, love the color. I made a few pictures with side by side of the official Royal Purple cover. As you can see, the brown cover has a significant smaller footprint (hope it shows enough in the pictures), weighs only 2/3 - the Amazon cover weighs in at approx 150 grams, while the brown one is about 100 grams. Without the device in it, only the Amazon cover shuts correctly, as in the other cover you need to have the PW, as there will be gaps all around sort of. The color I ordered is Coffee, and it is a really nice dark brown, but very far away from beeing black. I am glad I did not order the lighter brown - this one is perfect for me The Amazon one is perfect too, but for my wife.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 01-21-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:14 PM   #149
Vmurph
Cat Whisperer

Quote:
The cover I ordered just 3 days ago from ebay (post#27, arrived today per usps.
Mine arrived today also! Same color, too. I used the same auction, but mine was ordered 5 days ago. He took 3 days to ship it.

I actually got two of them...a brown and a black. The black one is fine, but the brown one's lid won't close. The leather hinge is a smidgen too short (narrow?) and it won't allow the lid to go all the way down. It only goes about halfway, sitting at a 45 degree angle! I'm going to see if I can figure out a way to stretch the hinge a little, to see if that'll help.

Btw, how is the closure flap on yours? On both of mine, the magnets are so weak that it's like they're not even there. The flap just flops over like a loose piece of leather. There's a hint of magnetism in it, but I could probably blow it open with my breath, lol.

Other than that, I love the deep brown color. I went ahead and removed the closure flap from the brown one. I didn't cut the flap, I just used a stitch remover and snipped out the stitches in the back and it came right off. It left a row if tiny holes where the stitches used to be, but it's hardly noticeable.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:53 PM   #150
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Btw, how is the closure flap on yours? On both of mine, the magnets are so weak that it's like they're not even there. The flap just flops over like a loose piece of leather. There's a hint of magnetism in it, but I could probably blow it open with my breath, lol.
Mine seems to be alright. Unless the flap lays flat against cover it won't stay shut. Magnet is barely strong enough to hold cover shut, but that is what it is supposed to do. I can open the cover without opening the flap first.

Quote:
Other than that, I love the deep brown color. I went ahead and removed the closure flap from the brown one. I didn't cut the flap, I just used a stitch remover and snipped out the stitches in the back and it came right off. It left a row if tiny holes where the stitches used to be, but it's hardly noticeable.
Glad you like the color as well. I will leave my flap on at least until I get my Kindle to see if it stays shut with it hn there, but looks like it will.