Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-28-2012, 04:40 PM   #166
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I think Amazon's doing *something* to them... it says it's got 19 days in the top 100.
Kindle books available for pre-order often show up on that list well before they actually come out. :shrug
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:55 PM   #167
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
People thinking Amazon is tampering with the sales figures are grasping at the shortest of straws.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2012, 05:38 PM   #168
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Heard an interview/discussion of this on NPR this morning and it sounded very interesting, something I might like to read (was never much interested in reading H.P. -- please don't shoot me) but I'll be d*mned if I'll pay $18 for the ebook. That's outrageous!

Now if it were E.L. Doctorow or John Irving ....

Just downloaded the sample and read the first few pages.....it's a pass...

Last edited by kennyc; 09-28-2012 at 06:38 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:21 PM   #169
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I don't doubt it's the #1 book on amazon. But without number sold, we don't reallly know how well it is really doing.

Analogy: the #1 movie this week is a far cry from #1 movie in first week of June.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:46 PM   #170
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Heard an interview/discussion of this on NPR this morning and it sounded very interesting, something I might like to read (was never much interested in reading H.P. -- please don't shoot me) but I'll be d*mned if I'll pay $18 for the ebook. That's outrageous!

Now if it were E.L. Doctorow or John Irving ....

Just downloaded the sample and read the first few pages.....it's a pass...

There is no way that I will buy the ebook at $18. I'll wait for the price to come down or try and get the ebook from my library.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2012, 08:46 PM   #171
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I'll wait for the price to come down or try and get the ebook from my library.
The person in front of me at my neighborhood library was yesterday reserving the paper edition. I just checked, and they have 308 queued requests.

After perusing the review in yesterday's New York Times, you would have to hold a gun to my head to get me to read this book. But I know that's not a real popular newspaper on this board
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:12 PM   #172
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
What do you mean by 'another'?
She hasn't written any. No book containing magic whilst treating it with such astronomic amounts of logical inconsistency like the HPs do deserves to be called Fantasy. Say it's a sociocritical allegory or whatever - fine.
But to call it Fantasy is an eye-bleeding statement to read.
Harry Potter is fantasy. It may not be the kind you prefer to read, and you may have issues with the quality, but it most certainly is fantasy.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:58 AM   #173
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Preorders count towards sales. That is why it has 19 days in the top 100 but is only out a day.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:17 AM   #174
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilica View Post
The price of the book on Amazon is 8.55$ and B&N Nook version is 17.99$
Logic?
No. That's not correct. The new Rowling eBook is an agency eBook. So at Amazon it is also $17.99. This is of course, in the US.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:36 AM   #175
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
I think Amazon's doing *something* to them... it says it's got 19 days in the top 100.
They are probably including presales.

I am not interested, it is nota genre I read. I read that it is not selling as we'll in physical book stores but that can easily change. It was selling on par with any other release and stores knew it wasn't Potter so they did not over stock.

As for the length of the Potter novels, I read that she is thinking of a "directors cut" for book 7. She is not fully happy with it and thinks it could be tightened up. Even with all the money she made the deadline got to her and she did not want to delay the release. At least she knows that there are issues with the book.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:53 AM   #176
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
My guess is that it includes pre-orders.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #177
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
No. That's not correct. The new Rowling eBook is an agency eBook. So at Amazon it is also $17.99. This is of course, in the US.
In that case I would like somebody to explain to me - how come it is an agency ebook in US, but is not an agency book in India? On Amazon India it's listed as Amazon price and it is 8.55$.
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:29 AM   #178
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilica View Post
In that case I would like somebody to explain to me - how come it is an agency ebook in US, but is not an agency book in India? On Amazon India it's listed as Amazon price and it is 8.55$.
Just because the US publisher is an agency publisher does not mean the Indian one is, too. Remember, it's a different territory.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:33 AM   #179
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Kindle books available for pre-order often show up on that list well before they actually come out. :shrug
Which means they've got almost three weeks of sales data crammed into one day; of course it's selling well.

That's one of the tricks of the trade that I don't think is available to self-publishers.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:05 PM   #180
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
Just because the US publisher is an agency publisher does not mean the Indian one is, too. Remember, it's a different territory.
You mean Hachette Digital is agency publisher in US, but a non agency one in India? Because it's the same publisher for both the territories
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote