Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 04-02-2012, 05:27 AM   #1
Elle518
Elle518 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Create a space between some paragraphs

Hi everyone! I'm trying to figure it out how is the best/correct way to create spaces between some paragraphs.
I have different choices to make:

1st. Between .space { margin-top:2.5 em; }/.space { padding-top:2.5em; }

2nd. Between
Code:
<p>Text</p>
<p class="space">Text</p>
or
Code:
<p>Text</p>
<p class="space"></p>
<p>Text</p>
With this one I have the doubt if it's correct to leave code without any text between the tags.

or
Code:
<p>Text</p>
<p class="space">&nbsp;</p>
<p>Text</p>
Please, could you show me the best way to do it?
A lot of thanks!!!
Elle518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:13 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Depends. I use your first and you last solution. The middle one can be ignored by a reader. If it is a section break, I tend to use the last option. If it is for something else, I would probably use the first one.

Also, with your last option, you don't need the style 'space'. You just get an empty line.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:58 AM   #3
Keroberos
Zealot
Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini (4GB), Nook Classic wi-fi, iPod Touch (Bluefire Reader)
I always use something like this,
Code:
.space{margin-top:2,5em;}

<p>Text</p>
<p class="space">More Text</p>
Unless it's a section break, then I use a small centered image with top and bottom margins because with reflowable text if the section break happens on a page break it is difficult to tell if it's a section break.
Keroberos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:57 PM   #4
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle518 View Post
1st. Between .space { margin-top:2.5 em; }/.space { padding-top:2.5em; }
In a "common" paragraph, there isn't a visible difference between margin and padding. Both is valid.
If you use a border around the paragraph or some background-color, then there is a big difference.
mmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:34 PM   #5
uieluck
Connoisseur
uieluck began at the beginning.

Device: iphone, ipad, kindle, nook
If you're working in InDesign, you can make a style that has space below or above to provide white space between paragraphs.
uieluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:12 PM   #6
Tennyoelf
Tennyoelf began at the beginning.

Device: All
For some reason I use this -

p.breakinp
{
text-indent:20px;
margin-top:0;
margin-left: 0;
margin-right:0;
font-family:"Times New Roman", Times, serif;
font-size:12px;
margin-bottom: 2em;
}

- for my paragraphs that need space between them. However Kobo Vox (the native reader) does not read it. I have no idea why. I'm kind of lost because those spaces are really needed. None of my CSS margins are being read. Every other device reads it, just not the Kobo reader or the Kobo Vox or the other android reader. Is my CSS too primitive? Or is my code funky? I use both Sigil and Calibre.
Tennyoelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:22 PM   #7
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Slightly off-topic... Do you really want a font size of 12 PIXELS? That's pretty tiny on a 167 dpi screen like the Kobo. And I always do my text-indent in ems... I don't know if checking on an old Kobo would help you.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennyoelf View Post
For some reason I use this -

p.breakinp
{
text-indent:20px;
margin-top:0;
margin-right:0;
font-family:"Times New Roman", Times, serif;
font-size:12px;
margin-bottom: 2em;
}

- for my paragraphs that need space between them. However Kobo Vox (the native reader) does not read it. I have no idea why. I'm kind of lost because those spaces are really needed. None of my CSS margins are being read. Every other device reads it, just not the Kobo reader or the Kobo Vox or the other android reader. Is my CSS too primitive? Or is my code funky? I use both Sigil and Calibre.
Not very good code overall...

Here is the same code fixed up....

Code:
.breakinp {
  text-indent: 0;
  margin-top: 30px;
  margin-right: 0;
  margin-bottom: 0
}
That's all you need. It does work with ADE. The code to use it would be...

Code:
<p class="breakinp">Your paragraph here.</p>

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-08-2012 at 06:38 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:18 AM   #9
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

Code:
.breakinp {
  text-indent: 0
}
That's all you need. It does work with ADE.
Did you test it with ADE? It's missing a ";" after "text-indent: 0".
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:06 PM   #10
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
I'm still not comfortable with using pixels for any measurement in an epub. The dpi for various screens goes from 100 (or less) for some lcd screens usp to 200 for a 5 inch E-Ink screen, and maybe more for a Retina display. The visual effect will be quite unpleasant.

And I would use margin: 0.5em, 0, 0; or margin 0.5em, 0, 0, 0; remembering that margins start aat the top and go around clockwise. A two valued margin doesn't do waht you want, and I always forget that it is the side margins that are duplicated with the three valued margin.

@yekim54 - You know he didn't try exactly what he typed with ADE ADE would have thrown out his whole style sheet for that missing semicolon
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:38 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yekim54 View Post
Did you test it with ADE? It's missing a ";" after "text-indent: 0".
OOPPSS!

It was a typo. It's been fixed.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:44 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

For those that like ems instead of my 30px, here is the code....

Code:
.breakinp {
  margin-top: 2em;
}

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-08-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:18 AM   #13
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
And I would use margin: 0.5em, 0, 0; or margin 0.5em, 0, 0, 0;
with kommas between the values ?
mmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:12 PM   #14
Tennyoelf
Tennyoelf began at the beginning.

Device: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

Code:
.breakinp {
}
That's all you need. It does work with ADE. The code to use it would be...

Code:
<p class="breakinp">Your paragraph here.</p>
I'm just getting back into coding after years away, so I figured my code was messy. Thanks for the input. I do need indents for the paragraph though, would that be a class element for the body?

And I'm curious why you picked margins at the top instead of the bottom, is there a reason for that?

Thanks again!
Tennyoelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:53 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennyoelf View Post
I'm just getting back into coding after years away, so I figured my code was messy. Thanks for the input. I do need indents for the paragraph though, would that be a class element for the body?

And I'm curious why you picked margins at the top instead of the bottom, is there a reason for that?

Thanks again!
I have been using balanced top/bottom margins for <P> tags

No bottom means that the last line ends at the Hard Bottom (without any bottom white space. That might just make a difference on some pages.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote